VOGONS

First post, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I know, BX-based systems are popular for the P2/P3 era, but I wanted to go slightly newer, while still saying pre-NetBurst. First are the "fixed parts," the ones that I'll rarely, if ever, change. Then are the "variables," ones I might swap in and out.

So, the parts I have, or have on their way:
Asus P3B-L - Slot 1, Intel 820 chipset, 2 RAMBUS slots, UDMA/66 ATA, 1 AGP 4x Pro, (dual voltage) 5 PCI, 1 ISA, onboard Intel 82559 LAN, no onboard sound. (One of the few 820 boards with an ISA slot, and onboard LAN. Was also available with onboard SCSI, but I couldn't find the "both LAN and SCSI" model, so I went with the LAN-only model. They also made a "no onboard peripherals" model I didn't bother with, and even the ISA slot was optional.)
Asus S370-133 slotket adapter (for when I want to use a S370, which my default will be.)
Asus DIMM Riser - the rare one, a riser that plugs in to a RAMBUS slot, has an MTH on the riser, and two PC-100 DIMM slots (for if I feel like using SDRAM.)
2 x 512 MB PC-800 RIMMs (this will be my default memory for it, also have two 512 MB PC-133 DIMMs.) -- Yes, I've always been fascinated with RAMBUS - the actual technology was solid, it was corporate goofiness on their part, which exasperated price problems.
2 GB "industrial" ATA SSD (the small kind that plugs directly into the ATA port on the motherboard.) Also have plenty of spinning 3.5" hard drives if I care to install one.)
Generic ATAPI DVD-ROM drive
Teac dual-drive combo 3.5"/5.25" drive. (The Asus P3B is one of the few 820 chipset boards that supports two floppy drives.)

Processors:
Slot-1 Katmai Pentium III 600 (100 MHz bus.)
Slot-1 Coppermine Pentium III 600EB (133 Mhz bus.)
Slot-1 Coppermine Pentium III 733 MHz
Socket 370 Coppermine Pentium III 850 (100 MHz bus.)
Socket 370 Coppermine Pentium III 1000 (133 MHz bus.)
Socket 370 Tualatin Pentium III-S 1.4 (133 MHz bus, with Tualatin socket adapter.) - this will be my default CPU.

Video cards:
Intel i740 (the 'original' AGP video card.)
Radeon All-In-Wonder (yup, the original pre-numbering Radeon, 32 MB DDR, with TV tuner and video in/out, I've owned this since it was brand new, and it was my primary video card for years.)
nVidia GeForce 256
Voodoo 3 3500 (again, with TV tuner and video/in out, complete with giant ugly dongle.)
Voodoo 5 5500 (this will probably be my "default" video card.)
FireGL of some kind I can't recall - my only actual AGP Pro video card.
Radeon Pro 9500 (for when I get a bee in my bonnet and try to run Windows 10 on it.)
Quantum Obsidian X-24 (dual Voodoo 2 PCI accelerator with 12 MB RAM per GPU.)

Sound cards:
Sound Blaster Pro 2.0
Sound Blaster 16 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE32 ISA (probably my default.)
Windows Sound System ISA (you know, for giggles.)

Really want to get a GUS, but those are ridiculously expensive.

Not sure what else I want to throw in it... Any suggestions? Probably an LS-120 drive, since I have a few of those, and this board can use it as a "drive A:" floppy drive and a "drive D:" high-capacity removable drive. (I have one ATAPI drive, two USB drives, and one PowerBook G3 drive-bay drive.)

Reply 3 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Might be interesting, particularly with the MTH. The i820 was legendary, if only for all the wrong reasons.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 13, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You'll need more than a radeon 9500 if you want to try 10, you'd need an HD3850/HD3650/HD4650 AGP card to have drivers for 10 and those would be the Windows 8.0 drivers.

Nvidia has 10 drivers for G80 and up, AMD for HD5000 and up.

Reply 5 of 13, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah, yes. Sadly, I think the 9500 is my newest AGP card.

Double-checking, I have a generic-OEM Radeon 9600SE 64MB, a 9500 Pro 128MB, and a GeForce 4 4200Ti 128MB as my latest-generation AGP cards.

Ironically, I have a newer-generation PCI card I bought as an upgrade for an AGP-less system a while ago - a Radeon X1550 256 MB. Anyone know if Vista drivers work in 10?

Edit: Okay, found a cheap ($30) Radeon HD 4650 AGP on eBay (almost every other 4000-series AGP card was well over $100,) so splurged and got it.

Also out of morbid curiosity, here's my complete list of VGA video cards sitting in my 'parts cabinet" at the moment: (So this ignores my EGA, CGA, and mono cards, of which I have a few.)

ISA:
Oak Technologky "OTIVGA" with both DE-9 and DE-15HD (EGA and VGA) ports.
Trident TVGA 8900CL-B (all RAM sockets full, but not sure of capacity.)
Trident TVGA 8900D-R 1M RAM
Cirrus Logic CL-GD5420-75QC-C, half RAM sockets full. Marked "OCTEK AVGA-20"
Colorgraphics "Super Warp 2" dual Tseng Labs ET4000/W32i with dual VGA ports!

PCI:
STB Lightspeed 128, Tseng ET6000
Matrox Millennium 2 MB
Matrox Millennium II 4 MB
Diamond-branded ATI X1550 256 MB (It's branded "X1550PRO", but I can't find any reference to there being an actual "PRO" version of that GPU, or what the difference might be.

