VOGONS

DUDE, show me your Dell!

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 146, by ElementalChaos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's the current state of my Dell Dimension 4100, my quintessential late-90s rig. 98SE was giving me a bit too much trouble, crashing left and right, and I never intended to use this computer for DOS games anyways, so I went with Windows Me after replacing the hard drive yet again. Also, the original CD-RW drive has all of a sudden gotten super finicky and constantly stopping the computer from booting, so I swapped in a DVD-ROM drive from a Dell Dimension E510. Looks weird, but works.

Everything has gone super smoothly so far. The new stuff like native USB flash drive support, built-in picture viewer, and System Restore (once you get the patch that stops it from breaking after September 8th 2001) has all been super helpful. Me has far worse of a rep than it deserves. Let's hope the hard drive doesn't die on me this time.

ZWwalCpl.jpg

Pluto, the maxed out Dell Dimension 4100: Pentium III 1400S | 256MB | GeForce4 Ti4200 + Voodoo4 4500 | SB Live! 5.1
Charon, the DOS and early Windows time machine: K6-III+ 600 | 256MB | TNT2 Ultra + Voodoo3 2000 | Audician 32 Plus

Reply 21 of 146, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

this topic is taking off a little better then i thought it would, and yes i get that non standard computers are a pain but hey there cheap and almost free some of us hobbyist cant afford to buy stuff off of ebay all the time so we take what is given. Ive seen some people make some pretty cool stuff out of what they have. also have bit of a nostalgia for dell i always wanted a dimension 4100 bad cuz it had a cd burner in the commercials

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 23 of 146, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote:

Various permutations of my OptiPlex GXa and Dimension 466 DMT builds. Oh, boy...

Oh boy, indeed! Could you give a rundown on all those glorious sound cards? 😲

Reply 26 of 146, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice systems! 😎
Good to see there are people that collect those.
I don't like how proprietary they are 😐

Those Dell P1110 are my favorite CRTs!
I used it until I had a 60Hz Problem and then had to "upgrade" to a TFT 😒

The only Dells I had where some totally beat up Pentium 4s.
They went this way:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwam-9FBLrbX8NcUT8CO06Db9J5PM40qJh9ancVoRV-aKERhvq-A

Reply 27 of 146, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cloudschatze wrote:
Various permutations of my OptiPlex GXa and Dimension 466 DMT builds. Oh, boy... […]
Show full quote

Various permutations of my OptiPlex GXa and Dimension 466 DMT builds. Oh, boy...

466dmt.jpg

466dmti_s.jpg

The first Dell Dimension 466 DMT minitower I've ever seen happens to be the _coolest_ Dell Dimension 466 DMT ever. Classic!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 28 of 146, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i love the looks of that 466 dmt, so clean too

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 29 of 146, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
archsan wrote:

The first Dell Dimension 466 DMT minitower I've ever seen happens to be the _coolest_ Dell Dimension 466 DMT ever. Classic!

Indeed, it looks such a great looking case in awesome condition!

Reply 30 of 146, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Cloudschatze: Got enough sound cards in those rigs? Better yet, got enough IRQs to make them all work at once? 😜

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 31 of 146, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sutekh94 wrote:

@Cloudschatze: Got enough sound cards in those rigs? Better yet, got enough IRQs to make them all work at once? 😜

IRQs were never a problem. As relates to the older Dimension photographs, all cards were concurrently usable and accessible, exactly as pictured, and without any resource juggling whatsoever.

I'd documented the configuration and resources of the earlier build iterations in this thread, where there's even a link to a demonstration video:

The MIDI General

That thread is in need of updating though, as there have been yet further component and configuration changes, both for the sake of usability and practicality, and also to mitigate the one thing that really has been a problem - heat.

I never did create a thread for the OptiPlex build...

Reply 32 of 146, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I cannot beleive this is real... can you please show us a msd pci irq assignation ? Also DMA, who got high and who got low ?
maybe that was one of those computers featuring "shared irq" thing ....

