VOGONS

First post, by poeee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This project has been going on for too long! Time to get serious! I found myself spending a few nights playing with stuff, to have it not perform as I want and then pack it up for months.

Goal: to play Grand Prix 3.

GP3 was a massive part of my mid-to-late teens. I was heavily involved in both the racing and mod communities. Although the graphics at the time were rather lacklustre, it was and is still one of the best driving simulators.
Originally I was planning on building a setup from parts circa 2000. I ultimately want to set up a system as close to the one I had at the time, but for now the hunt for hardware can wait. I had a Celeron 850 mATX system with a TNT2 M64. I do have some PIII gear, but don't have a suitable WORKING graphics card from that era.

The main ingredient was the steering wheel. I had a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel. It was brilliant, and held together well for years. I am talking hardcore use. It did eventually fall apart. It might take me a while to find one, but I need to get one of these wheels again! I did pick up a Logitech Momo Racing wheel at the local market for $2. It seems to be in good condition, but I haven't given it a good run yet.

The brilliant thing with this project is that GP3 only runs correctly in Win95/98/ME. As far as I remember it crashes when replaying hot laps and such in XP (presume the same in 2k). Once WinXP was released back in the day, I used a Win98SE and XP dual boot setup.

About two years ago I played with a plethora of old junk that I had laying around and didn’t have any luck. Surprisingly, I couldn’t get the Athlon XP system that I use in my shed for car manuals to even start Win98SE after installation. I also had issues with sound cards in another 2ghz Celeron box I had. I think I tried an old soundblaster live card I had laying around, but the system never gave me any love and the project was put aside! I might have been using more than 512mb RAM, so that may have been the issue. Can’t remember exactly.

Now we arrive at where I am currently. I found P4 3ghz and Gigabyte 8I865GME motherboard at an opp shop for few bucks, and used it to teach my 9yo son about computer components. As it was sitting on my kitchen table and running, I thought I’d revisit this project. I still had no luck. Although Windows 98SE installed fine, I couldn’t get GP3 to start! Not sure if it was the group of drivers I cobbled together for the motherboard. Even tried adding an AGP card. I was ready to chuck it in.

I had one more option, and luckily persevered.

Current successful (well for now at least) specs are.
AMD Athlon 64 2800+
Gigabyte K8NS rev1.1 (nForce3)
1x 512mb DDR RAM
ATI Radian 9550SE
40gb Maxtor Fireball 3 IDE

I was relying on my previous experience from back in the day. It’s not as easy as I thought it would be, trying to use old worn out hardware or hardware that was never intended to be compatible with Windows 98. It’s only now that I’ve found this forum after all this screwing around, thanks to watching some of PhilsComputerLab’s YouTube videos last night. Those videos and these forums have also confirmed that maybe I’m heading in the right direction with hardware, as this motherboard supports SATA which will allow me to use modern SSDs (hopefully with Win98SE), and the Windows 98 drivers have been easy enough to find.

Next step is to attempt to get my wheel to work!

Last edited by poeee on 2016-05-14, 06:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 13, by poeee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The $2 8I865GME and P4 3ghz I was trying. At this stage I thought I was on to a winner.
8b682c3d-8198-40e6-88f3-a327f4ae9944_zps0jdjw0ln.jpg

The mess that was the K8NS and A64 2800+ after the 8I865GME didn't do what I wanted.
IMG_13231_zpstzdywfgi.jpg

BINGO!
IMG_13221_zpsity1b3dk.jpg

Now lets tidy it up a bit.
IMG_13241_zpsweow2fli.jpg

The entry level Radeon 9550SE AGP.
IMG_13261_zpsk5exfrku.jpg

The RAM.
IMG_13311_zpsyfedjhyv.jpg

Reply 2 of 13, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice 😁

I like it when game fascinates one so much to build a PC just to experience it 😁

I did the same with Splinter Cell for example.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 13, by poeee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Nice 😁

I like it when game fascinates one so much to build a PC just to experience it 😁

Thank you very much for the inspiration through your YouTube channel!

