VOGONS

First post, by holisticboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, long time lurker, new user. I have recently constructed three different Windows 98SE machines from different eras for gaming. I had most of these as parts, and finally decided to compile them all together and make machines that look at three different eras of Windows 98 gaming (basically from DOS all the way up to games like Battlefield 1942). They are as follows:

1. Early gaming
- Intel Pentium II 333mhz
- 320MB SDRAM
- 8MB Trident Blade 3D AGP graphics
- Gigabyte GA-6BXC 440BX motherboard
- ESS Audiodrive ISA sound
- 20GB Maxtor IDE C: drive
- 80GB Seagate IDE D: drive
- Sony DVD-RW IDE E: drive
- Windows 98SE with Unofficial SP

2. Slightly newer gaming machine
- Intel Pentium 3 1000mhz
- 192MB SDRAM
- 16MB Creative 3D Blaster CT6700 Riva TNT PCI graphics
- Generic motherboard (no AGP slot)
- ESS Allegro WDM sound
- 30GB Maxtor IDE C: drive
- 80GB Seagate IDE D: Drive
- LG DVD-RW IDE E: Drive

3. Newest machine
- Intel Pentium 4 1.8ghz
- 512MB DDR400 RAM
- 128MB ATI Radeon 9600XT
- Intel motherboard (no discernable model number)
- Creative Sound Blaster 5.1 PCI sound
- 80GB Seagate IDE C: Drive
- 80GB Seagate IDE D: Drive
- LG DVD-RW E: Drive

So far, I'm having fun with all of these machines. I've been enjoying the sound that they all make that is absent with new computers (everything from the "clunk"when you hit the power button, all the way to the whine of the hard drives). I've got all three machines in my server rack that sits next to my computer desk, and I use a KVM to toggle between them (with the output going to my main monitor). In the future, when moving to a larger house, I'd like a room set aside to have all three set up individually with their own monitors and keyboards (I have a huge assortment of PS/2 keyboards for these machines, and Microsoft Intellimouse mice for them), but in the meantime, they server rack switch method will have to do.

Reply 1 of 3, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you explain what a "KVM" is? Sounds like something I need to on my set up.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 2 of 3, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Keyboard Video Mouse switch.
Basically, you have one keyboard, monitor and mouse, which plugs into the "switch".
The "switch" then has multiple "in" ports which you then connect to different PC's.
I have a PS/2 version, but you also get USB versions.

With the one I have, you can either switch between them via a button on the "switch", or a keyboard shortcut.
One of the best investments I've made and saves a lot of desk space.

Reply 3 of 3, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I need to start looking for one then, as I'm having to switch off between two systems constantly. That's what like about these forums, you learn something new just about every day!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W