The 604 overkill build!

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Here is a quick photo to hold you guys over. :lol
The chipset mount was missing a hold down mount so I soldered a new on one. (The white one)

Reply 21 of 83, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

oh lord...

my very first foray into watercooling was a 478 P4. I tried to attach a waterblock to those damned loops and pulled two out while the system was running. killed the board. Thankfully I mad up a sob story to comp-usa and they replaced my board.

2nd board I reduced the tension on the chipset springs and I was good to go from there.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 23 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I ordered some Coollaboratory Liquid Copper, new Thermal Padding for the vrm sinks and 6800 along with a round IDE cable for the build.

I'm not going over kill here am I?

EDIT:
512'th post.

Reply 24 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

UPDATE:

I did not get the heat sinks. only cheapo fans 😵 Filed paypal case and will most likely have to buy heat sinks else were. I bought 2 3.2ghz 2m 533fsb Xeon's, but they have yet to ship. I got 2 800fsb one's for like 2$. I have read that with the newest bios the older 800fsb Xeon's will work.

Reply 27 of 83, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Know your going with server but if it was me I'd go turn it into a sexy WinXP build. Certain bragging rights with maxing out the OS's socket count.
Is a very nice build though

Reply 28 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I'm not a big fan of XP nor do I own a copy.
I'll be running 2k pro and centOS in a VM on the system. If Vbox 1.5.3 plays well with centOS 6. If not I may go the other way around. but I don't know how well old games will pay in a VM. I'll find out.

Reply 31 of 83, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2K still gives you Maxed out socket bragging rights 😀
Its actually my preferred OS for 9x gaming, Need for Speed being my only games that don't like it
And yes round IDE cables are looking sexy 2!

Reply 32 of 83, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Server versions of 2k allow for 32 processor (core) systems if memory serves. For all intents and purposes, the shell of 2000 is the same between all versions. Most anti virus software will NOT run on servers versions, but this was intentional as those companies wanted to price gouge you.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 34 of 83, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

Server versions of 2k allow for 32 processor (core) systems if memory serves. For all intents and purposes, the shell of 2000 is the same between all versions. Most anti virus software will NOT run on servers versions, but this was intentional as those companies wanted to price gouge you.

It's easy to remove the limit from a 2k install CD, a bit harder from an already installed system. I did this to allow Windows 2000 Professional to run on the 4 CPUs of my Visual Workstation. SGI required you to do an upgrade of a 4 CPU limited Windows NT 4.0 Workstation install to 2000 to preserve the CPU limit, but since I couldn't get my hands on the original recovery CDs I've figured out how to do this on a clean install.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 35 of 83, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hope you got a SMP kernel for centos otherwise it would feel like a waste 😁
oh wait, you will be running winxp and have centos into a vm... guess you'll be using virtual pc then ? or maybe vmware workstation, or virtualbox, what is it ?

Reply 36 of 83, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GL1zdA wrote:
luckybob wrote:

It's easy to remove the limit from a 2k install CD, a bit harder from an already installed system. I did this to allow Windows 2000 Professional to run on the 4 CPUs of my Visual Workstation. SGI required you to do an upgrade of a 4 CPU limited Windows NT 4.0 Workstation install to 2000 to preserve the CPU limit, but since I couldn't get my hands on the original recovery CDs I've figured out how to do this on a clean install.

I still got the original recovery CD's for my 320... somewhere. iirc It was just vanilla NT 4 workstation on one CD (Red I think) and the cobalt drivers on the other (yellow, same as what was downloaded from sgi website at the time). I then used any generic W2K Pro installation CD with no problems on the 320, and towards the end also had W2K advanced server for no particular reason. Both worked out of the box on the 320 since they both have the correct HAL and there was no noticeable difference (a few extra scheduling/server management tools etc) so I stuck with advanced server on the 320.

I was planning to put W2K advanced server on a 540 that I have recently acquired. The recovery CD's shipped were for both Cobalt machines if memory serves, but this does raise a little issue. Was this NT version a special NT workstation version with 4 CPU support? I thought NT server was the only pre-2K that supported more than two CPU's. And only 4.0 at that, not 3.5?

I'm hoping W2K advanced server will work with 4-CPU 540 out of the box... Gonna be a right pain in the Equus africanus asinus if I have to install that estranged NT version and then upgrade o.0

Reply 37 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
ElBrunzy wrote:

hope you got a SMP kernel for centos otherwise it would feel like a waste 😁
oh wait, you will be running winxp and have centos into a vm... guess you'll be using virtual pc then ? or maybe vmware workstation, or virtualbox, what is it ?

IM NOT RUNNING XP ON ANYTHING. I hate xp, to much blote and crap I don't like...

And yes I have a smp version of cent os. But I probably just set up vbox to use one cpu.

Reply 38 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

The 3.6ghz xeon's and ncch-dl have shiped. I'll get the CPUs this weekend and hopefully the mobo too.

I been without a PC since I started this build. So yeah, I'd like to have it done.