VOGONS

New Project - Early 1991 i486 Build

Topic actions

First post, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Vogoners!

After completing my two other builds - a Q4 1999 build called Andariel and a Q4 2003 build called Duriel - I've been gathering parts for my next project. This one will be a ISA-only i486 build targeting the early 1991 period.

I'm not sure on a name yet, but as with my other PCs it'll be named after a character from the Diablo series. I'm thinking of Mephisto, the Lord of Hatred, who is the eldest of the Prime Evils, but I'll have to think about that one a bit more I reckon! 😊

Here are the parts I've collected so far:

- FIC 486SC-P Motherboard - This was a tip-off from a fellow Vogons member in the eBay thread. Picking this one up kicked off this build. It came with nothing on it bar the processor (no cache, no RAM), and unfortunately it has a dead Dallas RTC soldered to the board which I need to swap out. But otherwise it's a pretty nice board, and in great condition. Tracking down information about jumper config took a lot of intense searching, but I finally found a text file with all the info I need.

- Intel 486DX-33 - Released in May of 1990. It came with the motherboard, and should be a good match for older adventure games, Wing Commander 1 and 2, etc. There's the option of going with a DX2 later on if I feel like it, but that's unlikely!

- 8x1MB 70ns SIMMs + 128KB of 12ns cache (UM61256AK-12) - According to most of the research I've done, 8MB of RAM and 128KB of cache seems around about correct for this period. I have an empty bank left to double the cache if I need to.

- Diamond SpeedStar VGA 1MB with Tseng Labs ET4000/AX Chipset - After lots of waiting, failed bids and wading through auction listings (plenty of VLB stuff, but ISA cards were slim pickings!), I finally managed to get a Tseng card for my build. This was apparently released in late 1990, so it should fit right in!

- Sound - Unfortunately my 1991-era sound card chops aren't up to scratch! The oldest (and my most prized) card I have will be going into this build - an AWE32 CT3900 with 8MB of RAM. Also, I'll be putting in a Terratec TT1816-N card for SoftMPU only. But I'll still be on the lookout for a card that matches this era, such as a SoundBlaster 1.0 or 1.5 (or anything starting with CT13** really).

- Multi-IO Card (IDE, Floppy, COM/LPT) with Goldstar Prime 2 Chipset - Took a punt on this one, it was listed as defect but only due to the computer it was in not turning on. I'm yet to receive this in the post, so hopefully it's fully functional!

- Highscreen AT Case - I've had this case for a few years now. It contained a Socket 7 K6-2 450 build which I'm parting out. The front is a bit yellowed but it's still a decent looking case.

- Other parts - 200W FSP ATX power supply with ATX to AT cable adapter, Mitsumi 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives (not sure if the 5.25" one works actually...), Toshiba optical drive, and an IBM DeskStar 15GB HDD.

Any suggestions/comments on my parts list would be much appreciated!

Anyways, a few parts arrived this week so I've been able to finally start testing these components. So far everything works perfectly, except the CMOS not saving due to the dead RTC! I installed the RAM and cache chips, reconfigured the jumpers to suit, and it started up first go which I was very relieved to see. Now to wait for the Multi-IO card to arrive.

Finally, here are some pics...

RAM and cache chips have arrived:
coOmFVO.jpg

8MB of RAM installed:
RMsZt7w.jpg

128KB of Cache installed:
dyT58sC.jpg

The Diamond SpeedStar slotted in:
MCMfKY9.jpg

IT LIVES!
U1gEyD1.jpg

My temporary workstation:
IAzt7SY.jpg

The Highscreen case it's going in, plus all the drives:
xKrBPus.jpg

And the AWE32 and Terratec sound cards (unfortunately both don't fit the era):
NLEzE9r.jpg

Reply 1 of 33, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another 486DX-33, very nice 😀

Pure ISA should be quite decent, at 25 or 33 MHz VLB doesn't help that much.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 33, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

Super cool! Not sure about 8 meg of RAM in '91 though, I was still dreaming of 8 in '93, and getting by with 4.

