VOGONS

The 604 overkill build!

Topic actions

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

as much as I would like to put together a later 604 setup with those 6core or dual core xeons with pci-e, I'm staying on my home turf with a p4 based Xeon and agp setup!

The parts list
3.8ghz 800fsb 2mb P4 Xeons
dynatron h6cg with aftermarket fans.
Asus NCT-D
Seasonic SS-600HT 80+ psu
7800 gtx 256mb
4x1GB PC2-5300P DDR2 ECC REG 5-5-5-12
Intel server case full of nocta fans.
2 120gb Kingston v300 ssd in raid1.

The cpu's will be replaced with 3.2ghz 2mb Xeon.

The system will be used for both a server and daily use. My thoughts are to run one os in a vm.

The build will start tomorrow!

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-09-13, 01:46. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 1 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

OK guys, I get the mobo tonight! I have to case prepped for the board already
I also bought a BFG 6800 ultra for the system, at 75$ I know I payed to much, but I wanted one and at least I was able to bid the seller down 15$
I also got 2 120gb SSD's for the system, will be going with a raid 1 or 0 setup, don't know witch yet.

Reply 2 of 83, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Photos please 🤣

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 4 of 83, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The pc-dl only supports 533fsb xeons. If memory serves, those 3.06 chips are tge gastest it will support. I personally run one of these as my server:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboar … 25/X6DA8-G2.cfm

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 5 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
luckybob wrote:

The pc-dl only supports 533fsb xeons. If memory serves, those 3.06 chips are tge gastest it will support. I personally run one of these as my server:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboar … 25/X6DA8-G2.cfm

It supports the 3.2ghz 1m 533fsb and the 3.2ghz 2m 533fsb according to asus.

https://www.asus.com/Commercial-Servers-Works … e/HelpDesk_CPU/

Reply 7 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I was thinking of getting some later Xeons and down clocking them.
If it were not for the fixed voltage and clock multipliers I could oc the system to get 800fsb

Reply 8 of 83, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice, not many PC-DL builds around here.

I actually have one of these boards also, but haven't got anything planned for it yet.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 9 of 83, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i stand corrected. I was under the impression 3.06 was the fastest 533 xeon. I never used them, I went immediately to the 800fsb ones.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 10 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
luckybob wrote:

i stand corrected. I was under the impression 3.06 was the fastest 533 xeon. I never used them, I went immediately to the 800fsb ones.

I thought that too, that was until I started doing some looking for the best cpu for the system.
The 3.2hhz 2mb 533fsb cpu's army that common. So that's one I'll hold off on.

I'll get some photos of the work in progress tonight!

Reply 11 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

After much thinking I'll go with raid1.
with such a new ssd's and sata1, raid 0 makes no since and raid 1 will be nice if a drive were to fail.

Reply 12 of 83, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:

After much thinking I'll go with raid1.
with such a new ssd's and sata1, raid 0 makes no since and raid 1 will be nice if a drive were to fail.

SSDs in raid-0 on the PC-DL doesn't make sense just due to the fact that even a low-end SSD will max out SATA on the board anyway.

Failure rates seem very low with modern SSDs, I think you could probably benefit more just running JBOD.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC

Reply 13 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I agree 100%
But with it being a server build and me being lazy with backups I'd like to go with raid1.
I'll be running centOS or redhat in a VM for a web/ftp/mail server and hate to lose the setup. I hate Linux and setting up Linux, but for this system it's the only new server OS that would work.

I guess I could just backup the disk img file, but I rather have the simplicity of raid1.

Reply 14 of 83, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:
I agree 100% But with it being a server build and me being lazy with backups I'd like to go with raid1. I'll be running centOS o […]
Show full quote

I agree 100%
But with it being a server build and me being lazy with backups I'd like to go with raid1.
I'll be running centOS or redhat in a VM for a web/ftp/mail server and hate to lose the setup. I hate Linux and setting up Linux, but for this system it's the only new server OS that would work.

I guess I could just backup the disk img file, but I rather have the simplicity of raid1.

I've considered in the past running old machines as servers, any idea what the power draw on that rig will be under normal use?

Reply 15 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
m1919 wrote:

I've considered in the past running old machines as servers, any idea what the power draw on that rig will be under normal use?

To much. 🤣
About 100w per cpu and about 150w for the gpu.
From the PSU it will be around 550w from the wall it will be more like 6-700w watt.
That's at 100% full load. I bought a new psu for the system witch will help, its not a gold 80+ or anything. But it will help keep it down.

For what I'm doing it will probably pull about 500w from the wall.

If the system is a keeper I'll get a better psu. I have a bad habit of keeping a system for a week or two and then parting it out.
If this system is not to loud I think I'll be keeping it. I'm sure if I can get some later 800FSB xeons to work I can get the power draw lower.
a 3.6ghz xeon at 533fsb should be at 2.4ghz ( if my math is right) and I can lower the voltage and still have a faster cpu then the older 1bm cache xeon's.

I also don't have a modern PC at home and only have one running/working retro pc at a time. I have no use or interest in newer systems. So it's not like I'll be getting a bigger power bill or anything.

The idea here is to have a best of both worlds. A retro PC I can enjoy and a home server I can build a fun little website and have my own email Doman wile being able to have a PC I can use every day.
One 1gb and CPU for me, 1gb and cpu for the server 😀

Reply 16 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Heat sinks get here Monday!
I'll still need the psu to get the system running.
Once I get the heats inks I'll get the mobo mounted and post pics.

Reply 17 of 83, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Socket 604 build, sweet - can't wait to see the photos. 😀 I'm planning to put similar rig together, also based on PC-DL... but a little different CPU(s) - not sure whether to use one or two. 🤣 But either way it should be interesting.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 18 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Indeed it will be an interesting build. As are all daul cpu build that are not stickly a server.

I think I found a deal for 2 3.2ghz 2mb 533fsb xeon's. I also bought 2 newer 800fsb xeon's for like 2$. I read that with a bios update/mods you can run 800fsb Xeon on this board

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-08-28, 15:06. Edited 1 time in total.