Reply 33 of 146, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote:
Various permutations of my OptiPlex GXa and Dimension 466 DMT builds. Oh, boy... […]
Show full quote

466dmt.jpg

I'll call your Dimension 466 DMT, and raise you my Dimension XPS 466DV

DSCF2780_zpsbasjfvny.jpg
DSCF2785_zps0c2z1eoo.jpg

Reply 34 of 146, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My PERSONAL Dell PC is a Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2 laptop running Windows XP Home SP3 32-bit. The current specs:

17" 1920x1200 LED display
Intel Pentium M 2.1GHz
2GB DDR2-800 (1GBx2)
nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB PCI-Express
250GB PATA IDE Hard Drive (formatted to 40GB C: for Windows XP, then 200+ GB D: for games and data)
DVD/CD-RW (cannot burn DVDs...kind of miss that eventually)

I've replaced the motherboard once. I've replaced the graphics card from the original 6800 Ultra once, I've replaced the LED Screen panel once. It only supports 802.11 a/b/g and no N or AC. I've bought a cheap replacement battery, only to have it die and then I bought a $110 Dell original replacement and it works to this day perfectly. It STILL runs. I use it for Final Fantasy 11 and the kinds of games that era 2005-2008 would run like Elder Scrolls Morrowind and Oblivions.

Attachments

• DSC00621.JPG
    Filename
    DSC00621.JPG
    File size
    3.81 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • DSC00620.JPG
    Filename
    DSC00620.JPG
    File size
    3.85 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSC00618.JPG
    Filename
    DSC00618.JPG
    File size
    4.13 MiB
    Views
    File license

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 35 of 146, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just got an XPS 700 black that I am in the process of upgrading. I'm pulling the Core 2 Duo E6600 and replacing it with a QX6800 and the HD5850 is too weak for newer games so I'm dropping a R9 380x into it. The QX6800 may be a bottleneck to the R9, but at some point I'm going to replace the stock motherboard with a later one that allows overclocking and faster processors as the original XPS 700 BIOS doesn't allow that, not that I have found anyway.

Reply 36 of 146, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have 4 Dells laying around here.

An Optiplex GX60
An Optiplex GX150 on a GX270 case
An Optiplex 170L
And a upgraded Dimension 5100

I'll post pics and specs later

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 37 of 146, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also have this Dell. It's an old computer, but not old enough to be considered vintage yet.

Dell Vostro 230
Motherboard: Dell MIG41R Revision A01
BIOS: Revision 1.4.0 (latest from Dell)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 LGA775 "Wolfdale" @ 2.97 GHz
Memory: 4096 MB (2GB x 2) Crucial DDR3- 1066MHz
HDD: Western Digital Caviar 640GB SATA
Optical: TSSTCorp DVD-RW SATA
PSU: Dell 300Watt standard ATX
Service Tag: B7Z5BP1
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Attachments

• DSC00612.JPG
    Filename
    DSC00612.JPG
    File size
    4.4 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSC00613.JPG
    Filename
    DSC00613.JPG
    File size
    4.2 MiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by FFXIhealer on 2019-06-07, 15:55. Edited 1 time in total.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 38 of 146, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's mine.

Motherboard is out of a Dell Precision 620 MT workstation.

Intel i840 chipset
2x P3 "Xeon" 1Ghz 256kb procs
2x riser cards with 4 sticks RDRAM each (8x256MB)
WinFast A380 Ultra 256MB
Other crap

I still have the case but it got pretty beat up during shipping, sacrificing itself so that the hardware may live.

fsSmwvY.jpg

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 39 of 146, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My Dell is a mismatched assembly of obsolete parts trying to compete in the modern era. It's like a modded 1970s car bound for a demolition derby.

This isn't a retro PC, it was built to be used for everyday real life computing. The case is from a Dell Dimension 4300. Like so many others it came from a thrift store - back when they sold computers to customers instead of "recyclers" those places always had Dells. It's very scratched and beaten up and a chore to open and close. I stripped out the parts but the case fits other Dell boards.

The motherboard is a Dell Optiplex GX270 SFF. Yes small form factor, but I put the board in the 4300 mid-tower case instead. The GX270 has a WinXP Professional license in the BIOS, it just needed an appropriate install disc to recognize it.

