VOGONS

First post, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys!
Nice retro PC discussion board, really like it!

I have few retro systems working, one that I put together back in 2006 is still rocking today:

*Asus P3B-F
*Pentium III-S 1.4 GHz CPU with Asus S370-L (modded it to accept Tualatin)
*4*256 MB PC133 SDRAM
*3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 AGP card (runs perfectly stable at 89 MHZ AGP bus).
*40 GB IDE HDD (some Maxtor), loaded with 98SE
*SB Live! with LiveDrive II (I use digital I/O all the time for gaming with my Marshall Stanmore speaker, works great with optical cable)
*NEC USB 2.0 PCI card

I have some more systems, most notably Asus P/I-55TP4XE that runs 233 MHZ MMX CPU, 128 MB RAM (4*32 MB EDO), Creative DXR2 DVD decoder card, Voodoo 3 2000 PCI, 3Com 515 10/100 ISA card etc). I have 266 MHz Pentium MMX CPU too (Tillamook core) but I cannot get the 4x multiplier from the board.

Attachments

• IMG_3425.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_3425.JPG
    File size
    186.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_3424.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_3424.JPG
    File size
    153.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Paadam on 2016-09-11, 15:07. Edited 3 times in total.

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 1 of 7, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice build!

I like the black paintjob inside the case, really slick. Would look pretty nice with a lexan/plexiglass sheet in place of the side panel.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 2 of 7, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is black from the factory. Otherwise nice case but I don't like the PSU placement (directly near CPU instead of above it like on normal ATX cases). But I scored two IBM eServer cases, very sturdy and nice, will probably swap the machine over.

Reply 3 of 7, by Robert B

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A friend of mine had a case with the same black interior, around 1999+-, a VIA MVP3, S3 Trio 3D 4MB, K6-2 333MHz with the 66MHz bus, (crappy chip 😁, back then I had a Celeron 366A+440BX MSI, and a Vanta 8MB AGP 😁). Later on he bought a 30GB WD300BB 😁. He gave me the case in 2002 or so. Now I'm pissed I tossed it into the garbage bin. It was really sturdy. I stood on it and it barely bent....again I was young and foolish 😁

Reply 4 of 7, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some more retro I have: Asus P/I-55TP4XE with 233 MMX (officially not supported, but works), 128 MB EDO, 30 GB HDD, DVD-ROM, Creative DXR2 DVD decoder card, SoundBlaster AWE64 ISA, 3Com 515 10/100 Etherlink ISA and Voodoo3 2000 PCI flashed to 3000. Cleaned it up a bit and my 9year old son was caugut by Need For Speed II SE 😀 I have had this computer since 1999 though with changes of course, only system board and case are original. Sadly the numberic display does not show above 166 MHz, tried every jumper configuration there is. I also have Pentium 266 MHz MMX (Tillamook) but due to not having 4x multiplier available it only works at 233 MHz so no piint keeping it there (multis were unlocked to lower side, 🤣). Case is like AT version of BTX having everything upside down but I really like the case, very sturdy and kind of cool.

Planning to replace the V3 with Banshee PCI since V3 is overkill here and I cannot utilise its full potential. Will put it onto my Intel STL2 dual PIII 1 GHz build.

Attachments

• MMX_6.jpg
    Filename
    MMX_6.jpg
    File size
    250.41 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • MMX_4.jpg
    Filename
    MMX_4.jpg
    File size
    191.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • MMX_3.jpg
    Filename
    MMX_3.jpg
    File size
    119.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • MMX_2.jpg
    Filename
    MMX_2.jpg
    File size
    170.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • MMX_1.jpg
    Filename
    MMX_1.jpg
    File size
    208.91 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 5 of 7, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's some more. A quite rare Asus P2B-n (NLX format) with original case. Has IR, front USB, front volume control etc. Slim optical drive (I put laptop DVD-RW drive there). Runs 650 MHz PIII right now (had to tape pins to give 1.8v, VRM is old style), but had 1.4 GHz Celeron with Powerleap adapter once there. 512 MB RAM (only 2 slots present) and onboard 8MB Ati Rage Pro Turbo AGP with TV board connector. Since I had Ati TV ISA card, I put it there. Analog TV tuner is pretty useless nowadays (we don't have any analog terrestrial TV anymore) but ~10 years ago I used it as a TV for a month or so when old TV broke down and new hasn't arrived yet.
Notu sure whether to repaint it black or sodablast the black off and get the original beige back.

