VOGONS

First post, by gravitone

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently finished a nice early 2000's build targeted at windows XP games.
The following components were used.

Case: Coolermaster Force 500
Reason: Local computer shop had them on sale for 19,- and wanted a new black case.

PSU: Corsair VS450
Reason: More then enough power, decent specs and protection. Low ripple currents.

Motherboard: Intel D875PBZ
Reason: Best socket 478 board I could find. This was going to be a AGP build.

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.4ghz Prescott core.
Reason: Last of the great pentium 4 cpu's. Right before everything switched to DDR2, PCI-E. The end of an era really.

CPU cooler: Zalman CNPS7700-Cu
Reason: Best all copper cooler I could get my hands on. Its hard to find a good socket 478 cooler. This one didnt break the bank, and the bearing's are in great condition. Those 3.4ghz pentium 4's are hotheads, so definitly recommended.

RAM: 4x 1gb Kingston HyperX DDR400 2-3-3-6 timings.
Reason: CL2, DDR, top of the line at the time. Might as well max out the memory given current prices.

Videocard: Sapphire radeon X1950 PRO 512mb AGP.
Reason: Maybe a bit controversial. It's a bridged PCI-E chip. But this puppy has enough shader power for some later games, and enough memory bandwidth to satisfy running some older and newer games at the 1920x1200 resolution of the monitor this system is hooked up to. Great directx9 compatability and performance. Picked this up for 7,50 with 4,- shipping.

Soundcard: Soundblaster X-FI elite pro.
Reason: Picked this baby up in new condition for 20,-. Couldn't let it pass. Provides great sound support all the way up to EAX 5.0. Did I mention onboard audio solutions at the time were garbage? Both in terms of audio quality, noise, compatabillity, features, and CPU load.

Storage: 2x500gb WD cavair 7200RPM SATA drives.
Reason: These were lying around after swapping them from another rig recently that I upgraded to 2x 1TB enterprise drives. More then enough for any scenario.

Optical drive: Some samsung DVD-R IDE writer.
Reason: It had this lying around. Since the 2 SATA ports on the board were taken by the HDD's, it had to be an IDE drive. This one is black, and in excellent condition, although a bit on the noisy side once the disc spins up. Might replace later.

Floppy drive: black NEC drive I had lying around.
Reason: Nostalgia, completeness factor. After installing it I found out the drive is dead. Will replace once I run into another one.

Monitor: Dell ultrasharp 2405FPW 1920x1200 monitor with S-PVA panel.
Reason: Picked this up in a broken state at a flee market for 10,- a few years ago.
5,- in parts and repairs and it's as good as new. Doesn't seem like it ran many hours. Backlight is still in great condition. Great colors, this thing is bright. Plenty of inputs. VGA, DVI, composite, Component, S-Video. Can do 1:1 pixel mapping, 16:9, 16:10, 4:3 due to the build in genesis image processor. The panel is a bit slow since its an older type, but im not bothered by the slight ghosting that might be present.

Input: Microsoft USB keyboard I had lying around. nothing fancy at the moment. Complimentary microsoft 5 button optical mouse. I love microsoft controllers, so also connected or on standby are: microsoft sidewinder dualstrike, xbox360 controller, sidewinder force feedback wheel, sidewinder force feedback pro (still have to build a usb converter for that one).

All in all it took me a few weeks to scavenge all the components. Didn't end up breaking the bank either. The motherboard, cpu, cooler, and ram cost me 50,- total. And another 10,- or so thrown in for shipping. I'll post some pics if anyone is interested. Still got some cable management to do though.

The radeon x1950 has been retrofitted with a better gainward cooler salvaged from a sadly now deceased geforce 7800GS+ agp card. It will be deeply missed, but at least this way its spirit lives on. The stock sapphire cooler is a crime against humanity to be honest. The VRM's still get pretty hot, but a casefan in the sidepanel provides a consistent airflow.

Last edited by gravitone on 2016-08-16, 21:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your build looks perfectly fine, clean and also simple (simple in a good way 😜), you picked some nice parts I think.

Did you prefer a Prescott over a Northwood due to SSE3? Because afaicr Northwood ran both cooler and a little bit faster per clock tick compared to Prescott, except perhaps when using SSE3.

The pics seem to be a bit broken though, you may want to fix those 😊

Nice build 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 8, by gravitone

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll fix the pictures tomorrow. Seems like they need some downsizing. Didn't really notice on my 4k monitor. I ran this setup with a 2.8ghz northwood originally. But was having some major performance issues. I really like tomb raider, but underworld would drop to 10fps in certain areas making it pretty much unplayable. The 3.4ghz prescott is a huge improvement. Jade empire showed similair results. It was consistently slow with old cpu. Didn't get a chance to compare a lot of other games.

Reply 4 of 8, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"imgur guy" (moderator) to the rescue! 😁

(Sorry to shrink but I'm a moderator who views this forum only on a 1K monitor 😉 )

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 8, by gravitone

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Let me elaborate a bit on the objectives I had in mind when building this system. I love platform games, even the 3d incarnations, and have a softspot for a number of japanese game developers and franchices. Sega, Konami, Capcom, etc. Quite a few great titles were ported to the PC but in a lot of cases rather poorly. They ran fine at the time on systems and OS's that were available, but are now no longer available. Probably solely thanks to compatability issues. In the screenshot of the desktop you can make out a few of the titles currently installed. Besides a number of pro pinball titles, you can make out Silent hill 3, the room, sonic heroes. Not seen are sega's outrun 2006 coast 2 coast, billy hatcher, crazy taxi 3. Other western titles include Asterix and Obelix XXL2, The simpsons hit and run, jade empire, Giants - Citizen kabuto, project eden, rayman 3, anno 1701, far cry, and prince of persia the warrior within. I love the tomb raider franchise, and wanted a system that could play everything up to underworld. With the 3.4ghz p4, coupled with the x1950 pro, I've achieved playable framerates and most of the time even great framerates with full detail at 1920x1200. I really wanted to get sega rally: revo running too, but sadly the system is simply too slow for this game.

Reply 7 of 8, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gravitone wrote:

Thanks for the shrinking. Just got back from work, and was just thinking about how I was going to tackle this. Mod's are just awesome 😁

Thank you! Yeah, unless we ever install some forum plugin that can automagically thumbnail overly large images for our members on smaller screens (or mobile), VOGONS members can make use of their image hosting services' built-in "thumbnailing" features (if any - but thankfully available with imgur), or optionally attach their images to the posts, which the forum can then auto-thumbnail in that case. Feel free to read the imgur tutorial I linked above. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 8 of 8, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice setup 😀

Few questions from Sapphire x1950 Pro 512MB user :

1) What driver are you using ?

2a) 4GB @ CL2 is stable ?
2b) How much RAM is actually available for OS ?

3) Can you run Crysis Benchmark Tool [gpu_benchmark] (Crysis game patched to v1.2.1) ?
Would love to see and compare your score with mine 😉

Radeon X1950 Pro (580 -1400) mini.png
Filename
Radeon X1950 Pro (580 -1400) mini.png
File size
372.66 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

4) If Crysis is out of the question, how about simple 3DMark ?
'03 : LINK
'05 : LINK
'06 : LINK

Thank you.

157143230295.png