VOGONS

First post, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Back in the late nineties i got a call from an former IT guy that had worked in a mining company that had shut down. He were hired to get out and wipe data from a HP3000 system and i was also asked if i could help to save this system and many old HP computers. We contacted the local museum and we rescued a lot of the equipment, but there was a lot left that were to be dumped. Myself i took home one HP 150 and one HP 150 II computers and som floppy stations and a printer.
The HP 150 Touchscreen (codename "Magic") from 1983 i didnt test, but i fired ut the HP 150 II and it worked. Put it in the basement and forgot it until now almost 20 years later..

The last afternoons i have taken it and a keyboard apart and fully cleaned it. Having a layer of iron ore dust and god knows outside and inside i put all parts in the shower and gived it a bath. Scrubbed it lightly and also took all plastic parts in the kitchensink with hot water and dishsoap. My wifed just smiled when i cleaned and scrubbed over hundred keys from the keyboard 😊

Dried all parts under the AC with heating for one day and put it toghether and here is the result of this "All in one" computer that had a pricetag of $2610 when it was released in 1985. My is from July 1985 and produced in Grenoble, France.

HP150ii_all.jpg
Filename
HP150ii_all.jpg
File size
1.58 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Scraphoarders HP 150 II nice and clean

Some pictures of details and parts.

HP150ii_frontleft.jpg
Filename
HP150ii_frontleft.jpg
File size
1.52 MiB
Views
File license

Standalone from left. Powerbutton is on the left under the 12" screen.

HP150ii_backclosed.jpg
Filename
HP150ii_backclosed.jpg
File size
1.77 MiB
Views
File license

Backside with cover on

HP150ii_backconnctions.jpg
Filename
HP150ii_backconnctions.jpg
File size
2.16 MiB
Views
File license

Backside with cower off exposing connections. A little blury..

HP150ii_backopen.jpg
Filename
HP150ii_backopen.jpg
File size
1.85 MiB
Views
File license

Inside exposed with motherboard halfway in and expansion slot tray lifted up
The motherboard has an AMD P8088-2 8mhz CPU and 256KB ram. The four expansion slots to the lower left can take a ram card and other cards.
There are two slots in the middle and in that to the right there is a card with part 45849-60004. Have no clue what its for but maybe its for graphics.

I will try powering it up later today after im sure everything are dry. Stay tuned for the result.

Last edited by Scraphoarder on 2016-10-05, 11:21. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some details of motherboard and other Cards.

HP150ii_45849-60011.jpg
Filename
HP150ii_45849-60011.jpg
File size
2.79 MiB
Views
File license

Motherboard HP 45849-60011

HP150ii_45849-60004.jpg
Filename
HP150ii_45849-60004.jpg
File size
2.84 MiB
Views
File license

Unknown card. Graphics? HP 45849-60004

HP150ii-memoryexpansion.jpg
Filename
HP150ii-memoryexpansion.jpg
File size
3.21 MiB
Views
File license

Memory expansion card. 384 KB ?

HP150ii_expansionslots.jpg
Filename
HP150ii_expansionslots.jpg
File size
2.31 MiB
Views
File license

Memory card installed in slot 1

Edit

HP150ii_poweron.jpg
Filename
HP150ii_poweron.jpg
File size
1.8 MiB
Views
File license

It powered on and attached a 9123 dual floppy drive. No boot from MS-Dos, so its either a bad floppy or drive. Will try open the drive case and inspect the drives later. Anyway i ran the built in System Test and other diagnostics with success.

Reply 3 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thats cool, any before photos? I can imagine it was absolutely filthy coming from a mining company AND sitting in storage for all those years, where as now it looks like its been loved all this time

Reply 5 of 5, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robert B wrote:

WOW! What an awesome system 😀

Yes indeed. Its awfully proprietary and the only standard component its the power cable, but its so cool that its excused. I just have to figure out how i can boot it. The system disk is on a single sided 360KB 3.5" floppy and i have two that also have a special HP MS-DOS 2 version and config tools, but i think they all are bad.

chinny22 wrote:

Thats cool, any before photos? I can imagine it was absolutely filthy coming from a mining company AND sitting in storage for all those years, where as now it looks like its been loved all this time

Sorry, i didnt take any before photos before the big clean. Used a cloth on it before i took it upstairs and disassemblied it and the washed all parts. The iron dust were very fine and dry so most of it came off quick, but some other gunk and glue from stickers i had to work with quite some time.

Mmaximus wrote:

Looks amazing - Well done for restoring it in such a pristine state.

A very nice example of a bygone era, when computers were made in Europe 😀

Thank you all 😀 Yes i like its made in Europe and i read yesterday that the idea for implementing a touchscreen on the first HP 150 released in 1983 came from HPs Grenoble engineers. That computer was groundbreaking with having touchscreen and one of the first using 3.5" floppies.