VOGONS

First post, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys. I wanted to present my completed 12MHz 286 build. It's a Deskframe 286-12 with an AMD 286 CPU soldered onto an unidentified board. It has a Headland Chipset and 1MB of ram. Unfortunately it doesn't have any simm modules, but I could remove the SIP modules and solder SIMMs on since they are pin-compatible.

jbrVzgxl.jpg

3DpfRWEl.jpg

drCuGmyl.jpg

For video I used a late '88 Paradise PVGA1A-JK card - it has better output quality on LCD monitors, even tough it isn't particularly fast. All games I tried on it work perfectly, from Lode Runner to Dyna blaster and Gods.

For sound I'm using my trusty CT2600 Sound Blaster PRO 2.0.

RtDuUTXl.jpg

IDE, FDD and communication ports are provided by an UMC multi I/O card that came with the motherboard - it's been pretty painless so far.

p3Z5X16l.jpg

The HDD is a 540 MB WD Caviar - sufficient for what the machine will hold.

I also installed 3.5" and 5,25" FDD, witch were a bit of a pain to get working together. In fact they would only run together using the pictured UMC controller and nothing else...

The machine also has an 8x CD-ROM drive. It's the only way to get larger files on the machine w/o pulling the HDD, and it's useful for games like Space Quest and Monkey Island.

rIbuFrel.jpg GkrxdiKl.jpg

33cmFP3l.jpg RQFX1xMl.jpg

Can you guys recommend games and benchmarks for it? How much ram would it need to run windows 3.1, and does it support TCP/IP and File Sharing? If not, is there any DOS software witch can manage TCP/IP and file sharing over a windows network that will run on a 286 CPU?

Last edited by kanecvr on 2016-08-29, 20:56. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:

Can you guys recommend games and benchmarks for it? How much ram would it need to run windows 3.1, and does it support TCP/IP and File Sharing? If not, is there any DOS software witch can manage TCP/IP and file sharing over a windows network that will run on a 286 CPU?

Nice build! Like the case!

For TCP/IP for DOS and file transfers you can use MTCP.
http://www.brutman.com/mTCP/

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 7, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
Nice build! Like the case! […]
Show full quote
kanecvr wrote:

Nice build! Like the case!

For TCP/IP for DOS and file transfers you can use MTCP.
http://www.brutman.com/mTCP/

Thanks, I'm looking into it 😀

Reply 3 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sweet system! Is that an AT keyboard connector in the front? What exactly is a Highscreen 286? I've read up a bit and it seems to be a high performance 286, but is it the motherboard that is a Highscreen brand?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 7, by Ekb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Congratulation! 😀

"Can you guys recommend games and benchmarks for it?"

for more benchmark: Performance comparison of CPU: 286-25 vs 386DX-25 vs 386SX-25

click to "download".

Reply 5 of 7, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Sweet system! Is that an AT keyboard connector in the front?

The connector up front routs 5 pin DIN from the back, and it can be used either for the Keyboard (witch is what I'm using it for) or for MIDI using a DB15 to 5DIN adapter.

clueless1 wrote:

What exactly is a Highscreen 286? I've read up a bit and it seems to be a high performance 286, but is it the motherboard that is a Highscreen brand?

I made a mistake - it's not a Vobis Highscreen, it's a Deskframe machine - somehow I got them mixed up. Vobis is a german PC company - kind of like dell and Compaq but a lot smaller. The Romanian market was flooded with their machines in the early 90's so most of the 386 and 486 machines you can find here are either big OEM (IBM, Compaq, etc) or smaller boutique builds like Vobis systems. They sold systems labeled as "highscreen" - I actually own a Highscreen 386 DX-40 - really fast system - just adding some finishing touches to it.

As I was saying, this 286 is a Deskframe - witch if I'm not mistaking is a generic name for a certain type of workstation - one that has certain specs and abilities - more here

https://www.questia.com/magazine/1G1-7941411/ … or-the-nineties

and here

https://books.google.ro/books?id=phxlBt4dX3oC … omputer&f=false

The 286 mainboard was (supposedly) originally installed in this case witch I got from a middle-aged guy in trade. He gave me the case witch contained an early Asus 486-ISA mainboard (30-pin simm, 33Mhz 486dx, 1GB SCSI Toshiba HDD, Adaptec SCSI card and a 1MB ISA WDC Paradise video card) witch the computer was upgraded form a 286 to a 486 with in the early 90's. He also said the case originally came with this exact 286 motherboard, a CGA video card and that exact multi I/O card, so it's possible the board is original to the case. Of course I had to ask if he still had the original parts - witch is when he pulled out the 286 board and I/O card. He could not remember where the rest of the parts were all he could remember is that the HDD went bad, that it was made by Conner, and the video card was a big-ass 8 bit isa colour CGA card. On the back there's a damaged sticker listing 1Mb of ram, a 10base-T NIC and a 160MB HDD - and I highly doubt the 486 came with 1mb of ram. The sticker also reads "Made in Canada".

I can't seem to find any info on this board apart from the "LM-103S" in between the ISA slots - witch doesn't reveal a manufacturer when googled.

I have another nearly identical case (sans the frontal DIN connector) witch has the same Deskframe sticker, only it reads "Deskframe 386". That came with a 386/486 combo board with an Eteq / Siemens branded chipset, a 33Mhz 486DX installed alongside a soldered, disabled by jumpers 386DX, and a Cirrus Logic ISA video card. Unfortunately the mainboard blew up when I turned it on (and after careful inspection and cleaning to boot) - shame.

Ekb wrote:
Congratulation! :) […]
Show full quote

Congratulation! 😀

"Can you guys recommend games and benchmarks for it?"

for more benchmark: Performance comparison of CPU: 286-25 vs 386DX-25 vs 386SX-25

click to "download".

Thanks, I'll try it out and post some results.

Last edited by kanecvr on 2016-08-29, 23:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 7, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Brickpad wrote:

I've got that same exact case that came with a 286-12 as well! Really like that design.

yeah, I like them alot. We had them in our School's IT lab - mostly 386 machines. Some were upgraded to 486's later on. I remember struggling to play starcraft on a DX-100 😜