VOGONS

First post, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, All ! In someway Digital Cameras are computers too - some of them appeared on the marked as early as mid 1990s or even, before...) Anyway old digital cameras can be described as vintage hardware, too... Here's my first Digital camera - Nikon D1x. Actually, I had two of them - D1h, and D1x - one 3.5 m.p., other - 5. ))) Bought it from James Hill - one one of the greatest photographers of our time for about 500$ - in 2006 - new it was about 5000-8000$)

Now thinking to order a battery for D1x - as it's colours are extremely vivid and oustanding for a digital camera even now)

UW81FST.jpg

Reply 1 of 21, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, does it still work all fine?

My first own Nikon film body was a F-801s that I bought used for a class, and then D70s for digital.

Some people still favor the rendering of old CCD sensors over modern CMOS sensors indeed. I'd sure love to play with one of these! 😀

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 3 of 21, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Had this one back in 2002 - HP 215. Pretty shitty camera, only good in daylight.

ZP21A.JPG

I replaced it with Minolta X20 when it came out in 2003 - also bought a 256MB SD card for ~100€ 😲 But this was "normal" back then 😉

ZX20A.JPG

I liked it a lot... small, light and with internal folded 3X zoom lens. My dearest managed to drop in on the floor and it broke the battery compartment door. Had to replace it and bought Samsung NV100HD in 2008 that I still use today. Every time I try to replace it I change my mind 😉 It's good enough for me. Nice zoom, wide angle, 720p recording and limited touchscreen.

samsung-nv100hd-digital-camera.jpg

PS:
I like them small and light 😉

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4 of 21, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First digital camera was a Sony Mavica FD7. It was given to me for free back in 2000-2001. I really loved it too, but the floppy drive (or controller) wouldn't properly format disks, so random pictures could not be read by the computer. A few months ago I ended up buying two of them that are fully functional with good batteries.

PkC7nTY.jpg

loH6vZW.jpg

Reply 5 of 21, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Brickpad wrote:

First digital camera was a Sony Mavica FD7. It was given to me for free back in 2000-2001. I really loved it too, but the floppy drive (or controller) wouldn't properly format disks, so random pictures could not be read by the computer. A few months ago I ended up buying two of them that are fully functional with good batteries.

Cool ! I saw a mavica on retrocomputer event this winter...)

Reply 6 of 21, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1st off got to say I'm no photographer! point and click then go enjoy wherever I am is my style so none of these will be amazing. But do enjoy traveling so need something 1/2 decent to capture memories

1st Camera was a HP 707. HP had a promotion where if you sold x amount of projectors you could get a free ipod mini or one of these, We scammed it so all 4 of us at work got 1 of each somehow
camera-front.jpg

Alright camera, I took it to the UK with me but the very 1st trip to Europe it died as soon as the train from the airport arrived in the city train station!

Next was a Canon Ixus 60, Nice camera that lasted about 3 years till our house was broken into, They also stole the ipod mini from above but jokes on them I was just thinking about getting a battery kit for it as it didn't last the 1hr trip to work, so they saved me money, kind of
canon_ixus_60_6A.jpg

I was happy with my little Canon so got another, the 60 had been discontinued so got a 75. That's now close to 10 years old now and still going strong! most of the markings have rubbed off but I don't travel as much any more and when I do the Mrs is more the photographer and has better camera's so mines just backup.
canon_digital_ixus_75.jpg

Funny story with that camera was I left it on a table in a train in France. I noticed as soon as I got off but had skis and a backpack so was thinking should I quickly go back in and get it, but what if the train departs with all my stuff on the station!? in the end the train left (I would have had plenty of time if I just got it) But I went and saw the staff, 1st he called the train conductor but couldn't reach him then took a report.
about a week later they called to say they had my camera! I got it sent to my friend in France, she then sent to London so it was close to a month before I got it back but that's not bad for something I was sure I'd lost forever 😀

Reply 7 of 21, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My first Film camera was an Olympus IS-10 (still have it and it looks new was purchased new).

53d23bbd627a7_298379b.jpg

First Digital Camera was a Kodak EasyShare C340 (still have it, looks new was purchased new).

30-170-027-01.jpg

Since then a picked up some other digital cameras used for next to nothing like a Nikon Coolpix L5, Olympus FE-360, Olympus X-845, and my current Fujifilm JX520. I also have a cheap 1.3MP camera in my cheap cell phone.

4108-NikonL53quart.jpg
262605005473645.jpg
30-122-544-03.jpg

I used a Sony Mavica in the 90's at work to take pictures of customer equipment returns, was cool saving pics to a floppy disk.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 8 of 21, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

Had this one back in 2002 - HP 215. Pretty shitty camera, only good in daylight.

Mine was a photosmart too, even cheaper can you imagine ? HP 120 the picture quality was horrible, but I bought it to make references and model for animations movies I was drawing. It did spark the light of photography in me and when I had money I bought a canon 40d and now I have a canon 6d.

