VOGONS

First post, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there,

This system here is my 3Dfx Voodoo2 SLI PC, based on Intel P6 Gen. 2. This one I really have just for the fun of building and running it. Basically, there is no real “need” for it other than that 😀 All my Glide games run on my V5 system too, and that with a way better image quality and performance. But that’s of course not the point here. Back in the days, when I was so happy I could afford a Voodoo Graphics, the Voodoo2 appeared, and with it, the SLI option for the desktop... That was such a cool (and expensive) thing back then, I always wanted to rebuild that system for years now. But I wanted to somehow improve on it, although that’s not really gaining anything (only looks). So I chose my dual-slot board (an Asus P2B-DS, officially capable of 133MHz FSB although I don't use that option), and since I didn’t had any Intel P6 Gen. 2 back then (I directly jumped to the Pentium III 450MHz, skipping Pentium II completely), I sourced a pair of 450MHz CPUs, slapped them in, together with the Matrox for 2D and my Sound Blaster Live! and switched it on... The system worked, great!

Then I installed Windows 98 SE and all drivers, tested a few games and enjoyed it 😀 But then I had to stop working on it. So, open tasks are finalizing the OS installation (maybe add Windows 2000 as a dual-boot option), and then add all the games. I’m also thinking of adding another fan to directly blow across the V2 cards.

Updates (and more photos) will be added whenever possible...

System specifications:

• CPU: 2x Intel Pentium II 450MHz
    Cooler: 2x Compaq Slot 1 Heatsink + Noctua NF-A14 FLX
    Mainboard: Asus P2B-DS
    RAM: Micron 512MB PC100 CL2 (2x 256MB)
    PSU: Enermax EG465P-VE 431W
    Case: Fractal Design Define R5

Add-in cards:

• AGP: Matrox Millenium G200 AGP 8MB
    PCI1: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! Player 1024
    PCI2: STB Voodoo2 1000 12MB
    PCI4: STB Voodoo2 1000 12MB

Drives:

• FDD: N/A
    SSD: Corsair CSSD-F60GBLSB 60 GB
    ODD: Plextor PX740A IDE

Game Controllers:

• Gameport: Microsoft SideWinder Game Pad

I/O Devices (via KVM):

• Display: Eizo FlexScan F520
    Keyboard: Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
    Mouse: Logitech S96
    Speaker: Canton Plus Media 3

Pictures:

• system.JPG
    Filename
    system.JPG
    File size
    1.8 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
    cpu_heatsink.JPG
    Filename
    cpu_heatsink.JPG
    File size
    2.23 MiB
    Views
    File license
    v2_sli.JPG
    Filename
    v2_sli.JPG
    File size
    2.21 MiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by voodoo5_6k on 2016-11-25, 13:16. Edited 1 time in total.

END OF LINE.

Reply 3 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got a similar build! Only my motherboard is a older revision that maxes out with Katmai 600's
Asus P2B-DS Build

I liked the idea of having a SMP/SLI build. Even thought about putting in a RAID mirror for duel HDD's but decided that's just a waste.
It also duel boots between 9x and 2k was surprised at the time how many games ran fine in Windows 2000, I use this more then my single CPU P3 1Ghz Win9x PC for gaming.