Hello, World! :D - Robert B's PC builds - oogle away freely :)

Showcase your Retro PC / Build logs.

Re: Hello, World! :D - Robert B's PC builds - oogle away freely :)

Postby bjwil1991 » 2019-2-03 @ 21:54

Ah, RAMBUS. The one thing I don't like is the RAMBUS memory is like SCSI drives: requires termination or dummy memory in 2 slots in order for it to boot, otherwise, it won't POST or beeps in a loop. I have an Intel D850GB motherboard that uses RAMBUS memory, and it's pretty cool to see that. Another thing that's mind blowing is the Nintendo 64 uses RAMBUS memory as well. Good looking board as well.
C64, WheelWriter 10 Series II QuietWriter 8, Pack-Mate 28 Plus, K6-2/300, Pavilion N3350, iMac G3 & G4, Socket 462, 2x Inspiron 600m, Athlon 64, Dimension 4550 & E510, ThinkPad R40, Presario C700, ASUS X54C, Raspberry Pi B+, 2B-3B+, Custom FX-6300
bjwil1991
l33t

Postby Intel486dx33 » 2019-2-03 @ 22:02

Nice 486 CPU heatsinks and Fans.
So you where NOT able to over clock these AMD 5x86 CPU’s to 166mhz or 200mhz ?
Intel486dx33
Oldbie

Postby Robert B » 2019-2-04 @ 05:27

I never tried to OC my AMD 5x86 133MHz back in the day and I didnt do it now either. I have many faster options now. :)
Robert B

Postby amadeus777999 » 2019-2-04 @ 18:12

bjwil1991 wrote:Ah, RAMBUS. The one thing I don't like is the RAMBUS memory is like SCSI drives: requires termination or dummy memory in 2 slots in order for it to boot, otherwise, it won't POST or beeps in a loop. I have an Intel D850GB motherboard that uses RAMBUS memory, and it's pretty cool to see that. Another thing that's mind blowing is the Nintendo 64 uses RAMBUS memory as well. Good looking board as well.

I only have one board, a P4 one, with Rambus and in a memory benchmark it gives approximately 2 times the performance of SDRam. I think it is around 1GB- vs 2 GB/s.
amadeus777999
Oldbie

Postby Robert B » 2019-2-09 @ 21:15

Lazerhawk - Dream Machine

Gigabyte GA-8TM REV:1.0 aka THE FLOP

I bought this motherboard before I got the ECS P4ITA at a time when I really wanted to have a RAMBUS S423 setup.

I found the Gigabyte GA-8TM on a local add site and I paid under 3 EUR for it. It was listed as not working and I thought that for such a low sum of money what could possibly go wrong? Little did I know that this was going to be a money pit...it all starts with an introduction fee and then better fasten your seatbelts!

ALL ABOARD!

I contacted the seller and soon I held in my hands the object of my desire.

Initial impressions were good. The motherboard had some signs of damage but all in all it looked ok.

I mounted an intel P4 1.7GHz SL57W CPU, I straightened some bent pins on the WINBOND W83627HF-AW chip, then I powered up the motherboard.

Image Image Image

NOTHING! No POST. No beeps. DEAD. The only time when the motherboard showed signs of life was when there were no RAM sticks installed and the PC SPEAKER gave the NO RAM ERROR BEEP CODE.

I conducted a close inspection and I found more problems. Broken plastic bits from the parallel port. Bent fins on the northbridge heatsink. CPU socket with signs of damage. USB port with bent pins.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Surprisingly there were NO SMD componets missing from the PCB. This made me to take the decision to do whatever it was in my power to save this motherboard. (Bad choice here)

I decided to remove the BIOS chip and install a PLCC32 socket for easy BIOS update. I also bought new USB ports for the motherboard.

Removing the BIOS chip and installing the PLCC32 socket was a breeze.

Image Image Image Image Image

The removal of the USB ports was another matter. I dont have a hot air station so I had to use brute force in a gentle way and I removed the damaged ports bit by bit. At that moment it became clear that my puny 40W soldering iron wasnt enough so I had to use something stronger. The multilayer PCBs suck up the heat faster as they have a bigger surface and when a smaller soldering iron is used, the solder doesnt remain fluid for the required amount of time and also the solder joints arent good.

I brought the THE BIG GUNS in the shape of an old 100W soldering gun with a modified tip. I simply didnt have anything else available. :D

I have to mention that up until that moment I didnt do anything close to the scale of the operation I was to undertake and my experience was limited.

Using the 100W beast I got decent results and in the end I became an expert in using this unyielding weapon. (Once a barbarian always a barbarian). Later on, I used this soldering gun on many occasions with zero problems. No burn marks on the PCB, zero damaged traces, zero capacitor casualties . Replacing a capacitor is a piece of cake with this tool.

I do not recommed that you do the same, though. Your mileage might vary.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

After a lot of work I was ready for another test. I updated the BIOS chip using a MiniPRO TL866A programmer and I powered up the motherboard. The result was A BIG FAT ZERO!

STILL NO CHANGE!

Days have passed but my mind was still searching for a solution.

I conducted another inspection of the motherboard.

