1ghz tbird setup.

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 38, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

The msi board is junk and will be returned. Sucks as it was new old stock. I had a mint box and everything 😒

I got a fic sd11 rev 1.8. I have them in the past and they never let me down.
I also picked up a voodoo1 for the system.

The Voodoo 1 won't work with a FSB above 66 correctly. Games will either have glitchy textures or hard lock the machine.

Reply 23 of 38, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:

The Voodoo 1 won't work with a FSB above 66 correctly. Games will either have glitchy textures or hard lock the machine.

It will work. I used voodoo1 on xp 64bit with Athlon xp systems before. That and a Prescott pent 4 systems.

And games work correctly? Hm, multiple threads on here says using anything above a Pentium II 233 (66 FSB) gave them issues.

Reply 27 of 38, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, there are heat issues though with them. I used to run SLI Voodoo 2s in a Pentium 4 @ 2.8 GHz and they got hot as hell. But still, I'm pretty sure there will still be issues with the Voodoo 1 on this fast of a machine, especially DOS games. Some games (like Quake 3) aren't effected though.

Reply 29 of 38, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

You have a problem if they're running hot as hell. That's not do to the lack of a cpu bottleneck being removed.

I was over exaggerating a little 😜
I meant they ran pretty hot, not finger burning though.

Reply 31 of 38, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

It should not run hot even on a new system if you have good case air flow and noting hot close by. Warm or very warm yes. If you have bad air flow and both card butting up against each other maybe.

Well, I haven't them in that P4 machine in a while (It's in the garbage, where it belongs 😉) but I remember them as being decently hot. And multiple other sources say the same.

Reply 35 of 38, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:

Agreed. Going back to the Voodoo 1, it still may (and probably will) have issues under DOS and certain Windows games.

Nope. I'm not overclocking the pci buss.

It isn't because of the PCI bus speed, it's based on the FSB.