Reply 9 of 21, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The first film camera I could call my own was probably a Kodak Star 110, but as developing film was expensive I never used it very much.
star110.jpg

The first digital camera I've ever used was a 3.2 Mpx Sony Cybershot DSC-P71
820.jpeg

It was lent to my mother by a coworker of hers who always had to have the latest & greatest gadgets and routinely traveled to the USA to get them. It was the first time in my family that we've ever seen, let alone used a 'real' digital camera (real as in something that could reasonably replace traditional film photography in quality and usability for home use). We used the hell out of that camera for the short time we had it, it became the gateway drug for my family to get our own digital camera, which turned out to be a Nikon Coolpix L11
ZYFRONT-MD.JPG

I'm no photography connoisseur but when I've used contemporary cameras from other brands sometimes with higher megapixel counts the pictures always turned out blurrier or noisier than the Nikon, so I guess it's more about quality optics than simply 'moar megapixels!!!1!1'. We've used that camera so much than the silver paint has worn off in many places and lost track of how many times the DSCxxxx counter wrapped around. When my sister got into DSLRs I inherited the good 'ol L11 for myself to document my own electronic projects but it was downhill from there - it tended to randomly shut down with a 'low battery' message even with brand new fully charged AAs, which progressed to random sudden shutdowns but I kept using it despite the annoyances, later it lasted barely half a minute from power up to shut down but I've memorized the interface so well at this point that I could prepare/compose everything and take the shot before it would power down on me. Today it shuts off almost immediately after pressing the power button making it unusable and it seems that I'm the only user with this problem. 😢

Nowadays I've become lazy and I just use my cellphone to take pictures 🤣

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 10 of 21, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Canon PowerShot A85...which failed with the "separating" CCD issue affecting those cameras - the solder used was bad quality, and after a few years the CCD would break away from the print. Showed up as rainbow colors on the display and tilting the camera in a certain way would resolve it for a while until it simply completely failed.

Replaced for free under the replacement program (despite the camera being out-of-guarantee by years...) by a Canon PowerShot A480 which I still have and use. I'm hoping (I jest) this one too will fail under similar conditions, so I can continue getting free replacement cameras... 🤣

Reply 12 of 21, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brad1982_5 wrote:
I had one of these as a film camera http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x305/bradg1982/3789341_3za98788.jpg […]
Show full quote

I had one of these as a film camera
3789341_3za98788.jpg

I had that same camera!! That was around 1990-91? Used to leave Ninja Turtle icons in the corner of the pictures.

Reply 13 of 21, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Voigtlander-Vito-CLR.jpg
Voigtlander Vito CLR (my fathers camera, I used it from 1985 to 1997, still have it but not in working condition)

nikon-fe10-camera.jpg
Nikon FE10 (purchased it in 1997, still have it in working condition)

Nikon_F80_Camera_Body_with_205131.jpg
Nkon F80 (purchased it in 2001, still have it in working condition)

casio2.jpg
Casio EX3000 (purchased it in 2003, used it from 2003 to 2005, given away after I purchased my D70)

d70.jpg
Nikon D70 (purchased it in 2005, used it from 2005 to 2011, still have it in somehow working condition, my daughter is using it from time to time)

Coolpix.jpg
Nikon Coolpix L23 (Purchased in 2011 as a first camera for my daughter)

nikon-d90-2.jpg
Nikon D90 (Purcahsed it in 2011, still using it as my main camera)

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 14 of 21, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My first was a Samsung Digimax 800k
http://www.digicammuseum.com/en/cameras/item/digimax-800k

Used smartmedia, and interfaced by serial cable.
The original drivers just slurped everything, but switching to the Minton drivers offered preview and selection.

Fixed focus, plus fixed focus macro setting measured by the strap.

Only had an LCD info screen.

Reply 15 of 21, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ScoutPilot19 wrote:
Brickpad wrote:

Cool ! I saw a mavica on retrocomputer event this winter...)

They're pretty awesome. I have 5 of them

My FD-88 records video + sound.

Reply 16 of 21, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First film camera:
i0r67112694.jpg

My father has used it before, it still works, i even learned to develop the film and make prints of photos by myself 😜

And Lumix FZ5 was the first digital camera
3q-001.jpeg
probably dated 2005.

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 17 of 21, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My first film camera: Kodak Mickeymatic (110 film IIRC)
110_kodak_disney_mickey_matic.jpg

First SLR: Canon EOS 5 (standard 135)
Canon-EOS-5-%28EOS-5-QD---EOS-A2---EOS-A2E%29.jpg

First digital: Olympus Camedia C-1400L (...SmartMedia!!!)
pop67_c1400l.jpg

edit: the mickeymatic looks identical to the Star 110 posted above...!

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 18 of 21, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
adalbert wrote:
First film camera: http://www.sovietcams.com/sovietcams/m/m_images/wfiles/i0r67112694.jpg […]
Show full quote

First film camera:
i0r67112694.jpg

My father has used it before, it still works, i even learned to develop the film and make prints of photos by myself 😜

Zenit was the most common SLR available in where I live, during my university years (1988-1994). It was cheap and widely available in second hand markets, worked nicely, and was very sturdy, too. I never owned one, but used TTL, 12, 12XP and even plasticky 122 versions a lot.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 19 of 21, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brad1982_5 wrote:
And my first ever digital camera http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x305/bradg1982/images.jpg http://i185.photobucket.com/albums […]
Show full quote

And my first ever digital camera
images.jpg
Olympus_Camedia_C220_4.jpg

Mine too!