I decided to put my Pentium III-S 1.4 GHz Asus P3B-F board with Voodoo 5 5500 AGP to IBM eServer case I got, it surely deserves it 😀

And last but not least, my latest build: Intel SAI2 dual Tualatin 1.4 GHz PIII-S build with 4*512 MB SDRAM, Creative Voodoo2 SLI 24MB, Creative Soundblaster Audigy (with Audigy Drive) and 160 GB HDD. Case is lately aquired AOpen HX08. I am looking for some PCI graphics card for it, in the like of FX5200-6200 to give it some hardware T&L capability. I have Radeon HD2400 PRO PCI but that uses the PSIe-PCI bridge and while it booted up fine computer seemed to stop responding. That may have cause by another issue too since I ran old XP install for first boot but will investigate it further.
V2 SLI works quite well with XP and Koolsmoky drivers (all others gave me MapMem error) but performance seems not too fast... Will make some benchmarks later.

Attachments

• P2B_N_1.jpg
    Filename
    P2B_N_1.jpg
    File size
    159.92 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • P2B_N_2.jpg
    Filename
    P2B_N_2.jpg
    File size
    177.04 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • PIIIS_1.jpg
    Filename
    PIIIS_1.jpg
    File size
    255.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • PIIIS_2.jpg
    Filename
    PIIIS_2.jpg
    File size
    224.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • SAI2.jpg
    Filename
    SAI2.jpg
    File size
    171.97 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 6 of 7, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Paadam wrote:
Here's some more. A quite rare Asus P2B-n (NLX format) with original case. Has IR, front USB, front volume control etc. Slim opt […]
Show full quote

Here's some more. A quite rare Asus P2B-n (NLX format) with original case. Has IR, front USB, front volume control etc. Slim optical drive (I put laptop DVD-RW drive there). Runs 650 MHz PIII right now (had to tape pins to give 1.8v, VRM is old style), but had 1.4 GHz Celeron with Powerleap adapter once there. 512 MB RAM (only 2 slots present) and onboard 8MB Ati Rage Pro Turbo AGP with TV board connector. Since I had Ati TV ISA card, I put it there. Analog TV tuner is pretty useless nowadays (we don't have any analog terrestrial TV anymore) but ~10 years ago I used it as a TV for a month or so when old TV broke down and new hasn't arrived yet.
Notu sure whether to repaint it black or sodablast the black off and get the original beige back.

I decided to put my Pentium III-S 1.4 GHz Asus P3B-F board with Voodoo 5 5500 AGP to IBM eServer case I got, it surely deserves it 😀

And last but not least, my latest build: Intel SAI2 dual Tualatin 1.4 GHz PIII-S build with 4*512 MB SDRAM, Creative Voodoo2 SLI 24MB, Creative Soundblaster Audigy (with Audigy Drive) and 160 GB HDD. Case is lately aquired AOpen HX08. I am looking for some PCI graphics card for it, in the like of FX5200-6200 to give it some hardware T&L capability. I have Radeon HD2400 PRO PCI but that uses the PSIe-PCI bridge and while it booted up fine computer seemed to stop responding. That may have cause by another issue too since I ran old XP install for first boot but will investigate it further.
V2 SLI works quite well with XP and Koolsmoky drivers (all others gave me MapMem error) but performance seems not too fast... Will make some benchmarks later.

I have an IBM sServer Xseries 220 which uses the same case, but it a dual Tualatin server (still with the original hardware), also it has a black Pentium III sticker instead of the Pentium 4 sticker on yours

Intel%20Pentium%203%2016%20x%2019mm%20Black%20WEB.jpg

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 7 of 7, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I didn't get to choose from, there were only two P4 cases with PSU's so I took them both. I already scraped the decals off, maybe someday I will put Pentium III sticker on them 😀 I gotboth of them for 10 euros total so I did not bargain too much 😀