VOGONS

First post, by Korax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone! 😀

I haven't posted here before, although I have been visiting these forums quite a few times! Therefore I thought it was time to come out from the shadows and say "Hi!", and what better way to do it, than to show you all my faithful retro PC? 😀

This is an old IBM 300PL (The tower version) from 1999 which I bought about a year ago from a nice, local guy who had taken good care of it, but had no use for it anymore. Until then I had been looking for a machine which I could use to play my favorite PC games from the 90's. I was a bit torn between what PC to get, and what specs it should have. After considering things for a while, I decided that I wanted to get a Windows/Late DOS gaming PC, running Windows 98SE. Back in the day we got our first PC in 1995 (An IBM Aptiva with a Pentium, 75 Mhz CPU 😀) and so mainly I was aiming for it to run games from around 1992/1993 to 1999/2000.

The specs are as follows:

Intel Pentium III 866 MHz Slot A (originally came with a 667 Mhz PIII, which I upgraded)
256 MB Ram
20 GB Seagate U5 HD
Quad Speed Creative CD-rom Drive
5,25" Inch Mitsumi Floppy Drive (Rather out of place for a Windows/Late Dos gaming PC, but I just love those old drives 😁)
250 MB Iomega ZIP ATAPI Drive
3,5" Stock IBM Floppy drive
3Dfx Voodoo 3 3000 PCI /w coolerfan attached to it and latest BIOS version
Diamond Monstersound MX300 (Aureal Vortex 2) + attached Roland SCB-7 Wavetable DB
...and a network card 😀

As some of you may have noticed, this is a pure PCI setup - unlike the desktop version of the 300PL, there are no ISA slots in this machine. There is an AGP slot, but it uses the NLX bracket so I haven't really used it. I had a few concerns that it would have some issues with DOS games in general, but I must say that I'm very much impressed with the Aureal Vortex 2 and the Voodoo 3 compatibility under DOS. All the DOS games I've played so far (mostly FPS and strategy games, along with some adventure games) have been running great, and some even better than they did on an ISA setup I had prior to this. The Roland DB works beautifully as well under DOS (especially Duke Nukem 3D sounds incredible). I know that there will be some old DOS games that just wont run, or run very well on this machine, but since this area isn't the main focus of my interest (nor the scope of this machine), I believe that I'll survive 😀 Eitherway, I've added some pictures for those of you who wish to have a look 😀

I'd also like to use the oppurtunity to say thanks for the advice and answers to my questions that I found by searching these forums - it's what compelled me to join eventually! 😀

20161120_123614.jpg

20161120_123629.jpg

20161120_123729.jpg

20161120_123758.jpg

20161120_123745.jpg

Reply 1 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's a beauty! Very clean too. I like how the peripheral cards are mounted upside down. 😀 Is there a fan in the lower front under that shroud looking thingy?

Thanks for sharing! 😉

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 7, by Korax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks man! Yeah I guess it's a bit unusual to see the cards mounted like that 😁

And yes, there is indeed a quite large (and surprisingly quiet) intake fan hidden beneath that shroud looking thingy 😀

Reply 3 of 7, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you actually insert cards into the slots closest to the main board without having to remove the processor or having to take out the whole riser card? 😲

Reply 4 of 7, by Korax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
yawetaG wrote:

Can you actually insert cards into the slots closest to the main board without having to remove the processor or having to take out the whole riser card? 😲

Hehe yeah somewhat 😀 Haven't had to remove the riser card at any point, however you might have to take out the processor if you're trying to fit one of the larger PCI cards at the bottom slot. At the moment I have the network card there though, which is a small card, and here I didn't have to remove anything 😀

Reply 5 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome!
Nice to see a OEM system getting some love.
Had the Desktop version of this from a customer round 2005? ish Never did much with it and sadly junked it 5 years ago just before getting back into old PC's Looked nice though.

Rekon your into similar era of gaming as me (also got our first PC in 1995) and think your PC is well thought out
Slot 1 is perfect for this era IMHO, Even enough power to run dos games from within windows if you can get over that "cheating" feeling which can be handy sometimes.
Voodoo 3 has good DOS compatibility and of course necessary for glide games which were at their peak this era
Same as the soundcard, although I like my EAX from what I've read Vortex 2 has amazing DOS support which cant be said about Creative PCI cards

Only weakness I can see is DirectX games depending on what you play. All up very nice rig indeed

Reply 6 of 7, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some trivia,

The first PC 300 towers (Pentium 1) featured a front audio panel that was dropped in all later models (along with an ethernet indicator which looks like it was removed on the Pentium 3 iteration):
ibm-6592-12u-300pl-desktop-computer-1.18.jpg

A black version of the chassis exists under the IntelliStation E Pro branding (however no point of a mobo swap since IntelliStations offered better specs unless you wanted to pop in the Pentium 1 boards):
ibm_zpro.jpg