Reply 20 of 32, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I gave myself and my Barton a treat by getting this CPU cooler:

Cooler Master Aero 7+
aero7plus3.jpg

Not only does it have non-typical kick-ass design, it also runs circles around my basic Titan and Igloo S462 coolers. I think it would fit your concept of 2003/4 enthusiast PC very well.

Other options I considered were Gigabyte 3D Cooler Pro and Cooler Master Jet 7 (just for the looks!):
Gigabyte3DCooler-Pro.jpg?resize=200%2C298 CoolerMasterJet7.jpg?resize=200%2C246

Reply 21 of 32, by Robert B

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@foey - If you plan to use this platform very much, that small northbridge Abit fan has the bad habit of dying. It started to rattle soon after I bought my Abit NF7-S and then ceased up.

Reply 22 of 32, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

RacoonRider Very nice! I am looking to get an Aero 7+ but I can't find one for a decent price.

I had one originally with my XP rig in 2004, I had a play with the Aero a few months after Installed it. It directly fits a 80mm fan and found it actually performed better than the stock blower! It was quieter as well. I've managed to dig out some photos from 2004...

DSCF0003Small_zpsdzbhceav.jpg

Both Photos from - 20 ‎January ‎2014, ‏‎22:30:21

Zalman%20NB%20Cooler%20Cable%20Management%20Small_zpsf939fp5g.jpg

Robert B Good shout, as you can see in the photo I had one of those as well as my fan was on its way out. I've just checked on ebay and see that they still sell them! I'll grab one!

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 24 of 32, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

** 15/08/2016 Update **

A couple of updates this evening. I've been trying to obtain a Cooler Master Aero for sometime now, The only one I could find was a brand new in box for over £40 delivered. However, I managed to find a Aero 7 (Lite?) but was part of a bundle. It was grouped with a XP 2800+ and Gigabyte motherboard - all were for spares of repairs.

I offered him £15 + delivery and he accepted. Considering on the Ebay marketplace you can't get hold of a 2800+ for less than £10 + Delivery. So the Aero 7 Lite is slightly different to the plus I previously had in 2004. It's Ali & not cooper and does not have the floppy bay speed controller (Just a PCI slot controller)

I was pleased to get the processor along with the cooler, all of which were horribly covered in thermal paste and terribly packed. But anyway - enjoy the photos...

Giving the Aero a good clean!

IMG_4441-2_zpsopmgbuwe.jpg

IMG_4445_zpsqd0yjoy6.jpg

IMG_4451-2_zpsnqiwef4o.jpg

IMG_4450_zps7yvdepej.jpg

IMG_4452_zpsig7myryg.jpg

Specifications As of 15/08/16

CPU AMD Athlon XP Barton 2800+, 2.08Ghz, Coolermaster Aero 7 Lite Cooler
Motherboard Abit NF7-M Motherboard, n-force 2
RAM Crucial 1Gb PC4000 (250mhz) DDR CL2.5 RAM
Primary Graphics Card 128mb ATi Hercules 9800 Pro / Artic Cooling Silencer 1, REV2. Omega 3.8.252 Drivers
Sound Card Creative Sound Blaster Audigy
NIC O/B nForce Adapter 10/100
Storage 160Gb Samsung SP1654N 7200rpm PATA Hard Drive, 8mb Cache
Optical Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD-103 Drive
Optical TDK CDRW 401248B
Extra Creative Audigy Live Drive
PSU Antec 450w PSU
Case Cooler Master Wave Master
OS Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 26 of 32, by Robert B

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Top notch! I like it a lot 😁, especially since it is very similar with my 5th PC - Athlon XP 2800+. Titan CU5TB Cooler, ABit NF7-S, 1GB DDR, Thermaltake Purepower 430W, Leadtek 6600GT 128MB AGP, Western Digital Caviar WD800JB, LG DVD-RAM. It's still in use at my aunts shop 😁

Reply 27 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never even knew such cool CPU HSFs existed for sA!

I only knew about one with heatpipes (never had one of those in my hands either, alas).

Lovely build 😀
I do like how those case doors looked, but I never really found them very practical.

Robert B wrote:

Top notch! I like it a lot 😁, especially since it is very similar with my 5th PC - Athlon XP 2800+. Titan CU5TB Cooler, ABit NF7-S, 1GB DDR, Thermaltake Purepower 430W, Leadtek 6600GT 128MB AGP, Western Digital Caviar WD800JB, LG DVD-RAM. It's still in use at my aunts shop 😁

Then I suppose it was really build to last! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 28 of 32, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pardon me for reviving an old thread, but that is a killer rig. Not a single component out of place. Well done!

The Cooler Master WaveMaster is particularly nice - beautiful aesthetics and great condition. That case has been on my wish list for years.

PCGames9505

Reply 29 of 32, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a build based on the Wave Master as well, but is a Socket 939 based Athlon 64 on an ASUS A8R-MVP, 2 GB RAM, Geforce 210 as placeholder, 2x 250 GB HDD

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 30 of 32, by RETROKOMODO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
foey wrote on 2016-08-15, 21:01:

** 15/08/2016 Update **

Sorry, sorry.. I know this post is hideously old now, but I don't suppose you could tell me how I can get the plastic upper part off the aluminium block? I just got two of these coolers, and there is no help on the internet for how to take it apart!!

Attachments

Reply 31 of 32, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RETROKOMODO wrote on 2024-02-21, 20:53:
foey wrote on 2016-08-15, 21:01:

** 15/08/2016 Update **

Sorry, sorry.. I know this post is hideously old now, but I don't suppose you could tell me how I can get the plastic upper part off the aluminium block? I just got two of these coolers, and there is no help on the internet for how to take it apart!!

Looks like a 2-part unit...the heatsink mount (with lugs & posts) and the fan itself. Seems at each corner you'll need to ease the lug back sufficiently to free the fan from the lug retaining lip and then prize the fan up past the lip and off the post. Hope this pic makes a bit more sense!

CM Aero 7 Lite.jpg
Filename
CM Aero 7 Lite.jpg
File size
56.21 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 32 of 32, by RETROKOMODO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Essentially that was it! But when I tried it first it involved using a screwdriver to release the clips through the metal fins, and then the whole top came off. Then once the collar was off I could see it properly, and your explanation was spot on. Thanks!