Reply 4 of 13, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ohhh, the memories!
Trying to play GP4 with a Celeron 1.7 / 256MB RAM / Intel HD Graphics (then a FX5200). Painfull process!

Very nice!

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 5 of 13, by poeee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GeorgeMan wrote:

Ohhh, the memories!
Trying to play GP4 with a Celeron 1.7 / 256MB RAM / Intel HD Graphics (then a FX5200). Painfull process!

My old Celeron 850 / 128mb RAM / TNT2 M64 didn't like GP4 either!

It was soon after GP4 was released that I built my favorite computer ever. Athlon XP 2100+ Thoroughbred B (with stock cooling it ran at 2800+ clock/multiplier all day every day) / EPoX 8RDA+ / 256mb DDR / Geforce 4 ti4200 128mb AGP8x. That thing had no problem!

Reply 6 of 13, by poeee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Much better! Now to find a case to replace the one I've built this in to. This one is RUBBISH!
98001_zpsz0av0dbg.jpg

More importantly, lets have some fun with it! Here is my 9yo son playing Worms 2 and The Incredible Machine 3 (I think I remember it as Professor Tim's Incredible Machines?). These games both still feel as fresh as they ever did, and my kids love them as much as anything they have ever played! Worth my effort for sure. Maybe I'll need to build another 98 box as at this rate I'll never get to play GP3!
98002_zpstogqcqjw.jpg
98003_zpsuoog3bck.jpg

Reply 7 of 13, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You might want to swap that NB heatsink - it gets real hot. I had two K8NS (which are really good boards) die on me because of that.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 8 of 13, by poeee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PcBytes wrote:

You might want to swap that NB heatsink - it gets real hot. I had two K8NS (which are really good boards) die on me because of that.

Thanks for the tip. I need to do something about the cpu fan too. It's quite loud. I'll probably just adapt a quieter fan on to the stock heatsink.

Reply 9 of 13, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey cool thread! It’s great to see young’uns playing the classics – I find that my kids are just as engaged with a DOS game as they are with an Xbox 360 game. It’s all new and exciting to them I guess - I miss that 😢

I’ve never tried GP3 but I played GP2 a lot back in the day. Actually when I say “a lot”, it could just be that I played a small amount of it very slowly. I started off trying to run it on my DX2 66, which of course wasn’t up to the challenge of the SVGA mode. It gives me a thrill to run GP2 maxed out on my PIII 1Ghz – I’ll have to track down GP3 and see how that goes.

My wheel of choice is the old Thrustmaster GP1 (with paddles, not peddles). I see them being sold as NOS pretty regularly, so I’m betting you could find yours easily enough too.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 10 of 13, by poeee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gameplay/physics on GP2 are very similar to GP3 (same can be said about GP4). At the time people didn't give GP3 the credit that it deserved because as an actual physics/driving simulation, GP2 was already brilliant. GP3 simply didn't add enough in regards to 'prettiness'. By the time GP4 came out, the series' was already on the back foot to its competitors. However, as a raw driving simulator they were all way ahead of their time. GP3 was simply timed right for me growing up, and hence this is the one I hold dear to my heart.

Reply 11 of 13, by poeee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It feels like I've installed windows 98 about 100 times in the last few days. It's all happy until I try to get the Logitech Momo Racing wheel working properly. The Logitech software/drivers requires DX8 or above, and I think this may be the issue. No problems anywhere with DX7.

I know that GP3 never worked 100% in XP, but I can't remember if I ever tried it under 2000 as I assumed it would give similar problems. I might also give ME a go, as later updates of DX9 support it.

Lets hope a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel turns up soon!

Reply 12 of 13, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Nice 😁

My single most important (only?) reason to dive into retro computing was being able to play TIE Fighter Collectors edition. 😊

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 13 of 13, by poeee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I'm finally there!

Much to the younger me's amazement, Windows ME was my saviour. Everything including the wheel is working as it should.