VOGONS

First post, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there,

This here is my main 3dfx Glide PC, and the first real retro system I assembled. It runs Windows 98 SE and Windows 2000 Professional SP4 in a dual boot configuration. In addition, it represents Intel P6 Gen. 3.

Design goal was to build a system that supports my 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP (or PCI) and is sort-of period correct (I’m not so hardcore on that). Usually, I prefer the V5 over anything else because of the FSAA option on top of the raw performance. For compatibility I never had any issues with it (although I of course know that they are there, but I just don’t like those specific games). I ended up using my CUSL2-C and the AGP V5. I got the Pentium III-S running in it and added the Sound Blaster. I had purchased the Asus iPanel together with the CUSL2-C mainly because of its ability to display the BIOS POST codes. But the clockspeed display does always look nice, even today 😀

There’s still lots of stuff to do. I tested most of my Glide games, some are running under Windows 98, but some refused to run (that’s why I added Windows 2000). But the system itself, hardware, is running great for more than two years now!

I chose the case because on the one hand it is somehow “retro-compatible” as it is white, and on the other hand it is decently looking (and ventilated) and fits my furniture. I bought another one for my V2 SLI system which is placed next to this one.

Updates (and more pictures) will be added whenever possible...

System specifications:

• CPU: Intel Pentium III-S 1,40GHz
    Cooler: Thermaltake Volcano 12 + Noctua NF-A8 FLX
    Mainboard: Asus CUSL2-C + Asus iPanel
    RAM: Micron 512MB PC133 CL2 (2x 256MB)
    PSU: Enermax EG465AX-VE(G)FM 460W
    Case: Fractal Design Define R5

Add-in cards:

• AGP: 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP 64MB
    PCI4: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2

Drives:

• FDD: N/A
    SSD: SanDisk SDSSDP-064G-G25 64GB
    ODD: Asus DVD E616

Game Controllers:

• Gameport: Microsoft SideWinder Game Pad
    Gameport: Microsoft SideWinder Precision Pro

I/O Devices (via KVM):

• Display: Eizo FlexScan F520
    Keyboard: Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
    Mouse: Logitech S96
    Speaker: Canton Plus Media 3

Pictures:

• system.JPG
    Filename
    system.JPG
    File size
    1.9 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
    side_view.JPG
    Filename
    side_view.JPG
    File size
    2.28 MiB
    Views
    File license
    ipanel.JPG
    Filename
    ipanel.JPG
    File size
    2.07 MiB
    Views
    File license

END OF LINE.

Reply 3 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi.

I think it's a nice touch having the 1400 in LED on the front panel 🤣.
Personally I'm not a fan of using such new cases for such old builds, but the white is more period-correct and indeed, your case is very well ventilated.
Should keep your Voodoo 5 nice and cool 😀

Have you ever given Windows ME a try? It might make for an interesting experiment, particularly since a rig with these specs will make ME run really well.
It's different compared to 98SE, but there's plenty people here who can show you how to get started, if you ever feel like giving it a try 😀

And I think a white/beige DVD drive suits your build well.

PSU: Enermax EG465AX-VE(G)FM 460W

Apparently this could even power an Athlon XP? Nice!

How did you get your Tualatin running in that board?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 7, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

[...]

Thanks 😀

Tetrium wrote:

The PSU is from my Pentium 4 EE system back then. It has definitely some excess power 😉 The Tualatin is pin-modded to gain electrical compatibility to FC-PGA (1). If you have done that, your board basically has to be 133MHz FSB capable to support Tualatin. But some BIOS are pretty restrictive in terms of unsupported CPU. The Intel D815EEA2 I used for my Voodoo5 6000 system is one of those examples (link in my signature). But with e.g. Asus boards there shouldn't be any issues. On the CUSL2-C, I just had to enter the BIOS after POST and set it to 1400MHz. That's it. CPU-Z reports correct CPU, clock speed, and cache sizes. Due to the added height of the CPU (FC-PGA 2 features an IHS), you'll have to use either a special clamp or widen the existing one a little to mount the heatsink, otherwise you might damage CPU, board and/or socket with the excessive contact pressure.

Tetrium wrote:

Personally I'm not a fan of using such new cases for such old builds, but the white is more period-correct and indeed, your case is very well ventilated.

Agreed. It was a tough decision to make whether or not to use a modern case. But unfortunately, I don't have any of my really old cases anymore. I always used big or super towers, and those are, well, quite big 😉 There was no way to store them all. In the end I settled with keeping all hardware parts I ever used, but had to get rid of the old cases... You can't have everything 😉 Fractal Design cases tend to have a very unobtrusive outer appearance which I think is not too bad for using as a case for a system like that, let alone the availability of modern features like cable management, decent ventilation with large and silent fans etc.pp. And did I already mention that it matches the design of my furniture 😁? I'll post pictures of my computer room once it is cleaned up. Currently, there are still so many boxes piled up with all the parts and stuff, I can't show that to anyone 😉

Tetrium wrote:

Have you ever given Windows ME a try? It might make for an interesting experiment, particularly since a rig with these specs will make ME run really well.
It's different compared to 98SE, but there's plenty people here who can show you how to get started, if you ever feel like giving it a try 😀

Actually, I haven't. I think, I don't even have a license around here. I used Windows 98 SE until Windows XP Pro came out and directly migrated, never looked back. Well, not never. Some day, the retro fever started 😀 Thanks for the suggestion 😀 I'll definitely look into that, after getting a license cheap off of eBay or whatever.

END OF LINE.

Reply 5 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
voodoo5_6k wrote:
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

[...]