AGP:
3dfx Voodoo 3 3500TV - with breakout cable. (Can't plug any display in without the breakout cable.)
3dfx Voodoo 5 5500
nVidia Quadrom2 MXR
nVidia GeForce 4 4200Ti 128 MB
ATI Radeon All-in-Wonder 32 MB - has standard DVI-I port, but high-density mini-DIN port for video in/out, I have the breakout cable.
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro 128 MB
ATI Radeon 9600SE 64 MB

The 3dfx cards are AGP 3v only, the nVidias, and the first two Radeons are universal, the Radeon 9600SE is 1.8v only.

And, damn, I thought I had an Intel i740 board and a GeForce 256 around somewhere... Must be in machines.

PCI Express:
GeForce 6200 - I actually have a few of these, they were "free with motherboard" on an early PCIe system I supported that didn't have onboard graphics as the default graphics card. As we built systems with better video cards, I grabbed a few that were destined for the recycler.
GeForce 7100GS
EVGA GeForce 750Ti-OC - Just pulled from my daughter's computer, the fan is on its last legs, choked with dust.

And those are just the "PC" video cards, I have a few Mac video cards, too. A pair of PCI Rage128 cards (66 MHz PCI! With DVD decoder daughtercards!) A pair of AGP (with custom Apple "power extension") pins Rage 128 Pro cards with the ADC connector (supplies power and USB to the display, hence the custom power pins.) These were pulled as better cards were put in (PCI Radeons in the PCI systems, AGP Radeons or GeForces in the AGP systems.)

And a Mac-firmware-flashed passively-cooled GeForce 6200LE that I keep meaning to put in my Power Mac G4 Cube. (The fastest passively-cooled video card that works in the G4 Cube.)

Reply 6 of 13, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And here are pics!

Not really a Pentium Pro
e1piWVO.jpg?1
Hasn't been a Pentium Pro in this chassis in years!
Teac FD-505 dual-floppy, 1.44 MB 3.5" and 1.2 MB 5.25" floppy drives in a single bay.
Generic DVD+/-RW drive
LS-120 drive (3.5", can use normal 1.44 MB disks or custom 120 MB disks.)

JnIKigX.jpg
Asus P3C-L motherboard - Intel 820 chipset, Slot-1 CPU (with slotket adapter right now,) two RAMBUS slots (one 512 MB RIMM at time of picture, also have the SDRAM riser card,) onboard Intel 82559 10/100 Ethernet, 4x AGP Pro, 5 Conventional PCI, 1 ISA. Onboard two-channel 100 MB/s ATA, floppy.
Intel Pentium III "Coppermine" 1 GHz at time of picture
Voodoo 5 5500 AGP, 64 MB video RAM
Sound Blaster 16 PnP ISA
Western Digital 20 GB ATA hard drive

EAGePqz.jpg
Pentium III-S 1.4 GHz "Tualatin" CPU on Asus slotket (Slot-1 to Socket 370) adapter.
Stock Intel S370 CPU cooler. (Picture taken from "just right" angle to see the label.)

Reply 7 of 13, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Absolutely awesome system, would probably put together something like it if I decide to build the retro rig of my dreams without a budget at some point. The mobo alone is worth killing for 😁

On a related note, you've made a small typo in the OP. P3B-L should be P3C-L 😀

Reply 8 of 13, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh man, I want that motherboard! It'd be interesting to see how it compares to a DDR based PIII board.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 9 of 13, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kaputnik wrote:

Ah, you are correct. It's confusing, because the version with LAN, SCSI, or both, is the P3C (-L, -S, or -LS,) where the version with neither is the P3B... The P3B is the exact same physical board, just guaranteed without LAN or SCSI. Very odd naming choice.

Reply 10 of 13, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Freak wrote:
kaputnik wrote:

Ah, you are correct. It's confusing, because the version with LAN, SCSI, or both, is the P3C (-L, -S, or -LS,) where the version with neither is the P3B... The P3B is the exact same physical board, just guaranteed without LAN or SCSI. Very odd naming choice.

I also believe in the power of the i820 chipset, but Jeez, there is no such thing as the ASUS P3B mainboard. However, there is an ASUS P3B-F mainboard which is based on a completely different chipset.

Good choice of parts, but It really depends on what do you actually want to achieve from this set up. In the mean time, GeForce3 Ti 500 would be the perfect match for the Pentium III 1.4 GHz CPU whether the Voodoo5 5500 would be the perfect match for the Pentium III 1GHz CPU. You could also build a few retro computers for a home LAN set up.

Reply 11 of 13, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Freak wrote:
kaputnik wrote:

You lost me halfways, but as previous poster mentions, the P3B series are 440BX boards. Your P3C board is a completely different story 😀

Reply 13 of 13, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Freak wrote:

Oh, jeez... Yeah. I see it now. My bad. 🤦

Hehe, shit happens 😀

Would be great if you could do some compatibility tests once you got it all up and running, interesting to see how the P3C compares to 440BX boards in that respect.

May I ask what you paid for the board aswell? Never even seen one for sale, but since I've already got the rest sorted (CPU, 2x256MB RIMM:s, etc) it's an easy decision if I find a good deal on it. Would be useful to have some kind of price reference.