Hehe, isn't this what retro builds are all about? Building the dream machines we never could afford back then?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 33, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That board may be a tad newer then 1991 going by the BIOS date 😜. Most early 486 boards still had discrete TTL logic as opposed to chipsets. ISA was SLOW, particularly for video. VLB solved a big bottleneck until PCI came in.

Reply 5 of 33, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Another 486DX-33, very nice 😀

Pure ISA should be quite decent, at 25 or 33 MHz VLB doesn't help that much.

Cheers Phil, yeah this project has been really interesting to me so far. The earliest PC I ever gamed on in the past was our family's 486DX2, and I never actually opened up and worked on computers until the Pentium era, so going a step backwards has opened my eyes to things like ISA graphics, cache chips and all that stuff.

Seeing your build the other day was a bit of a kick in the arse to get back into this one and find the remaining parts that I needed!

vetz wrote:
badmojo wrote:

Super cool! Not sure about 8 meg of RAM in '91 though, I was still dreaming of 8 in '93, and getting by with 4.

Hehe, isn't this what retro builds are all about? Building the dream machines we never could afford back then?

Haha yeah that's it! Some of the later-than-1991 games I'm planning on running require 4MB and/or recommend 8MB (e.g. Ultima 7, Wing Commander Privateer, Jagged Alliance), so I thought I should probably go for 8MB! 😈

NJRoadfan wrote:

That board may be a tad newer then 1991 going by the BIOS date 😜. Most early 486 boards still had discrete TTL logic as opposed to chipsets. ISA was SLOW, particularly for video. VLB solved a big bottleneck until PCI came in.

The BIOS is from 1990 though... don't you mean older than 1991? 🤣 I figure that if something comes out in the second half of 1990, it's commonplace by the first half of 1991, so I'm sort of working towards that logic. This board is at least pre-1993 given the lack of VLB though. I'm not aiming to be 100% true to "Q1 1991", but there or there abouts.

Reply 6 of 33, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its very commonplace for board makers to use older BIOS cores. Plenty of folks were using the AMI 06/06/92 BIOS core well into 1994 for example. One of my 486 EISA/VLBus boards had a Phoenix BIOS core dated 1988! The board came out in 1993.

Reply 9 of 33, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote:

CD-ROM in 91?!

Yup, they have been around since the mid-80s, although not common in regular consumer PCs until around 1994 I guess:
https://books.google.nl/books?id=pMnJ2MkrjNgC … %201991&f=false

The Multimedia PC specification from 1990 says you require a CD-ROM drive: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/106055

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 10 of 33, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

8MB was fair game in 1991. It would have been expensive, but some people had it. For a 1991 sound card an SB Pro or original PAS would be what you want (Ultrasound and Adlib Gold are also fair game). The CD-ROM drive should be 1X SCSI, and it should take caddies...not sure if 2X was available yet.

Last edited by Anonymous Coward on 2016-06-18, 03:10. Edited 1 time in total.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 11 of 33, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got this bad boy in the mail today! Hopefully I'll find some time over the weekend to test build this system and see how it goes before replacing the RTC.

The person selling this Goldstar Prime 2 card said the computer it was in didn't turn on anymore, so it was being sold as defective. I'm pretty confident this card is okay though - it wouldn't have been the source of a whole computer not even turning on anymore surely, and it's pretty clean and in good condition. And unlike my motherboard, it was an easy task to find all the documentation I need.

6cxTrjm.jpg

Reply 12 of 33, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scali wrote:

The Multimedia PC specification from 1990 says you require a CD-ROM drive: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/106055

True, although the MPC-Level 1 Specification on that website is the revised one. The original version mentioned an 80286 based machine (10-16Mhz). 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 13 of 33, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GoldStar Prime 2 is my go-to ISA IO controller. I have a few of them, they always work!

