VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A while ago I bought this cute little SE/30 for cheap. I knew it was going to be a resto project and probably didn't work as-is, but I had my hopes up for it. I've never had a compact Mac and damnit, it's an SE/30, so it'd be worth a little elbow grease.

EDIT: Sigh... Broken Photob*cket images removed to avoid showing their stupid ad banner & giving them any more undeserved exposure. Sorry about that. Still zapping these as I find them in 2018.

Well, I finally made the appropriate tool...
[image removed]
...and opened it up. Unfortunately the prognosis is not good. 🙁

Here is what I found:

[images removed]

Already not looking happy. It had been sitting in the previous owner's garage for years on a concrete floor so I was hoping the corrosion was just due to moisture. Pulled the board, and...

[images removed]

Boom. Nope.

[images removed]

I don't think there's a lot of salvageable parts there. The RAM still looks OK but who knows. I'm guessing this thing will never run again. Even if I got a new logic board, which I don't expect will be easy to find on my island, I don't know if anything else like the CRT or HDD/floppy even work. Sadly I think this one, in its original incarnation, is a goner.

What can I use to clean up the capacitor goo from the motherboard so I can at least assess it or pull chips without it being a biohazard? Should I soak it in vinegar or soapy water?

So what do I do with it now? I'm tempted to rip out everything I can and put something like a Raspberry Pi or even the guts of a Mac Mini in there. Or maybe a Techmoan-style Dockintosh.

Is there any way to drive the CRT with a more conventional computer? I don't suppose it accepts a VGA-ish signal.

[image removed - sorry 🙁 ]

Last edited by xjas on 2018-03-15, 09:06. Edited 1 time in total.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 9, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is the extent of that damage due just to leaving it on a garage floor? Or did this guy's car leak various fluids all over it? The concentration around the battery implies to me that the battery was much of the culprit. I am surprised that the capacitors on that board hadn't leaked yet. My SE/30's caps leaked a few years ago making a big mess.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 3 of 9, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I must be hard of seeing because I don't see C12 anywhere. But I was referring to the smaller silver topped caps.

Reply 4 of 9, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The remains of C12 are right up there between the battery and the PDS, next to the ROM SIMM. It's kinda hard to see in a 2D photo, it looks like a scorched cinnamon bun. 😜 The silver caps look better in the photos than they actually are, a couple are really dodgy but yeah, most of them are surprisingly intact.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 5 of 9, by Rawrl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nah, it wasn't a cap that did that; those old Maxell PRAM batteries like to puke their guts out if they're left in storage too long. I have an SE that did the same thing.

The surface mount electrolytics in SE/30s do leak, but they wouldn't cause anywhere near that much damage.

Reply 6 of 9, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, caps do leak. I just recapped a SE30 board for somebody and there was green corrosion on pins and one pad was eaten away. Thankfully it is 100% working and even looks nice.

se30_recapped.jpg
Filename
se30_recapped.jpg
File size
1.56 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 7 of 9, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I couldn't get my SE/30 working last I pulled it out. It is showing symptoms similar to problems with the analogue board, but replacing the analogue board didn't fix it. The replacement could have been bad too though. I don't know you people keep these things working. Did you find a new replacement part for the flyback transformer?

Reply 8 of 9, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's what the board looks like after some attempt at clean-up. Sadly, I'm calling time-of-death. The battery holder disintegrated when I pushed on it. Some of the pins of the video ROM were so brittle they broke when I tried to remove it and UJ3 & UJ4 just came off in my hand.

[edit: image removed]

There are some decent parts in this thing that are still in good shape, like the RAM & ethernet card, so maybe bits of it can live on to save another SE/30. Looks increasingly like mine is gonna be a case-mod project if I can find the time. I've got something vaguely in mind to do with it.

Last edited by xjas on 2018-03-15, 09:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 9, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, since you mentioned the Ipad docking mod. I thought about an old hack I saw about that certain machine.

http://spritesmods.com/?art=macsearm