VOGONS

First post, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, in about 1995 my father won a computer in a contest and gave it to me. It was a UMC U5S 40MHz VLB system in a multimedia computer case with built-in speakers, sold by Neckermann (I think) in Germany. For those that don't know, the UMC U5S is essentially a 486SX, slightly faster clock-for-clock than the original. It was pretty clear they were clearing out old stock since a 486SX was already very underpowered for 1995.

In '96, I upgraded the computer to a Soyo 430VX board with AMD K5 100MHz, 16MB (later 32) EDO RAM and Elsa Winner 1000 graphics card. This was sold only a year later when I started my IT training to be replaced with a K6.

I've recently rebuilt the K5 stage as faithfully as I could - with help from elianda, from whom I got the exact same case I had.

Specs:
- ASI multimedia case with built-in speakers
- Soyo 82430VX mainboard, forgot the model name
- K5-PR166 (bit more power than the PR100 I had originally)
- 32 MB EDO RAM
- Elsa Winner 1000 - S3 Trio 64, 2MB
- Shuttle HOT-233, OPTi 929 based sound card. Real OPL3. With Dreamblaster S1 (had a really crappy wavetable board in the original computer)
- IBM 8GB IDE HDD (more space and more speed...)
- 4x CD-ROM
- CF to IDE adapter

6wt60DVl.jpg

GaXL05ol.jpg

AJO78UKl.jpg]

n53qj6pl.jpg

X3hgEyLl.jpg

xR29lBql.jpg

raYp09Tl.jpg

Reply 3 of 7, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're sure that's a 430VX? I know Soyo made a board that big,but it had the 430TX and was named Soyo SY-5TF.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 4 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Love the built-in speakers. So clean too! Great job, man.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 5 of 7, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote:

You're sure that's a 430VX? I know Soyo made a board that big,but it had the 430TX and was named Soyo SY-5TF.

Look at the 2nd picture. It is standard for Soyo that the model name is written at the bottom first ISA slot.

It's the Soyo 5VA2, and according to the manual's pdf which you can google, it has the 430VX.

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 6 of 7, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, thanks guys!

PcBytes wrote:

It's about standard baby AT size, if there is such a thing. Not that big.

melbar wrote:

It's the Soyo 5VA2, and according to the manual's pdf which you can google, it has the 430VX.

Yep, that's it! Totally forgot about that.

Reply 7 of 7, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Addendum, now that I think about it:

- finding the right BIOS update to support the K5-PR166 was a PITA. I found one for a newer revision of the board (this one is older than the one I had in the 90s!), which has more voltage options, space for a USB controller, etc. So flashing that one was a bit of a gamble. Luckily it works just fine.

- speakers are, like elianda posted, not that great and they run out of steam easily. And they have practically no low end at all. Turning up the bass knob does lead to more low mids instead of bass, and eats the tiny bit of headroom that the amplifier has up even faster. So I've connected a subwoofer from an old Philips 2.1 system, using the amplified output of the sound card. This works surprisingly well since the subwoofer has it's own low pass filter and the case speakers don't produce low end anyway.

- the case has no PC speaker and no input for a PC speaker at all. This annoyed me to no end in the 90s, since not all games supported Sound Blaster. This time, I simply glued one in. Connecting to the sound card would've been another option, but I went for the classic speaker for the authentic feeling.

- when I tested the speakers, I connected some external players first, and the sound was horrendous. Sounded like the left and right channel were cancelling themselves out and only the difference went through. I took out the control board (the one mounted behind the knobs), and discovered that it
a) had no active circuitry at all, only potentiometers and resistors - very cheaply designed and made. The only active component is the amplifier IC on the PCB shown above. This works okay for the volume, bass, treble and balance controls - however, the microphone inputs are pure shit and shouldn't be used at all. You don't put a potentiometer behind a microphone input without some kind of input stage 🙁
b) the ground between the input of the board and the controls wasn't connected. Turns out that it wasn't faulty, only that it relies on the fact that the input has to be on the same ground as the case itself. This was most likely done to avoid ground loops. So, it works with an internal sound card, it works if you connect the headphone jack of the CD ROM to the input, but it doesn't work with external sources at all.

Enough pointless rambling...