The 604 overkill build!

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 83, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What was wrong with your PC-DL?
I actually just came on here to post about resurrecting mine. It was having a BIOS error last time I tried to use it. It's a cool board though.

Sneakpeak:

pc-dl.jpg
Filename
pc-dl.jpg
File size
333.52 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

If you're going to junk the board *please* pull the BIOS chip! I would be exceedingly happy to get my hands on a good one. 😀

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 41 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I don't know for sure. No bios beeps and my post card stops of odd codes. Sometimes it even pulled FF code but no post.
Sometime FE but for the most time it would stop of reserve codes. I think the NB is bad. it was missing a heatsink mount and was not on right. I'm going to be returning it.
I bought it on ebay and it was listed as being 100% working and I never be able to get a reply from the seller.
If they don't reply by Friday night ebay will step in and I may be able to keep the board. If I get to keep it I'll get with you on the bios chip.

Reply 42 of 83, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

The 3.6ghz xeon's and ncch-dl have shiped. I'll get the CPUs this weekend and hopefully the mobo too.

I been without a PC since I started this build. So yeah, I'd like to have it done.

What kind of 3.6 Ghz Xeon are you getting? There are both Nocona based Xeons (1 MB L2) or Irwindale Xeon (2 MB L2), your motherboard seems to support both Xeon types. If you are getting an Irwindale, check if you are getting a regular Xeon or an "E" model which the difference is the E model lacks hypertreading so if you use 2 Xeons, you'll get 2 Cores and 2 threads instead of 2 Cores and 4 Threads with the regular Xeons. Also some Irwindales needs the newest BIOS. There are also 3.8 Ghz Irwindales, but i'm not sure if it will work on that mobo or not

If i am sure. Nocona Xeons are just Pentium 4 5x1 series on a Socket 604 instead of LGA 775 and dual CPU support when Irwindale Xeons are Pentium 4 6x0 series on a Socket 604 instead of LGA 775 and dual CPU support. Both Xeons supports x64

In a clock per clock basis, both Nocona and Irwindale have worse clock per clock performance than Gallatin or even Prestonia (both Northwood derivates) due to their longer pipelines (31 stage pipeline vs 20 on the older Xeons). The only exceptions are applications which usually favores large caches (not really much if you compare with a Gallatin with a large L3) or Prescott based CPUs.

Edit: I just saw you got 3.8 GHz ones

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 43 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I do not have 3.8ghz xeons nor will I be.
I got 2 SL7ZC for like 3$ on ebay. I also have 2 SL7AE.

I'll believe the SL7ZC will do better do to the higher FSB and clock speed. I'll find out.
I'll probably stick with the SL7ZC do the lower cost, if one died I can replace it much easier.

EDIT:
looking at benchmarks the Irwindale at 3.6ghz is abit faster then the Gallatin at 3.2ghz.

Reply 45 of 83, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice, looks like a beast. Looking forward to seeing some benchmarks. My PC-DL build turned into a massive case resto. I'll make a thread when I get some time today. 😉

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 46 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Well this sucks. the heat sink mounts I have will not work with the ncch-dl as it hits the leads on the VRM's. I cant mount the heatsink to the case as the cpu's don't line up with the holes in the case.

that just gives me more work....
I'll probably just drill holes in the case or cut the back plate mounts. maybe both 😀

Reply 47 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Well that's fricking 2 for 2. The cnnh-dl is junk too.
It kind of works. It will try to post but crash in the bios... I need to stop buying cheap boards from e waist sites...

Well I bought a Asus NCT-D and this one better work.

I'll have to get new ram and a pci- gpu.
I'll list the 6800 ultra on eBay and the ram too. If they don't sell I. A week there get trashed.

Reply 49 of 83, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That sucks getting bad parts!
I got 3 different socket M boards from the same seller and no one works more than 30-60 seconds before rebooting. I suppose the sellers just plug them in for some seconds to see if they just get a picture and thinks they are ok. I tried different PSUs, CPUs and ram with no luck 😵

Reply 50 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Scraphoarder wrote:

That sucks getting bad parts!
I got 3 different socket M boards from the same seller and no one works more than 30-60 seconds before rebooting. I suppose the sellers just plug them in for some seconds to see if they just get a picture and thinks they are ok. I tried different PSUs, CPUs and ram with no luck 😵

That's basically what my board is doing.

Reply 51 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Got the new mobo today and oldy a previous owner hot glued the front panel and usb headers cables in place at one point. That's about odd.

Reply 52 of 83, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ugh, I HATE hot-glue (or "hot snot" as EEVBlog guy calls it) cable fastening. Huge pet peeve of mine. I've seen that tons of times from "professional" PC builder shops - drives me mad.

Not as much as I hate sticky duct-tape residue though.

Reply 53 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Getting there.
I'm now using stock heatsinks. They looked like they would do better and there u3 and not u2 thay have better mounting and surface too. Fans are ok, but I may make a custom mount for 80mm fans.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-09-16, 13:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 54 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

when I set out to build this system I did not think It would take anywhere this long. it's been about a month since I decided to build it.
Nor did I think I would end up with such a powerful system.

I should get the ram and 7800gtx today.

Reply 55 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Well that's just grate! A part I bought is bad. I don't know what yet.

I get a post beep of one long two short and a post code of 31.
Could be the gpu or the ram. I bought different ram and a second gpu to test the system.

Reply 56 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Finley I got the system up and going. Runs uber hot! That netBurst for you. But the hardware can handle it. Even the ram gets hot. Big difference from the piii and over systems I been working with for the last few years.