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 14 of 33, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote:
Scali wrote:

True, although the MPC-Level 1 Specification on that website is the revised one. The original version mentioned an 80286 based machine (10-16Mhz). 😀

Nonetheless, MPC1 required a single speed CD-ROM (and an 8 bit sound card). Also, have you got a source for that. 286 CPUs were already superseded for all market segments when MPC was standardized IIRC.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 15 of 33, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:
Jo22 wrote:
Scali wrote:

Nonetheless, MPC1 required a single speed CD-ROM (and an 8 bit sound card). Also, have you got a source for that. 286 CPUs were already superseded for all market segments when MPC was standardized IIRC.

Sorry, I didn't mean to criticize Scali. He was right, afterall. 😀

Besides, we had got a Mitsumi LU005 single-speed drive in our PC back in the day.
And I was a 286 owner, so I just HAD to mention this one was part of the original MPC-Level 1 spec.

The reason MS changed this to 386SX, was *probably* because multi media stuff was quite stressing for a PC
(required *lots* of memory) and the 286 CPU didn't feature a "swap to disk" feature in hardware
(virtual memory was possible, though. OS/2 1.x is a good example here).
Besides, they wanted to get rid of 16Bit Protected-Mode (was removed later on in WFW 3.11) and push their new VXD stuff (more performace, etc.).

It was not easy to find references tó this topic, though.
This is what I've found:

How to buy a multimedia PC
An MPC system must meet some minimum specifications. Nothing less than an IBM PC or compatible, 386SX-based machine with at least two megabytes of RAM will do. (An earlier MPC standard specified at least a 10MHz-286 machine.)
http://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue13 … y_a_multime.php

A Brief History of Computing -Complete Timeline
The MPC level 1 specification originally required a 80286/12 MHz PC, but this was later increased to a 80386SX/16 MHz computer as an 80286 was realised to be inadequate.
http://www.adrc.com/ckr/computer_history.html

Also, other things I can't proof:
- Video for Windows runtime v. 1.00 did run on a 286
- MPC Level-1 originally mentioned "Windows 3.0 with multimedia extensions 1.0" instead of Win 3.1

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 16 of 33, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Brilliant stuff! I love seeing period correct machines built and this is from a rather neglected moment in time. Nice case, it looks really solidly built.

Look forward to seeing it all up and running.
Best,
Chris

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 17 of 33, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Been trying to get my hands on some more period-correct components lately. Tonight I managed to win an eBay auction for a SoundBlaster 2.0 CT1350B. It has a Yamaha FM chip but no CMS chips on it. Given that the SB2.0 was released in late 1991 then that should fit right in!

No such luck with slower CD-ROM drives though - there just isn't anything on eBay under 32x. I'll keep scouring, but it isn't a huge priority for me since you can just slow it down in software. Maybe I'll just remove the optical drive altogether?

Also on the lookout for a smaller HDD too - I don't want to go the CF card route, since I like the sounds that a proper HDD makes. Any ideas as to what brand and size I should be on the lookout for? I was thinking a WD Caviar in something like 640MB or 850MB?

And I still haven't gotten around to desoldering that Dallas chip yet. I'm not much of a solderer so I'm not sure how easy it'd be to screw up my mobo.

Reply 18 of 33, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Period correct HDD size would be around 40 to 130MB 😉

A friend of mine, actually his father, had 486DX-33 with 16MB of memory in 1991 😲

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 19 of 33, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote:

Period correct HDD size would be around 40 to 130MB 😉

Hmmm... yeah after having a quick squizz at some InfoWorld issues on Google Books, seems like 120MB is high-end with 400MB on some ultra-expensive IBM configs (as in $17k+ in 1991 dollars configs 😲 ).

A friend of mine, actually his father, had 486DX-33 with 16MB of memory in 1991 😲

That's nuts! I thought I was taking the piss with 8MB in this one, but 16MB of memory in 1991? That must have cost a bomb.