VOGONS

First post, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wave-Master_zpstkfzwwck.jpg

Background
I've not built a Socket 462 for years. I've been building socket A machines since 2000, one of my first jobs was at a PC shop and used to build a number a week. All of my recent retro machines have been PIIIs or P4s, anything I didn't have back in the day. So why this build? I have a top end P4 build, a top end PIII build so wanted something in between - however, I wanted it to be flexible. I have a number of AGP graphics cards ranging from ATi Rage Maxx, Voodoo 5 5500, Matrox G400 MAX e.t.c. that I wanted to use in something a little more powerful. The board was key here, the MSI KT3 supports, AGP x2 & x4 and supporting 333 XP Processors. Whilst the current processor is a XP2100, this will soon be replaced with a 2500+

Specifications
CPU AMD XP 2100+, 1.73Ghz
Motherboard MSI KT3 Ultra2 Motherboard, K7 333mhz
RAM 1Gb DDR 333mhz CL2.5 RAM or 2Gb DDR266 CL2.5 Ram
Primary Graphics Card 256mb Geforce FX5900 Ultra
Sound Card Creative Sound Blaster Audigy
NIC SiteCom PCI Network 10/100 Adapter
Storage 40Gb Western Digital 7200rpm IDE Hard Drive (To be upgraded)
Optical 16x DVD-ROM Drive
Optical Mitsumi CR-48XCTE 40/20/48 Drive
Extra Creative Audigy Live Drive
PSU Antec 450w PSU
Case Cooler Master Wave Master

The Case
One of the main reason for the build! I love the old school CoolerMaster cases, just classic. I was browsing my local gumtree and came across a Wave Master for £12, I also checked out his other items and he had a Creative Audigy with a live drive for £7! I snapped it up.

Cooler-master-wave1_zpsduwyvscy.jpg

Case-Inside-Empty_zpsrqh1ilzk.jpg

The motherboard arrived with the Heatsink fan attached. I took it off and greeted with this...

Motherboard-first_zps3ncmtclc.jpg

The Creative Sound Blaster Audigy complete with the breakout box

SB-Aud_zpswcrec2l3.jpg

MSI KT3 Ultra2 Series motherboard, a very universal motherboard, supporting AGP x2 & x4. The bios upgrade allows support for the Barton 3000+ Athlon XP.

KT3-ultra_zps6dihwhbq.jpg

Optical Drives including the Audigy breakout box (Live drive I always call them?!) I'm going to replace the Generic DVD ROM drive. The CD-RW is quite decent however.

Drive-bays_zpsbsngzm4c.jpg

The beast! The 256mb Geforce FX5900 Ultra, it appears to be a reference card. I have a 9800 Pro on order, will be nice to compare the cards back to back.

5900ultra_zpsliiv8clu.jpg

All built!

Inside-Case-1_zpsiokjrzhe.jpg

Inside-Case-3_zpsllqdjslg.jpg

Case-floor_zpsgvh140cc.jpg

Benchmarks to follow...

Upgrades to follow

Processor Upgrade > Barton
160Gb IDE 7200rpm Hard Drive
Decent DVD-ROM drive

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 3 of 32, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Agreed! Timeless classic!

I love the ATC201 - I could never find one cheap enough. Make sure you post some photos!

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 4 of 32, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That case reminds me of my friend's 2004 build (Athlon64, 6800 GT ... the rig to envy at that time) but iirc it was a Thermaltake Tsunami instead. If that was a copycat of this Wave Master model, I didn't know at the time.

£12

I'd go pick it up at that price myself!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 5 of 32, by SBB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice system! I love the wavemaster .. I have the same case lying around to do a build with at some point 😀 I have a 939 board and an Athlon X2 spare so maybe I will put that in there. Silver case with a door is a great way to use these beige CDROMs without causing too much eye strain 😉

What OS do you plan to run on this machine, XP?

Reply 6 of 32, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SBB wrote:

Nice system! I love the wavemaster .. I have the same case lying around to do a build with at some point 😀 I have a 939 board and an Athlon X2 spare so maybe I will put that in there. Silver case with a door is a great way to use these beige CDROMs without causing too much eye strain 😉

Currently Running Windows XP Home Edition, SP2 which was exactly what I was running on my Barton setup .

Last night I swapped over hard drives for a Samsung Spinpoint PATA 160Gb, hardly any difference in the benchmarks assuming the controller is the limit here but the seek time is vastly improved, 13ms over 17ms.

I've bought a number of upgrades which are due to arrive shortly 😀

Reply 8 of 32, by SBB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
foey wrote:
Currently Running Windows XP Home Edition, SP2 which was exactly what I was running on my Barton setup . […]
Show full quote
SBB wrote:

Currently Running Windows XP Home Edition, SP2 which was exactly what I was running on my Barton setup .

