VOGONS

First post, by SBB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Been meaning to show this one off for a while but I only just got hold of the CPU and a few other bits I needed to finish it. A few years ago I found a new in box Chieftec Dragon case on ebay ... in this rather cool Green colour scheme! I think this case was released in around 2000 ... so thought it fitting to build a system around that year!

In the future I will possibly add an IDE or maybe SCSI controller ... and I still need to get a few more cooling fans. But here it is for now! 😎

Specs:
Intel Pentium III-S 1.4GHz - "Tualatin" core
QDI Advance 10T Socket 370 motherboard
Q-TEC Heatpipe CPU cooler
2x256MB SDRAM 133MHz, CL2
3DFX Voodoo 5500 AGP graphics card
Aureal Votex 2 (AU8830) PCI sound card
Intel PRO/100 PCI network card
Thermaltake TR2 420W PSU
2x80GB Western Digital ATA133 Hard Drives
LG IDE DVD-RW
Windows 98 SE

BY9TnAd.jpg
VhT2cj9.jpg

Reply 1 of 12, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very nice!

I really like the case - I almost thought there might be a G-Force in there thanks to the colour 😀 I had same one in black with my Athlon XP build ~2004.

Very tidy build. No rear case fan though?

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 2 of 12, by SBB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, yeah i've got a few 80mm fans on order for it, hopefully get those put in next week. I was originally going to use some spares that I have in a box but they're all pretty old and noisy.

Reply 5 of 12, by SBB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here are some quick 3dMark benchmarks. I have tweaked the BIOS as much as I can but there doesn't appear to be any proper overclocking options ... Voodoo card is at stock until I improve the cooling in the case, then I may have a play with the clock speeds.

dt46RpT.jpg
FmcviaL.jpg
vl0H4d2.jpg

Reply 6 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very nice! 😁

I never seen a CPU HSF like that, do you happen to have a pic or 2 of the CPU HSF itself?
Your rig looks very well balanced and I like the case a lot. I have one of those myself, though mine is purple (was repainted from green by the previous owner and he did a good job at it too).

I would add a single casefan though and block the other outtake, though I don't think it is absolutely really necessary to add the second fan with your components as they produce relatively little heat (2 case fans shouldn't be needed, but it wouldn't hurt except for your ears if you put 2 loud ones in there and the V5 will like the extra cooling).

If you want, you could create a second install on another harddrive using ME so you can compare the 2.

Well balanced, very clean, well build, cheers and have fun! 😁

Last edited by Tetrium on 2016-07-28, 17:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 12, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ultimate is definitely the word. You are tantalisingly close to breaking 10,000 on 3DMark 99! I guess a V5 overclock will push it over the edge. 😀

Nice board, by the way. QDI made very solid boards in this era. I have the 10F version which, sadly, doesn't support Tualatin. Nice build!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 8 of 12, by SBB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I won the heatsink for £0.99 GBP on an ebay auction - new and sealed! It's listed as a socket 462 cooler but fits socket 370 also.

The design is similar to a modern tower cooler but it's a bit smaller (I think its an 80mm fan)

https://web.archive.org/web/20041010215215/ht … htm?artnr=14140

14140.jpg

Qtec made some very dodgy gold power supplies back in the day (claimed they could deliver 550w for a low price but exploded after hardware review sites tested them only at 50% load) so I was a bit hesitant about this product but it works very well, CPU temperature doesn't get above 36c even running prime95!

More cooling come this week and then I will try a Voodoo 5500 OC 😎

Yes, I didnt know about QDI before I built this machine, but it's a rock solid board! I would recommend it to anyone looking to build a machine of this era, if you don't mind missing OC options.

Reply 11 of 12, by SBB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Richo wrote:

I love it! The mean green beast 😎
Still harhour some love for the early 00's mod cases, quality ones were rare sadly and most couldn't handle continues lan party transport.
You tempt me to recreate my athlon from back in the days 🤣

I know tell me about it. I used to attend lots of lan parties in the 00s and would see the odd perosn with a really cool chieftec case with mods and water cooling.. something like this is what I dreamed of:

wcpc11.jpg

but as a teenager with no money this is what I had:

uVz6i.gif

🤣

Reply 12 of 12, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
SBB wrote:
Richo wrote:

I love it! The mean green beast 😎
Still harhour some love for the early 00's mod cases, quality ones were rare sadly and most couldn't handle continues lan party transport.
You tempt me to recreate my athlon from back in the days 🤣

I know tell me about it. I used to attend lots of lan parties in the 00s and would see the odd perosn with a really cool chieftec case with mods and water cooling.. something like this is what I dreamed off

🤣

Didn't care much for water cooling back in the day for its reputation from hearsay, so never bothered until my current nain rig with the Intel WC. Where there WC kits like today (read everything complete when you buy it like the popular corsairs hx WC)?
Couldn't resist the urge, more will follow....