VOGONS

Candles new ME computer

Topic actions

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So my gateway won't take my to 4200 so I built it a computer 🤣, pics to follow.

AMD Sempron 2500
ECS KT600-A
512MB OCZ GOLD DDR 500 @ 333 2.2.2.5
MSI Geforce4 TI4200 128MB
80GB HD
Sony DVD-RW
Windows ME

Reply 3 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is she better yet 😊

The specs of your build look nice 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 21, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As promised

Attachments

Reply 6 of 21, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Print screen
Super key R
Mspaint
Ctl V

Edit
Kind of dusty?
Nice looking system, not a fan of the case. Then again I use a old looking beige case on my daily system, sure the systems old as rocks. I'd still use the case on a new system too.

Reply 8 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:

I love the early 2000's cases, so very gaudy

I like the case, though I'm not a fan of cases that aren't flat on top. In fact, I tossed all my ATX cases that weren't because it made them difficult to stack.

Yes, it looks a little bit dusty. I always give a case a good clean before I use it.

And for some reason I always liked the purple ECS PCBs a lot! To me it's perhaps their best feature 🤣

Is that a silver or beige optical drive btw?
And your cooling looks very good 😀.

Btw, what PSU are you using in your rig?

Last edited by Tetrium on 2016-11-15, 14:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 21, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
I like the case, though I'm not a fan of cases that aren't flat on top. In fact, I tossed all my ATX cases that weren't because […]
Show full quote
candle_86 wrote:

I like the case, though I'm not a fan of cases that aren't flat on top. In fact, I tossed all my ATX cases that weren't because it made them difficult to stack.

Yes, it looks a little bit dusty. I Always give a case a good clean before I use it.

And for some reason I Always liked the purple ECS PCBs a lot! To me it's perhaps their best feature 🤣

Its a white and silver Sony DVD drive, and its a linkworld 300W

Reply 10 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
I like the case, though I'm not a fan of cases that aren't flat on top. In fact, I tossed all my ATX cases that weren't because […]
Show full quote
candle_86 wrote:

Yes, it looks a little bit dusty. I Always give a case a good clean before I use it.

And for some reason I Always liked the purple ECS PCBs a lot! To me it's perhaps their best feature 🤣

Its a white and silver Sony DVD drive, and its a linkworld 300W

Linkworld? How's the quality of this PSU? Could it be it's your only unit with good 5v lines?
The brand name sounds kinda cheap though, to be frank.

The only other thing in your rig that will typically eat lots of power, is actually relatively nice when it comes to power consumption.

I suppose you're not considering overclocking your Sempron's FSB? The CPU itself has a relatively good chance of making it, since Semprons are of relatively newer make. My Sempron 2600+ wouldn't run reliably though when overclocking its FSB to 400MHz (board was KT600).
I think your CPU is fast enough though for an ME rig.

Overall I really like your build, I shoudl create such a fast 9x rig myself someday. Fastest I ever build them was 1400MHz I think (sA Thunderbird with SDRAM).

How is WinME for you till so far? I'm actually kinda of a big fan of Windows ME and never had the troubles everyone seemed to be mentioning when I used ME on over 20 rigs, all the way from ss7 to sA.

Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 21, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always liked me, as for the psu I have never seen another one but it's heavy, the caps are intact, and it's an ATX P4 PSU. As for ocing the sempron, nah no real need or want.

Reply 12 of 21, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
candle_86 wrote:

This case is from 2001-2002...
SC5250E_beige.jpg

I use one for the vogons game server. Nice case.

Reply 13 of 21, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No its the gaudy early gaming cases with windows, I wish I had some LED 80mm fans and ill be getting some after christmas and maybe a UV cold cathode

Reply 14 of 21, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:

No its the gaudy early gaming cases with windows, I wish I had some LED 80mm fans and ill be getting some after christmas and maybe a UV cold cathode

Everything I hate about computer cases in a single sentence. Perfect! 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 15 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tayyare wrote:
candle_86 wrote:

Everything I hate about computer cases in a single sentence. Perfect! 🤣

The LED case fans aren't too bad though, provided they are blue colored 😀
I kinda dislike red though.
And it's an easy way to see if I forgot to shut the rig down, because some of my rigs are virtually inaudible.

Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 21, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was thinking of going with Green LED Fans, some UV reactive IDE Cables and SATA Cables, and maybe even sleeving a replacement PSU to go in there. You know aim for 2003 🤣. Though I'm really tempted to spray the bare metal internals with a nice Flat Black coat

Reply 17 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:

I was thinking of going with Green LED Fans, some UV reactive IDE Cables and SATA Cables, and maybe even sleeving a replacement PSU to go in there. You know aim for 2003 🤣. Though I'm really tempted to spray the bare metal internals with a nice Flat Black coat

What you think about putting something like this in your rig? 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 18 of 21, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
candle_86 wrote:

What you think about putting something like this in your rig? 😁

Nah.

Back in 2003 I was still running Windows Me though in a case similar to this, specs where different though.

In 2003 my computer was

AMD Athlon Duron 1.4
256mb PC-2100 2x128mb
30gb Hard Drive
Geforce4 MX440
Windows ME

I refused to go to XP until 2004 when SP2 was released.

But the computer case had a windows and a handle, i had transparent 80mm fans with a green cold cathode circle behind them (do they even still make them like this?), with UV Green cables and UV green sleeving. Thats kind of what I want to channel while keeping it faster and more akin to what I wish'd Id had 🤣.

Reply 19 of 21, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
candle_86 wrote:

Green led's will not react with UV anything.
You make want to look into those Liquid neon lights too.