VOGONS

Topic actions

First post, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Last edited by kithylin on 2017-12-13, 21:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 24, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice, now that isn't something you see very day 😀

I like that you keep it vanilla. Are you using two 256 MB memory sticks in dual channel?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kithylin wrote:

I aimed to find the fastest hardware that would run "Vanilla Win98se", that is pop in OEM CD-ROM, install, load drivers, go.

Fun's fun, but doesn't "Vanilla Win98se" run into serious problems at clock speeds well below what would require water cooling..?

Reply 3 of 24, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:
kithylin wrote:

I aimed to find the fastest hardware that would run "Vanilla Win98se", that is pop in OEM CD-ROM, install, load drivers, go.

Fun's fun, but doesn't "Vanilla Win98se" run into serious problems at clock speeds well below what would require water cooling..?

Does it?

The fastest system I had Vanilla running on was an Athlon 64 3700+. No slouch, but no match for a Core 2 Duo. I didn't encounter any issues.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hm. Looks like the CPU speed limit problem was actually fixed specifically in 98SE, but not earlier.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/312108

I reckon it's not at all unlikely that there might be some third-party driver with a bug no one ever bothered to fix, but who knows.

Reply 10 of 24, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

Well I found a listing tonight for X6800 unlocked core2duo chips for $23 free shipping on ebay from a USA seller.. guess I'll order one in a couple days and go ahead and take this win98 water system from "Crazy" to "Nucking Futs" and laugh at it later this next week 😁

If you want even crazier than nucking futs, you could always check if the mobo is socket 771 modable and can handle 1333 MHz FSB. If so, get yourself a Xeon X5470. Also it might be a good idea make sure the mobo can handle a TDP of 120W, even though you won't make use of all four cores. The required hardware and BIOS mods are easy to perform, anyone can do it.

Running one of those in my XP rig. It benches to about half the values of my 3770k rig, quite nice to be an eight years old CPU 😁 The single core performance should be great too, especially overclocked, which they do extremely well. They're cheap aswell, paid less than $23 for it a few years ago, might be even cheaper now.

Here's a tutorial by the way.

Reply 13 of 24, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

C2E X6800 isn't the best OC'er.
I got mine to ~3,8GHz (barely), but he needed over 1,6V on Vcore to be stable (it was moderate hot, like OC'ed Prescott with minor Vcore change).
It was on Air, but I think the around 4,0GHz is max what is possible on water (with LN/Cascade you should be able to go "little" higher).

Also : I did "a thing" with my LGA 775 Win 98 SE capable board - LINK
Thought you might be interested 😀
It was moded a bit, but not much.

157143230295.png

Reply 19 of 24, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

Also you keep throwing that same screenshot around and I'm fairly sure I commented in the past that I thought you used some sort of "heavily modified" win98se kernel to get it working... I'm after vanilla win98 here.

Indeed it is moded, but you don't need to mod it to run it on this PC (just exchange RAM from 2x2GB to 2x256MB and GPU if you don't want it).
MB, LAN, Audigy 2 ZS - all use normal drivers.
+ I had to install vanilla Win 98SE on this PC BEFORE I could mod it 😉

PS. Last time you said :

...And no your mods aren't that "heavy" but still push it a good bit out of where it should be..

157143230295.png