VOGONS

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

So I'm board with my via c3 system. It's fun and all but with a via chip set Mobo I can't get over 1.7ghz and stable.
I hit 1.6ghz and it was more then stable and I was able to hit 1.88ghz with my be62 witch was cool and all, but it's time for a new system!

It will be a high end 1.4ghz setup! It's not going to be top of the line, but close!

Cpu: 1.4ghz piii-s tB1 SL6BY
Mobo: Asus CUSL2 "Black Pearl"
Ram: 512mb samsung sdr ram.
PSU: 600w seasonic
GPU: Asus fx5950 ultra
Sound card: via tremor.
HDD: 150gb raptor
Case: old sever case (the same used in the via build)

Given the mobo and ram I sould be able to hit 1.7ghz without a fuss wile keeping 2-2-2 timings.ill need to buy some better ram and I'll should be able to hit 1.8ghz with good cooling and provided the 5950 does not crap out with the higher agp speeds.

I have everything and I'll start putting it together this Monday!

Reply 1 of 17, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With 1800 MHz, then your AGP port (@85.4MHz) on ASUS CUSL2 is ~19Mhz overclocked, right?
Some VGA cards might have some problems with this OC...

The CUSL2 has no further dividers at FSB166, can see it online inside of CUSL2 manual...
Seems like it is a really good OC board.

I have also a tualatin compatible board (it's the QDI SX5EP v2.0), but Asus BIOS options are quite more extensive.
The range of host clock is 66 to 166 according to QDI's manual.

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 2 of 17, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sounds fantastic, be sure to post some Photos asap 😀

Love those Raptors, assuming that it's SATA - Are you using a PCI SATA card?

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 3 of 17, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Yeah the board is not too bad for overclocking. Over in hwbot it's often considered a next best thing to the tusl2.

At 1.8ghz I'm sure it will be more then I'll ever need. I still have yet to make a choice on the cpu cooling. I was thinking of a water block as if I ever get ahold of better ram I can go for 2ghz. But a good air cooler should do at 1.8ghz.

And yes I'll be using a pci sata card.

I had the heat sink off the chipset. It's not 24k gold or even gold. It's gold colored anodized aluminum.

Reply 4 of 17, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Ok I now know why I got the mobo for so cheap. I was inspecting it and found a cap that was out of place (wrong rating/type) along with a cut trace. I replaced the cap and kind of got carried away... I fixed the trace too.

The bios on this board is a lot like the asus via board I have, but with a tad bit more overclocking options. Nothing like an abit board but I'm sure I can get 166fsb stable with it. 1.8ghz sould work, but the pci bus will have a good overclock and might give fits. I will find out!

Also it has some nice dividers much like the TUSL2 board I had back in the day. Heck I can set the fsb at 216 (Max fsb) and the ram can run as low as 162mhz. Only problem is that the pci bus will be at 54mhz At 216fsb. With some mods I'm sore I could get 2ghz stable.

The board also has a nice bios boot logo.

Reply 5 of 17, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I made my mind up on cooling! Unfortunately water cooking was out of my price range. I had a 20$ budget and even with all aluminum parts it would still be over budget.

So I bought a Evercool NCA-610EA Northbridge cooller and I'll make my own mounting clip of need be. Should be cooling to have a tower heat sink on a sk370 setup. Don't know how it will work? I'll find out.

Reply 6 of 17, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I could have sworn this board supported the1.4ghz piii-s. Any way I did the pin mod, only needed to remove the 3 pins, bridging pins made it less stable.

Reply 7 of 17, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Hardware end is near complete. Just have to put the front panel back in.

The chipset heatsink works good too! Ides at 31.5-32c and laod is around 38-40c, room temp is in the upper 70f.

But I thinki I'll sell some old parts of mine on eBay and ether trak down a high end 462 heatsink or go for water.

Reply 9 of 17, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

Yell this sucks, the black pearl is dead. But I got a tusl2 to replace it.

Any idea as to why it kicked the bucket?

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 10 of 17, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
nforce4max wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

Yell this sucks, the black pearl is dead. But I got a tusl2 to replace it.

Any idea as to why it kicked the bucket?

A traces on the back of the bord kept shorting along with a cap (a new one I replaced)
It would crash like clock work. One hour in and bang the system crashed. The cap was good too, something internal killed the cpu too 😒.
I also got some pc166 ran for the system too this will be one high end sk370 system when I'm done with it!

Reply 11 of 17, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

A traces on the back of the bord kept shorting along with a cap (a new one I replaced)
It would crash like clock work. One hour in and bang the system crashed. The cap was good too, something internal killed the cpu too 😒.
I also got some pc166 ran for the system too this will be one high end sk370 system when I'm done with it!

Tried to repair the trace with some wire? Maybe this will bring it back.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 12 of 17, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Did that, but it kept shorting and brunning up the wire. At first I soldered the cut trace bit the solder melted, not worth my time to be honest. That and I don't want a PC that will burn my home down 😒

Reply 13 of 17, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It has killed your PIII-S 1400? this is not really nice...board dead...CPU dead.

By the way, several weeks ago, i've also have "overheaten" a thunderbird CPU (A1000) due to not using thermal paste... forgot that these generation without heatspreader was really sensitive..

Next time let's see how it works better... for example i have an Athlon1333 which needs to be underclocked...

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 14 of 17, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
melbar wrote:

It has killed your PIII-S 1400? this is not really nice...board dead...CPU dead.

I know, but the tusl2 is a lot better board.

Reply 16 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:
melbar wrote:

I know, but the tusl2 is a lot better board.

Depends on how you look at it.

A few of those 'special edition' boards was made, kinda like what the Black Pearl was. It's not about performance, I think it's a waste to destroy a Black Pearl like that.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 17, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

It just a black PCB nothing big there, but I get your point. Anyway I got the board dead and was able to get it up and running for a week. That and there not all the rare so it no big deal to me.
I do repair motherboards as a fun side job and this board is not worthwhile in my option to save, it amounts to a $25 board in working order to me. That's about what I can buy them for all day long.

There was there are is a short inside of one of the PCB layers. the board kept lighting up burning traces and and blowing caps around the NB.