VOGONS

First post, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am not a biggest fan of Netburst architecture but got MSI MS-9121 system board for 5 euros that originally came from IBM Intellistation Z Pro and since I already had IBM eServer case, I thought I'd give it a go. All the IBM proprietary front panel connectors were plug and play with the case.
Board needed a recap (11 of the caps were bulged, none of them were CPU supply ones) and even then the board POSTed up nicely. I also got 2x Xeon 3.06 GHz (512kb L2, 1MB L3) and 4x 1GB RAM with it plus a pair of beefy copper Xeon heatsinks.

Originally the board had Ati RageXL 8MB video in its miniPCI slot but I removed that and put Intel 2915ABG wireless card in it. Fortunately there was no wihtelist or something like it is on Thinkpads (and other brand laptopts) and the computer is really usable with this. Used 7600GT AGP with Zalman copper cooler, 3DMark2001SE was ~18300 points. Running WinXP.

I will get some tested 73GB SCSI drives soon and will replace the ATA drive in it. Also found Aureal Vortex 2 that will replace the crappy onboard audio. Already found a pair of nice and quiet Arctic Cooling fans for CPU's, at the moment there are some random ones. After all that it's cable management time 😀

Attachments

• IMG_3684.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_3684.JPG
    File size
    248.76 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 2 of 14, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SWEET! I always enjoy dualies.

I really need to take pictures of my dual 604 setup now. What with all the recent interest.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 14, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
luckybob wrote:

I really need to take pictures of my dual 604 setup now. What with all the recent interest.

And there goes the unique factor... I guess I'm a trend setter?

Don't know? I guess since mine has a fx1800 pci-e and win2k it's pretty unique still.

Reply 4 of 14, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was running dual cpu setups before it was cool.

*does hipster impression*

Hell, the ncch-dl and nct-d were my main systems "in the day". Both boards let me make the agp / pci-e transfer relatively painless.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 5 of 14, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
luckybob wrote:

I was running dual cpu setups before it was cool.

*does hipster impression*

Hell, the ncch-dl and nct-d were my main systems "in the day". Both boards let me make the agp / pci-e transfer relatively painless.

We all here know your the king of duals
I was referring to the recent slew of 604 stuff being discussed. If I'm not mistaken I was to first to recently put one together.

Reply 6 of 14, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

Don't know? I guess since mine has a fx1800 pci-e and win2k it's pretty unique still.

Heh, I' planning to make s604 build as well 😈 Although it should be somewhat different from other 604 machines here.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 7 of 14, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As I mentioned earlier I got ~18300 points in 3DMark2001SE with this rig. I also put together Asus P4P800 SE with CT-470 adapter and Pentium M750 running at 12x200 (2.4 GHz), same Club3D 7600 AGP as Xeon rig (I have two), 2GB RAM and used the same set of drivers for 7600 GT and got 22400 points. Quite a big difference. Though the Xeon is more snappy in regular usage, I use it as a main machine in my workshop usually with 10+ windows open (browser, pdf, folders etc).

Reply 8 of 14, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Paadam wrote:

As I mentioned earlier I got ~18300 points in 3DMark2001SE with this rig. I also put together Asus P4P800 SE with CT-470 adapter and Pentium M750 running at 12x200 (2.4 GHz), same Club3D 7600 AGP as Xeon rig (I have two), 2GB RAM and used the same set of drivers for 7600 GT and got 22400 points. Quite a big difference. Though the Xeon is more snappy in regular usage, I use it as a main machine in my workshop usually with 10+ windows open (browser, pdf, folders etc).

Disable HT and try 3dmark again.

havli wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

Heh, I' planning to make s604 build as well 😈 Although it should be somewhat different from other 604 machines here.

Well hot damn 🤣 that's makes what now? 5 sk604 system in the last month here?

Reply 11 of 14, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Iv had a 604 setup ready to get setup for over a month now. Keep going back and forth between it and a super fast 478 machine. They are both 80% done and just need dinal touches 😀

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 12 of 14, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Disabled HT and ran the test, at least with my 3.06 CPU's I got less, 17100 points. But I got few sets of 3.6 and 3.8 GHz CPUs (with 800 FSB), will test if I get those running at 533 FSB, but better cache.

Reply 13 of 14, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried a pair of 3.6 GHz 2MB 800 FSB chips but no dice. I have the latest BIOS too. Maybe the chips were faulty, don't know, got them for free.