This time I saw that a capacitor near the memory slots was MIA.

I searched on the internet for pictures that would reveal the specs of the missing capacitor but I found nothing. Fuzzy pictures with a low resolution. I wanted to at least find the colour of the missing capacitor. Wasted hours...

In the end I found this picture from Computex Taipei 2001.

https://www.ixbt.com/news/hard/index.shtml?02/07/11

I stared at the picture for many minutes. The missing capacitor was dark green. There were many dark green capacitors on the board but they had different sizes so I was back to square one.

In the end I came up with the following solution: SHADDOW ANALYSIS.

I took pictures with my motherboard im such a way that it would emulate the Computex Taipei 2001 picture. This way I was able to find the approximate size of the missing capacitor. As now I had information about the colour and the size of the missing capacitor I could determine the specs using a neighbouring capacitor.

The specs of the missing capacitor were 1200uf 6.3V. I couldnt find one locally so I used a 1500uf 6.3V capacitor.

Image Image Image

I tested again the motherboard. STILL NO CHANGE!!!

I tossed the board in a box ready to give up.

Weeks have passed. Thinking that maybe my 1.7GHz P4 was dead, I bought another Pentium 4 1.5GHz SL4SH CPU and I tried again.

STILL NO CHANGE! NO POST. NO BEEP. NOTHING!

I bought a new memory kit: 1GB RIMM 4x256MB PC600.

STILL NO CHANGE!

While I passed my hand over the motherboard I felt that a few GSC capacitors, were hotter than the rest, so I replaced 8 GSC 330uf 25V capacitors with SAMWHA 330uf 50V.

Image Image Image

NEW TEST. STILL NO CHANGE!

I replaced the 1200uf 6.3V capacitor with a 1500uf 6.3V. I replaced other capacitors...I removed the northbridge heatsink and I replaced the thermal paste.

STILL NO CHANGE!

I bought a cheap PCI diagnostic card- PCI SMART DEBUGGER CARD but I found nothing new. Money down the drain...I wouldn't buy this debugger card again and I would buy something better instead.

The PCI debugger card at least revealed that the +3.3V +5V +/-12V voltages were OK.

The motherboard was stuck at: "control to INT 19H boot loader".

I searched for a solution for hours and nothing worked.

I connected a HDD, a DVD-ROM and a floppy unit thinking that maybe this was the problem. I tried multiple BIOS versions. I checked the jumpers. All was for nothing.

When I connected the HDD on the second IDE port the PCI debugger card showeed nothing.

Problems, problems and even more problems.

Over the course of the last test sessions I saw that the southbridge chip got extremely hot. I couldnt keep my finger on it for more than two seconds. For sure this was the culprit for all of my problems. This also meant that the motherboard was toast.

In a gesture of maximum frustration I dumped the board in the box and I tried to forget it.

Even so I wasnt ready to call it quits and I bought some cheap Chong CD110X capacitors and I replaced the VRM caps. 7 pcs in total. I would change them with japanese caps if the motherboard would spring into life.

Image Image Image

The motherboard showed just a flatline.

YEP you have guessed it! :D NO CHANGE!!!

If I add up the time, effort and money we arrive at a respectable sum of money. Maybe I should've paid the full price and get a working board from EBAY LIKE A BO$$.

This board was a total faillure!

From this endeavour I also got some positive aspects. Now I can change capacitors with zero headaches. Dead meat was useful after all. :D

Over and out! Nothing more to add. I dont want to hear about Gigabyte GA-8TM a long time from now.

Sometimes it's better to quit while you are ahead instead of giving everything for nothing...live and learn. This mishap made me reluctant to buy motherboards that I would've bought in the past. Now I even look to see what brand of capacitors are on the board before I make the purchase.

gallery: https://postimg.cc/gallery/1ey3rxtgk/

This was THE FLOP!

More later.
Robert B

Postby Robert B » 2019-2-10 @ 11:18

Toto - Hold The Line

NEXT WEEK: THE BIG Flea Market Surprise Episode!

1. Adaptec 1200A RAID Controller
2. KINGMAX DDR400 / KINGMAX HARD-CORE DDR500
3. NVIDIA Quadro FX 1000 / ZALMANN VF700 AlCu
4. Butterfly Intel i740 8MB AGP
5. RIMM
6. 370CPU REV 1.0 slotket / Intel Celeron 900MHz/100 SL5LX
7. ASUS AGP-V6800DDR/32M(TVR) - Geforce 256 DDR / Asus V6800 DELUXE
8. Thermaltake Super Orb / Athlon XP 1900+ *** AX1900DMT3C *** AGOIA0152RPBW / Athlon XP 2800+ *** AXDA2800DKV4D *** ADYHA0512RPMW
9. Creative Sound Blaster 16 *** Creative Labs CT2890 *** Vibra16SPNP
10. Gigabyte GA-622-16 REV 1.0 *** Riva TNT 2 M64 16MB AGP
11. GUS ACE 1.1 *** ADVANCED GRAVIS ULTRASOUND ACE VERSION 1.1

