My Retro build

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 39, by nanospark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:

No, but that isnt the point.

Also, if you decide to continue the heretic life, at least put a terminator in the 2nd slot.

But seriously, it looks awesome.

Sorry about my previous post. What does a terminator actually do? I looked up on Google "Slot 1 terminator" and I saw terminators with their own frequency, like this one:
http://www.pcandserverstore.com/Dell-100Mhz-S … 03E_p_1152.html

Does this mean anything?

Main PC: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate|i5 4690K|32GB DDR3L-1600|EVGA GT 730 1GB DDR3|Sound Blaster Z|Inland Professional 120GB SATA III SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX & 1 x 1TB WD Black WD1003FZEX|TSST DVD-RW|Win10 Pro x64

Too many retros to list!

Reply 21 of 39, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Honestly, I'm surprised it works without it.

EILI5: Dual cpu systems need both slots occupied. To not do so, can cause system instability. This is mostly an issue with slot 1/2 and socket 370 setups.

Thankfully these terminators are very cheap. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sac … =p2045573.m1684

That said, I think its so much cooler to have 2 cpus running. Get the S-spec off the top of cpu1 and get a 2nd. ^.^ (processors need to match)

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 22 of 39, by nanospark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:
Honestly, I'm surprised it works without it. […]
Show full quote

Honestly, I'm surprised it works without it.

EILI5: Dual cpu systems need both slots occupied. To not do so, can cause system instability. This is mostly an issue with slot 1/2 and socket 370 setups.

Thankfully these terminators are very cheap. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sac … =p2045573.m1684

That said, I think its so much cooler to have 2 cpus running. Get the S-spec off the top of cpu1 and get a 2nd. ^.^ (processors need to match)

That's interesting to know. I haven't experienced any system instability as of yet. In fact, the system runs great! I just don't see the need for it if the system already works and works well.

On a side note, I know that I had issues with the board before, but that was due to my own stupidity. I had all the system memory shadow options turned to "Cached".

20161018_191228.jpg
Filename
20161018_191228.jpg
File size
3.91 MiB
Views
File comment
What is now "Disabled" was previously set to "Cached" and I had problems with that.
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Main PC: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate|i5 4690K|32GB DDR3L-1600|EVGA GT 730 1GB DDR3|Sound Blaster Z|Inland Professional 120GB SATA III SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX & 1 x 1TB WD Black WD1003FZEX|TSST DVD-RW|Win10 Pro x64

Too many retros to list!

Reply 23 of 39, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, Intel SMP systems prior to i7 generation Xeons share the FSB which is why you need termination in the second slot or socket. Athlon MP systems can deactivate the bus of the missing CPU (although I've never tried this).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 24 of 39, by nanospark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

Well, Intel SMP systems prior to i7 generation Xeons share the FSB which is why you need termination in the second slot or socket. Athlon MP systems can deactivate the bus of the missing CPU (although I've never tried this).

Here's the interesting part...I don't have a terminator card in the second CPU slot and the system works just fine. There have not been any BSODs or hangs at all...even with the weird RAM amount. Should I worry about this or should I not try to fix something that's not broken?

Too many retros to list!

Reply 26 of 39, by nanospark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyway, setting aside that I'm running 1 CPU on a Dual CPU motherboard without a terminator card, how is the rest of the system otherwise?

Too many retros to list!

Reply 27 of 39, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nanospark wrote:

Here's the interesting part...I don't have a terminator card in the second CPU slot and the system works just fine. There have not been any BSODs or hangs at all...even with the weird RAM amount. Should I worry about this or should I not try to fix something that's not broken?

Likely a happy accident. In fact, it might not work with a CPU in the other slot and it's likely limited in terms of FSB performance potential.

Reply 28 of 39, by nanospark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
nanospark wrote:

Likely a happy accident. In fact, it might not work with a CPU in the other slot and it's likely limited in terms of FSB performance potential.

I'm actually not worried about it. All I know it that it works in MS-DOS and in Windows 98 without problems (and quite well, might I add).

Too many retros to list!

