VOGONS

Reply 20 of 47, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I have not forgotten this build. I have the system almost done.
Just need to swap the psu and install the OS's

I decided on 98se and 2k. I was going to use 95, but 98se would be better for the system. I might install 98lite, but I don't know. I'll installed CDU 7.1 with 98 too

Reply 21 of 47, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I have win98 installed, I have the savage 2000 in the system as well.
The only thing lest is the new psu!

I also ran 3dmark 2000 on the system and posted the score.
If you have a bench mark you want me to run ask now.

Reply 22 of 47, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:
EDIT: Well this sucks. I can't up the multi past 8. But if I set it to auto it will go to 9. I can't seem to find away to change […]
Show full quote

EDIT:
Well this sucks. I can't up the multi past 8. But if I set it to auto it will go to 9.
I can't seem to find away to change the multi in the bios. But I can change the fsb from 66mhz all the way up to 166mhz.

Maybe a bios update will fix that???

I may lower the mutli via the motherboards dip witches and set the fsb to 160-166. That should get me some good top end performance. 160x7.5 should be good. I could dump the fsb down to 66mhz and disable l2 for dos.

As for the heat sink. It bealy gets warm at 1.65v. So if I can keep the voltage at 1.45v it should do grate. But I have room to oc if need be.

Interesting system you build there. Are you aware that SetMul and some other programs can change the C3 multiplier? The VIA C3 multiplier configuration is completely different from the intel CPU one. Both Motherboard BIOS and Jumpers are normally triggering the intel multiplier select pins, but these pins are ironically disabled on intel retail CPUs.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 23 of 47, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I have not tried any apps, for what I want to do setmul will not work.
I want to set the FSB to 160mhz and keep the cpu at 1200mhz.
I upgraded the bios is the newest non beta bios last night and now the bios says the multi is in safe mode. And I still can't change it.

That aside I never seen a nehemiah with a changed multi. Not a single sub on HWbot has a Nehemiah with a different multi and I can change the muti of Ezra c3's in the system.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-06-16, 13:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 24 of 47, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So you keep wondering about the multiplier settings in the wrong way, while saying SetMul will not work? Suit yourself I suppose...

Reply 25 of 47, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
gerwin wrote:

So you keep wondering about the multiplier settings in the wrong way, while saying SetMul will not work? Suit yourself I suppose...

SetMul will not work if the system fails to post. And the cpu is the week link, I have tested the mobo, ram and all the addin cards and they each can handle a system with the FSB at 160mhz, but the cpu craps out at about 150mhz FSB and upping the voltage does not help.

Reply 26 of 47, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did the BETA BIOS correctly ID the "Nehemiah"?
If so, could you send me a link if you have the time?
Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by BSA Starfire on 2016-06-16, 14:05. Edited 1 time in total.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 27 of 47, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

SetMul will not work if the system fails to post. And the cpu is the week link, I have tested the mobo, ram and all the addin cards and they each can handle a system with the FSB at 160mhz, but the cpu craps out at about 150mhz FSB and upping the voltage does not help.

Oh the overclock, I get it. In that case all you can do is the pencil trick to change the bridges on the CPU, that is AFAIK the only way to change the bootup multiplier. These bridges are at the bottom of the Nehemiah CPU. They are easy to connect, but nearly impossible to cut. I have notes on these bridges at home.

But another approach is to bootup at a lower FSB setting, lower the multiplier with software, and after that: up the FSB with software. But I don't know if SoftFSB or similar supports your Motherboard.

Reply 28 of 47, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
gerwin wrote:

Oh the overclock, I get it. In that case all you can do is the pencil trick to change the bridges on the CPU, that is AFAIK the only way to change the bootup multiplier. These bridges are at the bottom of the Nehemiah CPU. They are easy to connect, but nearly impossible to cut. I have notes on these bridges at home.

But another approach is to bootup at a lower FSB setting, lower the multiplier with software, and after that: up the FSB with software. But I don't know if SoftFSB or similar supports your Motherboard.

I was thinking about using setfsb or something, I knew there was a pencil trick, but don't know what to pencil.

BSA Starfire wrote:
Did the BETA BIOS correctly ID the "Nehemiah"? If so, could you send me a link if you have the time? Thanks, Chris […]
Show full quote

Did the BETA BIOS correctly ID the "Nehemiah"?
If so, could you send me a link if you have the time?
Thanks,
Chris

I did not try the beta bios, the system works fine with the newest non beta bios aside from being miss ID'd in the bios. I'm not going to try them myself as I don't want to brick the board, if I had a flashing tool or second bios chip I'd give it a go.
Bios can be found here
http://www.asus.com/supportonly/CUV4X/HelpDesk_Download/

Reply 29 of 47, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

I knew there was a pencil trick, but don't know what to pencil.

I looked at my notes, there is a problem: The 1200MHz Nehemiah has a stock multi of 9.0x. To get any other bootup multiplier you need to cut bridges, not pencil them. But it is very hard to cut these bridges without breaking the CPU.

Bridge patterns Ezra-T / Nehemiah (experimental):

I xx Ix xIIxIII    = 10.0x 
I xx II IIIxIII = 9.0x
I xx Ix IxxxxII = 7.5x
I xx II xIIxIII = 4.0x
I xx Ix IIIxIII = 3.0x?
^^ ^

Reply 31 of 47, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The trace where there is an 'I' is bridged, 'x' is cut. The columns with the little indicators at the bottom are significant for the multiplier, at least, I guess they are.

Reply 32 of 47, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Thanks!

Anyway I'm just about done with the system. I posted a new photo of the system. All that's is left is to do some more benchmarking, install software and finish rewiring the front panel.

Reply 33 of 47, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Been playing around with the system.
As far as gaming goes it's hit or miss.
Oddly simpler games like uplink like to run slow and freeze up every now and then for a second or two.
But fps do grate. I was able to play dark forces 2 maxed out at 1280x1024@8bit in software mode fine. Gets about 25-35fps. In 3D maxed out its 60fps all day long!
I'll bench the system with quake 3 latter.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-06-27, 02:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 36 of 47, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Trank wrote:

Very nice. Love the idea of this system. And cool to see you got 60fps in JK with a Savage 2000.

I'm not 100% sure it's 60, just looks that way. Not sure what tool to use off the top of my head.
Anyway it's a nice cards, it's abit slower then a 256.

mrau wrote:

can you bench with sandra?

Will do.

Reply 37 of 47, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Well this is intersecting. ut99 is hardly playable on the system.
it will not work with that s3 api or opengl, and DX will work but is uber slow. I think is the video card and or its drivers.
If I set the rez to 800x600 and disable dynamic lighting it's playable (about 20-30fps, but anything over 800x600 and the games FSP goes under 10fps.

Reply 38 of 47, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

Well this is intersecting. ut99 is hardly playable on the system.
it will not work with that s3 api or opengl, and DX will work but is uber slow. I think is the video card and or its drivers.
If I set the rez to 800x600 and disable dynamic lighting it's playable (about 20-30fps, but anything over 800x600 and the games FSP goes under 10fps.

What happens if you through a Geforce 2 or 3 or something in there? Might at least Help you figure it how much of an issue the GPU is vs the CPU.

Reply 39 of 47, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For the damn S3 you really need to try a Number of Drivers.. i had one back in the Day where they was new.
Your best bet is if you have the OEM Drivers of your Vendor.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board