147 pictures! :D

More later.
Robert B

Postby PcBytes » 2019-2-11 @ 14:01

I just happened to come across an gem that was dead just as in your case (although my board was a GA-8IK1100, i875P) so I kinda feel your pain after trying to replace the burnt SB myself (mine was a FW82801ER, bigger than yours so it was a bit easier to handle I guess) and ending up ripping traces. Someday I might actually hunt down a GA-8IK1100 just for the sake of it and pair it up with a Winfast A380 Ultra. (I have the latter, just it's artefacting, might see how to come up with a plan to reflow it :happy: )
Main: Xeon X5450, 8GB RAM DDR2, DFI Lanparty DK P45-T2RS
Wolfram: C2D E6750, 2GB DDR2, ASUS P5K-SE/EPU
R.A.I.D: Pentium 4 2.8GHz, 2GB DDR400, ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
Totem: Pentium S 166MHz, 128MB RAM, Totem TM-586TX4
Voodoo: AMD K6-2 500MHz, 128MB RAM, LuckyStar 5MVP3
PcBytes
Oldbie

Postby Robert B » 2019-2-13 @ 16:59

Eminem - Bitch Please II (Feat. Dr. Dre & Xzibit & Snoop Dogg)

FLEA MARKET SURPRISE! - (the big version)

As you probably know by now, the Flea Market Surprise episodes present components that I found at the local flea market. They have been bought at very low prices. 2-5 EUROS max.

F.M.S. because you never know what you might find there!

The presentation is short and I let the pictures tell the story.

Let's meet the FRESH MEAT! Fresh from the gutter I mean. :D By the time I'm done with them, they will shine brighter than a diamond in the g0at$ a$$!!! :D

5. RIMM
8. Thermaltake Super Orb / Athlon XP 1900+ *** AX1900DMT3C *** AGOIA0152RPBW / Athlon XP 2800+ *** AXDA2800DKV4D *** ADYHA0512RPMW

Nothing fancy.

Image Image Image

gallery: https://postimg.cc/gallery/2e5uj4gpw/

Ahhh GooD Ol' KINGMAX!

Cleaned, tested and put in the stash o' RAM.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

gallery: https://postimg.cc/gallery/36vxyekro/

Nice card but DEAD. The Zalmann VF700 cooler has most likely damaged the card. Even the heatspreader from the graphic chip had its corners reaching for the sky.

It is possbile that maybe the card was put under a twisting action but I didnt find any evidence on the PCB to sustain this. Most likely, the retaining system of the Zalmann cooler is the culprit here. The two anchoring points put a lot of strain on the PCB and the diagonal backplate is not doing her job well.

I used to like this type of coolers but I wouldnt leave one mounted on any card for more than a few hours.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

gallery: https://postimg.cc/gallery/1kyanmh0k/

i740!

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

gallery: https://postimg.cc/gallery/vgfe0eck/

5. RIMM

Squeaky clean.

Image Image

gallery: https://postimg.cc/gallery/1srwjzw6c/

You never know when you might need a slotket! Better buy them when you see them!

Image Image Image Image Image

gallery: https://postimg.cc/gallery/g1ha00x0/

2.2 EUROS for a GF256 DDR? HELL YEAH!

Unfortunately the card has issues. A CHRONTEL CH7005C-T chip has signs of damage. The card shows artifacts.

So much for my cheap GF256 DDR...

I repaired the cooling system and I cleaned the card well. No dirty parts in my collection!

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

gallery: https://postimg.cc/gallery/3adtexhus/

I'll tell you what is the specialty of the TT Super ORB...to make a lot of racket! Man this cooler is noisy as hell! :D

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

gallery: https://postimg.cc/gallery/2vvj60vj8/

Mint!

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

gallery: https://postimg.cc/gallery/2nbqlbmw4/

A TNT2 M64 with a TURBO JUMPER? Who would've thought? :D

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

The 3dmark99 scores are similar as the benchmark ran at a resolution of 800x600(CPU limited). If I would've used a 1024x768 resolution the performance increase coming from 125/150 to 160/160 would've been more visible.

gallery: https://postimg.cc/gallery/2z2dpki3o/

IMMACULATE! and RED!

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

gallery: https://postimg.cc/gallery/fpkxt50k/

This was THE BIG F.M.S.!

Enjoy!

IceCube - Check Yo Self

More later.
Robert B

Postby bjwil1991 » 2019-2-13 @ 17:31

Huh? Where'd you find the GUS ACE card? I can never find one on eBay.
C64, WheelWriter 10 Series II QuietWriter 8, Pack-Mate 28 Plus, K6-2/300, Pavilion N3350, iMac G3 & G4, Socket 462, 2x Inspiron 600m, Athlon 64, Dimension 4550 & E510, ThinkPad R40, Presario C700, ASUS X54C, Raspberry Pi B+, 2B-3B+, Custom FX-6300
bjwil1991
l33t

Postby Robert B » 2019-2-13 @ 18:00

I found the GUS ACE at the local flea market where I live. :D 2.2 EUROS! :D
Robert B

Postby SirNickity » 2019-2-14 @ 18:23

!_! ENVY.
SirNickity

Previous

Return to System Specs