VOGONS

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I got a mobo that supports a 1.2ghz via c3!

The motherboard is a asus cuv4x rev 1.03

image.jpeg

The sound card is a via tremor sound card. I also have an isa card for dos apps.

image.jpeg

Via nic. I think it's just a cat3 10mb card. Buts I'm ok with that. I only use Vogons and hwbot online.

image.jpeg

And of course a via Sata card!

image.jpeg
Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-06-06, 22:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 47, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

The cpu will be a via c3 1.2ghz l. I hoping I can hit 1.4 or 1.5ghz with it without going over 1.65v.

image.jpeg

I picked up a savage 2000 for 50 buck online. I know I over payed. But I could not find one locally 😒 should be better then my savage 4 pro. Until I find a delta chrome that is.

image.jpeg

The psu will be a seasonic SS-650HT. Picked one up for 15$. 650w is overkill, but it was only 15$ and has a 30amp 5v rail. Edit: the seller was out of stock, got a 600w one for 10$

image.jpeg

The hdd. I think it's like a 150gb raptor or something.

image.jpeg
Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-06-23, 04:12. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 2 of 47, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

DONE!!!!!!!!!

Well not quite. I still need to re wire the front panel. 😒
That's about half way done.

image.jpeg

Whoops got a big carried away with cable management

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-06-23, 04:13. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 4 of 47, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

This is for benchmarks 😈

sock non optimized super pi 1m runs.
untitled.png
untitledd.png

non optimized 3dmark 2000 run.
I had a slot A setup with a 650mhz tbird and the exact same ram and gpu do 1086 with the same settings witch was optimized for the run. I'm sure I could get the same if not a better score with some work.
[img]http://s32.postimg.org/qxixz8z7p/untitled.png[/

Sorry for not us ring a screenshot.
I just installed 98 on the system and the savage 2000.
This is a highly in optimized run. I only install the chipset drivers, gpu drivers from the cd and dx8.1 and 3dmark. I'm sure I could get it over 3k maybe even close to 4K marks

image.jpeg
Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-06-15, 04:36. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 5 of 47, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:

Here what the system as of now.

You used a Pentium 1 heatsink?
These were so very common in mostly OEM systems, but I find the thickness of the bottom of the heatsink (the part were all those spikes attached to, dunno how to correctly name it in English) kinda lacking.

I've always wondered what use I could give those.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 47, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Tetrium wrote:
You used a Pentium 1 heatsink? These were so very common in mostly OEM systems, but I find the thickness of the bottom of the he […]
Show full quote
Jade Falcon wrote:

Here what the system as of now.

You used a Pentium 1 heatsink?
These were so very common in mostly OEM systems, but I find the thickness of the bottom of the heatsink (the part were all those spikes attached to, dunno how to correctly name it in English) kinda lacking.

I've always wondered what use I could give those.

Well no, I pulled that off a 6 or 700mhz something c3. Should do ok with all the case fans I have.
That's 2 120mm 2 60mm 2 80mm and 1 92mm.
I also got a seasonic psu with a 120mm fan in it I'll put into the system. It ever has a 30amp 5v rail!

I might use something different, but I like the idea of keeping it passive.

EDIT:
Well this sucks. I can't up the multi past 8. But if I set it to auto it will go to 9.
I can't seem to find away to change the multi in the bios. But I can change the fsb from 66mhz all the way up to 166mhz.

Maybe a bios update will fix that???

I may lower the mutli via the motherboards dip witches and set the fsb to 160-166. That should get me some good top end performance. 160x7.5 should be good. I could dump the fsb down to 66mhz and disable l2 for dos.

As for the heat sink. It bealy gets warm at 1.65v. So if I can keep the voltage at 1.45v it should do grate. But I have room to oc if need be.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-06-07, 13:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 47, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Looking at the bios updates that are available, it looks like an update will add new microcode, C0 piii supports and fix problems with the jumper free cpu settings. So yeah I'll be doing a bios update.

Reply 8 of 47, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never really liked via's stuff just felt cheap to me (and I know that's not 100% fair)
I am enjoying this project though 😀

Reply 9 of 47, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
chinny22 wrote:

Never really liked via's stuff just felt cheap to me (and I know that's not 100% fair)
I am enjoying this project though 😀

Yeah a lot of stuff with via chipsets are uber cheap, I only payed like 4$ for the sata card and it was new in the box. Even still most VIA stuff is outdated by the time they hit the market.

But given the number of companies that use VIA chipsets any bugs are worked out relatively fast.
The driver support for VIA is grate too. That sata card works out of the box in windows 95.

But not everything with a VIA chipset is so cheap.
Take a look at these via chipset sounds cards.

news114896.jpg
news114896_002.jpg

Reply 11 of 47, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

looking forword to seeing some benchmarks on that it should run 3dmark 2000 and 2001se witch are free on 3dmarks website

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 13 of 47, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Will do! it's smoking my older 650mhz Tbird with web browsing so far, but its PI times are slow. I having some trouble with the ls120 drive in 2k, but it works, but does not see it as a floppy drive 😒

Reply 16 of 47, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Yeah the pi times are bad. The cpu sucks with that kind of benchmark.
It definitely better with office related stuff.

I did have the system optimized for the becnh, I'm sure I could have goten it in the 6 minutes range.

Reply 17 of 47, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Jade Falcon wrote:

Yeah the pi times are bad. The cpu sucks with that kind of benchmark.
It definitely better with office related stuff.

I did not have the system optimized for the becnh, I'm sure I could have goten it in the 6 minutes range.

Reply 18 of 47, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you find a BIOS version that correctly supports the C3's? My CUV4X detects them as "Pentium II". Not tried a "nehemiah" in that board yet but the 866MHz Ezra-T was this way.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 19 of 47, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
BSA Starfire wrote:

Did you find a BIOS version that correctly supports the C3's? My CUV4X detects them as "Pentium II". Not tried a "nehemiah" in that board yet but the 866MHz Ezra-T was this way.

It's miss id'd in the bios, buts that's all, the cpu works 100% l1 and and l2 both are working and it performs within speck. I'm usring the original bios, there is a bios update the adds microcode and support for newer cpu's that I'll try.