Reply 29 of 39, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nanospark wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

What we do here in general is, first, creating our own problems by trying to fix something that's not broken, and then trying to solve the newly created problem. This is what we call our hobby. So you should start fiddling with it as soon as possible. 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 30 of 39, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nanospark wrote:

I'm actually not worried about it. All I know it that it works in MS-DOS and in Windows 98 without problems (and quite well, might I add).

Fair enough. I'm just trying to make clear for other readers that proper termination is important and they shouldn't expect stability without. If it works without in your case then you're all set, but it's definitely not what your board manufacturer had in mind.

Reply 31 of 39, by nanospark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
nanospark wrote:

Fair enough. I'm just trying to make clear for other readers that proper termination is important and they shouldn't expect stability without. If it works without in your case then you're all set, but it's definitely not what your board manufacturer had in mind.

To be honest, I never knew that CPU terminators existed until I came to this forum. I knew that Rambus memory needs a terminator to function at all if you don't fill all the RAM slots...but that's another topic for another thread. Thankfully, I never had to work with Rambus either. 😜

Too many retros to list!

Reply 32 of 39, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nanospark wrote:

To be honest, I never knew that CPU terminators existed until I came to this forum. I knew that Rambus memory needs a terminator to function at all if you don't fill all the RAM slots...but that's another topic for another thread. Thankfully, I never had to work with Rambus either. 😜

It's like any other electrical communications line. If you don't match impedances, you get large attenuations and other large problems.

Last edited by gdjacobs on 2016-10-20, 05:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 33 of 39, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nanospark wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:
nanospark wrote:

1) You don't need two CPUs for DOS / Windows 98SE. It does not support SMP! The other CPU would never be used in that OS.
2) There is nothing wrong with using only one CPU in a dual CPU system. It is an option to save cost and have the possibility to upgrade in the future.
3) Having 1 or 2 cpus in a slot 1 system does not affect the performance of the FSB of the first CPU.

I would be just happy if it works 😀

Reply 34 of 39, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I agree, the CPU will not be used and the fact that it's missing will not affect performance so long as the bus has proper termination.

Reply 35 of 39, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

End of the day, your PC your choice.
My Asus duel slot 1 board happily works without the terminator. Hate how I know that as I had the original terminator all those years then lost it 3, 4 years ago.

BUT

Maybe not right away but do come join us in the SMP club, Win2k will play almost all you 9x games as well
Plus its where the real men hang out 😉

Reply 36 of 39, by nanospark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently I acquired a Pentium II 400MHz CPU (thanks oeurve for sending that to me! It is much appreciated! 😀 ). Unfortunately, I discovered that (due to chipset limitations) I can only run it at 333MHz with a 82.8MHz FSB. Also, I discovered that running PC133 RAM is pointless because of this limitation. I downgraded the RAM to PC100 with the same amount (320MB total). With that said, I have some CPU-Z screenshots to show off the specs:

CPU

CPU Specs.png
Filename
CPU Specs.png
File size
16.37 KiB
Views
File comment
Chipset limitations...
File license

Motherboard

Motherboard Specs.png
Filename
Motherboard Specs.png
File size
11.6 KiB
Views
File comment
Definitely a PII Motherboard
File license

RAM Slot 1

RAM slot 1.png
Filename
RAM slot 1.png
File size
12.54 KiB
Views
File comment
PC100 256MB...okay.
File license

RAM Slot 3

RAM slot 3.png
Filename
RAM slot 3.png
File size
12.68 KiB
Views
File comment
...wait...why a 32MB stick?
File license

RAM Slot 4

RAM slot 4.png
Filename
RAM slot 4.png
File size
12.69 KiB
Views
File comment
...another 32MB stick? That's where the 320MB comes from...
File license

Too many retros to list!

Reply 38 of 39, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really like that case. I've always been a lian-li fanboy sin the P4 era, but there are so many high-quality options now.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 39 of 39, by nanospark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As far as I'm concerned, I would call this system complete...unless anyone thinks I should upgrade the video card at some point and if so, what video card should I put in here?

Too many retros to list!