Last night I swapped over hard drives for a Samsung Spinpoint PATA 160Gb, hardly any difference in the benchmarks assuming the controller is the limit here but the seek time is vastly improved, 13ms over 17ms.

What is the reason to run SP2 over SP3?

Reply 9 of 32, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

19/07/2016 *Small Update*

So this evening I upgraded the processor. I have a few more upgrades waiting to be posted! All excited to finish this build!

AMD Athlon XP 2500 Barton Processor...

Barton-2500_zpscgmuxnhb.jpg

The case was a real asset here. In other cases I would of either had to remove the motherboard or the PSU to get the leverage I needed to take off the CPU cooler. Three screws and a couple of cables to unplug and the tray slid out.

Barton-2500-upgradingCPU_zpshz7lg0zi.jpg

Barton-2500-upgradingCPU2_zpsacg4i2wf.jpg

2500-XP-CPUZ_zpsgfyo9jy0.jpg

The CPU runs a fair bit cooler - which is great as the British weather is very hot currently! 😀

Connected to the 5900 Ultra, I've got a DVi to HDMi cable which runs to one of my two DELL U2414h. Pictured is Unreal Tournament running at 1280x1024 @ 4:3 mode on the monitor. The camera does not capture how sharp it looks. Colours look great on the IPS screen.

UT2004_zps6ryqhmel.jpg

Sitting proud next to my main workstation (Antec Solo II - Love this case, i5 2500+)

Brothers_zps14mywsik.jpg

Reply 12 of 32, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SBB wrote:
foey wrote:
Currently Running Windows XP Home Edition, SP2 which was exactly what I was running on my Barton setup . […]
Show full quote
SBB wrote:

What is the reason to run SP2 over SP3?

It was what I was using back with my Athlon XP build and the last time I installed SP3 on my Pentium 4 rig it was a tad less responsive. I was originally going to install SP1 but needed the LBA fix for drives over 128Gb.

It runs very nice, however you forget when your multitasking that the Athlon has only one core once it starts crawling! 😀

Reply 14 of 32, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A couple of updates...

I wanted to replace both Optical drives with something a little special. The DVD-ROM was a budget brand and hardly worked and the CD-RW drive I had in there was very loud, although did function.

I always remember the special blue TDK drive back when they first came out. They were just a standard IDE CD-RW drive but the tray was blue! Transparent blue! After checking on ebay I found one in the UK but was up for £20. I offered them £10 and accepted straight away. Probably a little overpriced for a standard CD-RW drive... but it's blue... right 🤣

TDK-Drive_zpsyaqkrwtf.jpg

Next up was a favorite of mine, I had the tray version of Pioneers DVD-ROM drive but not the slot. The slot drive looked so much "cooler" in the day - so again I managed to find a boxed one! Complete with even a floppy disc (Assuming DOS drivers) Kudos for the owner in keeping the complete box, I have to say I don't think I've ever kept a box for a optical drive before!

DVD-outside_zpsicix3gqi.jpg

Both fitted, I'm happy. Period correct currently as well. Enjoy the photos...

Case-Showcase-2_zps3odzrij2.jpg

Case-Showcase-Port_zpseogebbq0.jpg

Case-Showcase-1_zpspnrmzjds.jpg

Case-Showcase-Closeup_zpsaooqslh2.jpg

Case-Showcase-Closed-0_zpspgu4abjs.jpg

Case-Showcase-rear_zps6pvizm4z.jpg

I did also find a Hercules 9800 Pro. I owned this card brand new and bought it from Overclockers.co.uk when they had their special on them. I was replacing my ti4600 at the time. It was my first proper ATi 3D card. I was blown away. The Hercules card looked the business as well.
I was overjoyed to see one in the UK listed and purchased for £10 in shipping. However, whilst it posts, the display goes all broken as soon as the Windows XP loading screen comes on. The card is dead 😒 😵
A real shame as It would of been nice to do a back to back on the same system to test against the 5900 Ultra. I'll keep looking.

##
Next up on the list

- IDE Rounded Cables
- Replacement CPU Cooler

Last edited by foey on 2016-07-23, 20:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 32, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hated that case because of the damned door. It always got in the way, and would swing open at the worst times. It was eventually wrenched off completely when it swung open and caught in a doorway while I was carrying the case.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 16 of 32, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quick update time.

I wanted to get some decent RAM for the system. I had Kingston Hyper X DDR400 in my previous AMD XP rig.

I managed to find a stick of Crucial Ballistix 1 GB PC3200 DDR400 SDRAM on ebay for £6.

RAM_zpsutz2ylq7.jpg

I also replaced the standard IDE Cables with rounded ones, again ebay. Not the best photo!

