VOGONS

First post, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

I've not been building anything recently due to work and home life, however I got the retro urge recently and managed to come across a PSU to fit in a project I've been waiting to build for sometime.

CPU Intel Pentium III 1400-S Tualatin
Motherboard Fujitsu 815 Motherboard
RAM 256mb PC133 Ram
Primary Graphics Card 16mb 3DFX Voodoo 3 2000 PCI
Sound Card Onboard AC97
NIC Onboard Intel Pro100
Storage Samsung 160Gb 7200rpm Spinpoint PATA Drive
Optical Samsung DVD-RW
PSU HP Branded 250w
OS Windows ME / Windows 2000 SP4

The build is based on a very small Antec Case, the CPU is a little overpowered for the GPU but with no AGP available I had a very small choice of Graphics cards.

The motherboard was came from a forum back in 2005, I bought for a small home server, it originally came with a Celeron 1.1Ghz Processor which ran passively. It ran Windows 2003 on 512mb for a couple of years and the board went into a box. Windows ME & 2000 fly - very quick down to a very fast processor and Hard drive. The motherboard memory limit is 512mb of Ram, but just seems a waste on this box.

I had to fit a fan to the Voodoo as it ran very hot - untouchable.

Antec-retro-outside_zpsuopeyrz1.jpg

Antec-retro-hd_zps0kjmxwny.jpg

Antec-retro-inside_zpsjlj4pf3b.jpg

Antec-retro-inside2_zpsvtqxn5gg.jpg

Antec-retro-p3_zpsp3qiaang.jpg

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 2 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very nice!

I like the mix of newer case with older hardware. 😀

Good job on the cooling mod for the V3.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 10, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like Micro ATX builds 😀

I see you've also mounted a bigger heatsink on the voltage regulator, which is a very good idea. That sucker runs hot.

As you've already done the proper cooling mods, why don't you overclock the Voodoo? That's the SGRAM version, which can easily hit Voodoo 3 3000 clock levels. Mine runs rock solid at 175MHz, which is between a 3000 and 3500 performance-wise.

Only thing that's missing is a proper sound card 😉

Reply 4 of 10, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice build and I like seeing modern cases time to time 😉
As for the sound card just stick to 9x era as that board likely does not have sb link and you did good with adding a fan for the V3 2K. Be sure add some extra cooling for the vrm on the 3dfx card as that bugger gets HOT.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 5 of 10, by MechaniKey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How did you fix the fan to the heatsink on the Voodoo3? I have a few FX 5200 cards (yes, I know... but I got them for free) and they run very hot because they're passively-cooled.

Reply 6 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the fan is approximately correct in size for the heat sink, you use screws which fit between and grab on the aluminum fins. If it's larger, wrapping with zip ties works well.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 10, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
MechaniKey wrote:

How did you fix the fan to the heatsink on the Voodoo3? I have a few FX 5200 cards (yes, I know... but I got them for free) and they run very hot because they're passively-cooled.

If you look closely you can see a screw on the back of the fan.

Reply 8 of 10, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A retro system in such small case, very interesting. I imagine there weren't many mATX boards back then.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 9 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

A retro system in such small case, very interesting. I imagine there weren't many mATX boards back then.

Well, you're kinda right about that 😁
There were actually µATX boards made almost right after ATX started to appear on the market, but most of these boards seemed to be OEM boards (especially PB and Compaq etc seem to have made lots of use of µATX boards). But obviously there weren't that many around because ATX only existed for a very short time back then and on top of that, many of those boards were also made in AT standard, so they were kinda spread out over 3 different standards for a short while.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 10, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great system! I would get a cool soundcard to replace the AssCrap 97 codec (pardon my french)
Clean, black, fast, tualatin and 3dfx!

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

I can't wait to post my next mATX system!
It will have "special" parts 😁