VOGONS

First post, by donhonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've starting building a machine to relive some games of my youth! Idea was to make something that would wreck anything 3D, and not care too much about DOS compatibility. Definitely not an original idea, but its fun!

Specs:
Asrock 775i65g R3.0
Intel Pentium E6800
256mb x 2 random sticks of RAM (2x1GB sticks are on the way)
BFG Geforce 6800 GS OC
Aureal Vortex 2 SQ2500
64gb SD Card + SD to IDE Adapter for Windows 98 Install
MISSING: Hard Drive for XP. Soon hopefully!
SONY DVD-ROM IDE Drive
This random weird beige case
SeaSonic SS-400ES Bronze 400W

Now unfortunately I'm pretty much an idiot so Ive had some issues.
First off, I think the videocard I got is totally cooked: http://i.imgur.com/pAXxvIC.jpg I cant install any Nvidia Drivers because it says it cant detect any Nvidia chips. It shows up in devices as "PCI VGA" even though its in an AGP Slot. Im assuming this videocard is just toast.
And as far as drivers, Im doing ok until I try getting the LAN working. Using the CD provided by ASRock, it basically fucks up my whole install. Ive reformatted now, so I dont even remember what the error was 🤣. Any tips from my very vague descriptions of what Im doing? Anyway beauty shots coming soon too.

Reply 1 of 8, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

About the "PCI VGA" - AGP is just an extension of PCI, so if it can't detect the chip properly (or you don't have the right drivers), it drops to "lowest common denominator" setting of "PCI VGA".

-- Stop reading here if you don't care about the technical aspects of AGP --

For the technical - AGP is a 66 MHz PCI slot, on a dedicated connection to the chipset, separate from the rest of the PCI bus, with "double data rate" (or higher in later versions,) and a few little extras that make it good for video cards.

But at its heart, it is perfectly standard PCI. Some server motherboards that used "workstation" chipsets even used the AGP connection as a separate PCI bus. Two I supported when I was at Intel were the L440GX and C440GX boards. The 440GX chipset was basically a beefed-up 440BX, complete with AGP bus. (The workstation MS440GX board had AGP.) But the server boards used that AGP connection to run 66 MHz PCI slots instead.

L440GX+-1.jpg

The top two PCI slots are run off the AGP bus - and operate at 66 MHz. They are connected via the dedicated AGP bus off the Northbridge.

The next PCI slot down (the extra long one) is a conventional 33 MHz PCI slot, but with the added extension of a custom Intel/Adaptec "ARO" port - special RAID cards would use that extension to add their RAID powers to the onboard (normally non-RAID) SCSI ports.

The next three PCI slots are plain old 33 MHz PCI, on the same PCI bus as the "ARO" PCI slot above them.

The dual-slot-2-Xeon C440GX was similar: img50809.jpg

The first generation of AGP was double-data-rate, meaning it sent two 'packets' of data for each clock cycle, which is why it is called "2X". It also made it transfer data at four times the speed of conventional 32-bit, 33 MHz PCI, rather than just 2x. (32-bit, 66 MHz, doubled.)

AGP 4x was quad-data-rate, so four packets of data per clock cycle. And AGP 8x was eight packets per clock cycle.

Reply 4 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Freak wrote:

Some server motherboards that used "workstation" chipsets even used the AGP connection as a separate PCI bus.

I never knew that, quite clever really as AGP is pretty wasted on a server.

Reply 5 of 8, by donhonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Freak wrote:

I was running the Windows 98 beta my final year of college...

Haha, I dont wish to cause any alarm! D:

Also, add a beige Realforce 87U to the build.... Oops, I went overboard. That said, its now my favorite keyboard.

Reply 6 of 8, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tips for Win 98 SE install :
Download ALL drivers from ASRock site BEFORE doing anything : LINK
Burn them to CD or DVD, copy to HDD beforehand, use floppy disk if you have to (at least for LAN).

For "VIA 4 in 1", I recommend downloading both the older (4.xx), and the newer (5.xx) versions (sometimes older works better, sometimes newer).

157143230295.png

Reply 7 of 8, by donhonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
agent_x007 wrote:
Tips for Win 98 SE install : Download ALL drivers from ASRock site BEFORE doing anything : LINK Burn them to CD or DVD, copy to […]
Show full quote

Tips for Win 98 SE install :
Download ALL drivers from ASRock site BEFORE doing anything : LINK
Burn them to CD or DVD, copy to HDD beforehand, use floppy disk if you have to (at least for LAN).

For "VIA 4 in 1", I recommend downloading both the older (4.xx), and the newer (5.xx) versions (sometimes older works better, sometimes newer).

This is a big help, thanks! Ill try it out.