Thanks 😀

Tetrium wrote:

The PSU is from my Pentium 4 EE system back then. It has definitely some excess power 😉 The Tualatin is pin-modded to gain electrical compatibility to FC-PGA (1). If you have done that, your board basically has to be 133MHz FSB capable to support Tualatin. But some BIOS are pretty restrictive in terms of unsupported CPU. The Intel D815EEA2 I used for my Voodoo5 6000 system is one of those examples (link in my signature). But with e.g. Asus boards there shouldn't be any issues. On the CUSL2-C, I just had to enter the BIOS after POST and set it to 1400MHz. That's it. CPU-Z reports correct CPU, clock speed, and cache sizes. Due to the added height of the CPU (FC-PGA 2 features an IHS), you'll have to use either a special clamp or widen the existing one a little to mount the heatsink, otherwise you might damage CPU, board and/or socket with the excessive contact pressure.

Yup, I know about the Intel boards of that time, I've used 2 D815EEAs (basically same as your board, except no official Tualatin support) myself. Not a lot of options in BIOS but they seemed very reliable when I used them.
Yes, I know about the issues of the added height of PC-PGA2. I'm the one who wrote the s370 IHS-page on Vogonswiki about it 🤣
But I noticed that, even though I mentioned the extra height was something to be wary about, I never added the fix of slightly bending the CPU HSF clamp.
I'll go add this soon as I think this is a cheap and easy fix for a problem that might turn into disaster (think along the lines of the CPU HSF breaking of, dropping inside the case onto a Voodoo 5 while the system is running (yes it can happen)).

I do have a few Intel Tualatin HSFs that are made specifically with the added height of the IHS in mind, but found the 2 green plastic clamps to be too brittle, it broke with very little force (I guess it's because of old age of the plastic of those stock Intel HSFs) so I prefer to bend the clamp a bit.

Another option could be to use the clamp of a s7 HSF, as those tend to be not so tight in the first place.

voodoo5_6k wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Agreed. It was a tough decision to make whether or not to use a modern case. But unfortunately, I don't have any of my really old cases anymore. I always used big or super towers, and those are, well, quite big 😉 There was no way to store them all. In the end I settled with keeping all hardware parts I ever used, but had to get rid of the old cases... You can't have everything 😉 Fractal Design cases tend to have a very unobtrusive outer appearance which I think is not too bad for using as a case for a system like that, let alone the availability of modern features like cable management, decent ventilation with large and silent fans etc.pp. And did I already mention that it matches the design of my furniture 😁? I'll post pictures of my computer room once it is cleaned up. Currently, there are still so many boxes piled up with all the parts and stuff, I can't show that to anyone 😉

We actually have a thread about people's computer area's along with tons of pics! 😁
Here post up pics of your "computing area"

voodoo5_6k wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Actually, I haven't. I think, I don't even have a license around here. I used Windows 98 SE until Windows XP Pro came out and directly migrated, never looked back. Well, not never. Some day, the retro fever started 😀 Thanks for the suggestion 😀 I'll definitely look into that, after getting a license cheap off of eBay or whatever.

Ah, it's kinda like that for me as well, except that I started using ME due to 98SE being hard to find at the time 😀 (this was before Vista and XP and 98SE were the most popular OS's).

It may not be for you, but you'll never know until you try.

I also tried 98SE years later. Wasn't a great success to me personally. I think I simply had too high expectations since everyone seemed to say ME was total crap compared to 98SE and in my case I found 98SE to leave me unimpressed because of this. Apparently ME wasn't quite that bad after all, and I'm not the only one who came to that conclusion. ME does need a different approach compared to 98SE, it's a lot different in a way.

They both have their uses though 98SE has the obvious advantage of better support for DOS (especially out of the box).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 7, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Yes, I know about the issues of the added height of PC-PGA2. I'm the one who wrote the s370 IHS-page on Vogonswiki about it 🤣

Good to know 😀

Tetrium wrote:

I'll go add this soon as I think this is a cheap and easy fix for a problem that might turn into disaster (think along the lines of the CPU HSF breaking of, dropping inside the case onto a Voodoo 5 while the system is running (yes it can happen)).

That's exactly the reason why I will never put my Voodoo5 6000 in a tower case. That, and a decent amount of paranoia 😉

Tetrium wrote:

We actually have a thread about people's computer area's along with tons of pics! 😁
Here post up pics of your "computing area"

I know, I enjoy browsing through it every now and then. Same for the Retro Rig Photo Thread. Always very interesting to see what other fellow vogons members build and use. That can give really good ideas or inspiration.

Tetrium wrote:

Apparently ME wasn't quite that bad after all, and I'm not the only one who came to that conclusion.

That's basically what I think of Windows Vista. If you had decent hardware, it was a very nice OS (I used a Xeon X3350 with 4GB DDR2 and a GeForce 8800GTS 512MB which was quickly replaced by a GeForce GTX 280 and had fun with Crysis maxed out 😀). It is just that Windows 7 was a vast improvement in about everything, so I replaced Vista as soon as 7 was available.

Once I find a cheap license (and disc) of ME I'll give it a try.

Tetrium wrote:

They both have their uses though 98SE has the obvious advantage of better support for DOS (especially out of the box).

That's actually not that important in my case as I have a dedicated PC for DOS (the Pentium Pro system), as well as DOSBox on my current systems.

END OF LINE.

Reply 7 of 7, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

my own Tualatin system is actually very similar to this , just with a 350w Enermax and a 15k SCSI drive as opposed to an SSD. Its basically the best Deus Ex machine you can get 😜

regarding WinME, it really depends on the hardware (not necessarily the capability, but other things too) , but its not significantly more unstable than Win98SE once you install the unofficial service pack which fixes some issues.