Inside-Case-4_zpsfriqhg1d.jpg

I also had another play with the previously thought dead Hercules 9800 Pro. It worried me that the display was fine in the BIOS and during the post. I booted it up on another Machine (PIII 1Ghz, AGP) and it worked fine. I tried it in the Athlon XP machine and booted into life. Unsure what happened in my previous attempt. It was not however without problems.

Herc-9800pro_zpsny4bhhwe.jpg

I installed the latest drivers which were actually quite slow but ran. I then tried older drivers, namely the Omega which I used back in the day with the card - however all of them had issues in 3DMark. Lines and triangles displaying throughout the scenes. After trying 5 sets of drivers and even a new build (to ensure no previous driver issues) it turned out to be an issue when Installing the drivers with "Fast Writes" I disabled and 3DMark looks fine.

However, the fan is almost dead - needs replacing, the GPU runs very hot as a result and I'm still having problems with 3DMark 2001. 2003 runs perfect, 2001 on the 9-11 test reboots the PC. I'm going to wait until I replace the cooler to investigate further despite a 80mm blowing on the headsink as a temporary measure. I've gone back to the 5900 Ultra.

Just playing around with Overclocking the CPU. This seems to be the sweet spot. Any more and I get AGP issues (No dam divider on the motherboard)

ScreenGrab_zpstezp1vqh.png

I also can't get UXTheme to work. I've tried the latest version of UXTheme and replacing the .dll manually with the SP2 Version - still no joy.

Reply 17 of 32, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This would be nice for your 9800pro:

Arctic ATI Silencer 1 Rev. 2

(Maybe hard to find these days...)

Attachments

• 139187.jpg
    Filename
    139187.jpg
    File size
    9.53 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 18 of 32, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
melbar wrote:

This would be nice for your 9800pro:

Arctic ATI Silencer 1 Rev. 2

(Maybe hard to find these days...)

performance Pc's might have one. I got one for my 5950 ultra there.

Reply 19 of 32, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

*Update time*

I was on the lookout for two more items to get a step closer to my 2003/4 build. I found them! Very lucky!

First up I found a very very clean Abit NF7-M motherboard. I couldn't find the -S which I previously had so settled on the NF7-M (With integrated Geforce 4) bar the graphics card - it's almost identical.

NF7-1_zpsi0pkrsyj.jpg

As you can see, the board was pristine. Looked like it had never been used.

NF7-2_zpsexqpytfr.jpg

The listing came with a Barton XP 2500+ and 1Gb of DDR333 Ram - all for £16. The Abit NF7 was a classic board back in the day for it's overclocking abilities - it was often paired with a Barton Processor and a 9800 Pro.

Next up was a replacement cooler for my 9800 Pro. The fan on the Hercules card was almost dead. I replaced the fan on my Hercules card previously with a Artic Cooling Rev1. It worked very well. Thanks for the suggestions above, I had no idea they made another revision - just as you posted I found one brand new unboxed on ebay which went for £9 inc shipping.

Artic-cooling-boxed_zpsfvoripvo.jpg

I kept the small heatsink at the back of the card but had to re-use the bolts from the old cooler to bring the prong/screws up to clamp on tight. It works very well, instantly cooler.

9800pro-card_zpsbykfzdfa.jpg

All fitted and tests perfectly. All of the problems I had in the previous board have gone away. I had to disable "Fast Writes" to get the card to display without issues. With the NF7 it works perfectly with fast writes enabled.

Benchmarks are quicker with the NF7 thanks to the Nforce chipset. Will post some figures shortly.

Caseinside2_zpso3td7u4a.jpg

9800Pro_zpssubp689p.jpg

Specifications As of 10/08/16

CPU AMD Athlon XP Barton 2500+, 1.83Ghz
Motherboard Abit NF7-M Motherboard, n-force 2
RAM Crucial 1Gb PC4000 (250mhz) DDR CL2.5 RAM
Primary Graphics Card 128mb ATi Hercules 9800 Pro / Artic Cooling Silencer 1, REV2. Omega 3.8.252 Drivers
Sound Card Creative Sound Blaster Audigy
NIC O/B nForce Adapter 10/100
Storage 160Gb Samsung SP1654N 7200rpm PATA Hard Drive, 8mb Cache
Optical Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD-103 Drive
Optical TDK CDRW 401248B
Extra Creative Audigy Live Drive
PSU Antec 450w PSU
Case Cooler Master Wave Master
OS Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2

Overclocking the Processor to 3200+ (@ 200fsb) but needs a little tweaking still to make 100% stable) Currently it's at stock. I still have a couple of bits to add, really want to replace the CPU Cooler and add a fan controller.

Currently playing through UT2004!