The PSU is an AcBel 550W intended for some Sun workstation which were liquidated on the internet a few years ago. It comes with 24pin+8pin connectors which don't fit the motherboard. 20pin and 4pin extension cables were needed to make it fit.

The CPU is a Prescott 3.0GHz hyperthreaded. Definitely wouldn't want that in a small form factor case. It works well with H.264 video though. It's using the low profile heatsink and blower fan from a Prescott equipped SFF GX280 (what an abomination that was). It's not the proper setup for a mid-tower, but it works.

RAM is 4x 512MB DDR400 CL2 Kingston Hyper-X from my old Athlon. These aren't able to be properly utilized by the Dell because it will only use SPD settings, and the SPD on those modules is conservative. One of them is even programmed as DDR333, so the system is clocking all the RAM at DDR333 because of it. It's a waste, but the only other RAM I have is ECC and the Dell BIOS refuses to boot with those, even though they're unbuffered. Non-Dells have no problem with them, but Dell is special.

DVD drive is some Memorex thing from another thrift store. It works well.

Hard drive is a refurbished 1TB Seagate 7200.10 (warranty replacement). It uses the only SATA port.

The video card is a Visiontek Radeon HD2600XT AGP. I got it cheaper than usual on eBay. I'm impressed by the quality of it, it has a copper heatsink on both sides of the card and Sanyo capacitors.
The performance might be overkill for a P4, but this card lets it run newer shader heavy games decently, even though I'm not sure I'll really utilize it. It also has H.264 acceleration in MPC-BE, which I prefer over decoding 1080p in software. The Preshot is capable of that, but lives up to it's name in the process. Video playback is something I want this computer to be good at, and was the overriding reason for the CPU and video card choices.

I initially wanted this build to be based on an MSI 875P Neo, but the performance of that board turned out to suck. The Dell GX270 spanked it and was completely stable, while the MSI was touchy. I found a setting in the MSI BIOS that allowed it to match the GX270's performance, but the MSI became terribly unstable in that mode so it wasn't really usable. Dells of the early 2000s get a bad rap. They may be boring and have the limitations of non-enthusiast hardware but the electronics are solid and they work.

The cases are awful though. I'm sure somebody at Dell must have been really proud of coming up with these clamshell things but every one I've encountered has been practically unusable. The best P4-era Dell case I've found was from a cheaper model that had a standard MicroATX design with an easily removable side panel. Apparently you had to pay extra to be blessed with the clamshell disaster?
After I took the pictures here, I couldn't get the thing back closed. I stopped caring and just jammed it shut. There's obviously something wrong because the front corner is split open now. This comes after a previous episode where I've already locked one of the latches permanently open so I wouldn't have to pry it open with extreme force.

The system looks like hell but it runs great, my only complaint is that for some reason my standby option has been disabled in WinXP. I have no idea why that happened - it used to work. I noticed that immediately after booting the standby option is available, but once it finishes loading everything the option gets grayed out. I tried disabling services and didn't find a cause. Nonfunctional standby is something that has always irked me, and one nice thing about brand name systems like Dells is that this feature always works. But not now.

Attachments

• IMG_4732_500x1083.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_4732_500x1083.jpg
    File size
    104.64 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Dimension 4300 clamshell in thrift store scratch and dent and bend and body slam condition.
    File license
  • IMG_4733_1500x1125.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_4733_1500x1125.jpg
    File size
    388.59 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Optiplex GX270 small form factor motherboard with a GX280 SFF heatsink/fan
    File license
  • IMG_4734_crop_1500x1058.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_4734_crop_1500x1058.jpg
    File size
    341.82 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Visiontek Radeon HD2600XT AGP. Great card.
    File license
  • IMG_4736_crop_1500x1097.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_4736_crop_1500x1097.jpg
    File size
    335.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_4737_crop_800x834.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_4737_crop_800x834.jpg
    File size
    108.82 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Case didn't want to close after taking these pictures. Got it closed and now the corner is like this. I consider it par for the course with this thing.
    File license