VOGONS

First post, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My office recently scrapped a whole fleet of Pentium 4-era machines. I was allowed my pick of the hardware before the recyclers arrived, and one of the things I saved was this Dell Precision 380 workstation.

pmGzcHSb.jpg 4kYyOLk1.jpg

It came with a Pentium 4 630 3.0 GHz, 1GB DDR2-667 RAM, Quadro NVS285, Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit, 375 watt power supply, and no hard drive. The original configuration wasn't too exciting, but the system presented an interesting opportunity. I like to put together machines that represent the last and best of some generation of hardware, and this one had the potential to fill some important gaps in my collection: specifically, I wanted to try out the best pre-Core 2 Duo Intel processor and the best pre-DirectX 10 Nvidia GPU.

So, I installed some upgrades and pushed this old machine to its limits. Current specs:

Pentium 4 670 3.8 GHz
2GB DDR2-667 RAM (4x512MB)
GeForce 7900 GTX
Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit (SB0410)
Western Digital 320GB SATA HDD
525 watt Dell PSU (N525E-00)

Vitals:

JaMJY5TK.png
zoKZDNnV.png

Full battery of tests, all done at 1024x768x32 with Windows XP SP3 and Forceware 175.19:

3DMark2000
04H7IY3w.png
(had to run in Windows 98 compatibility mode; score seemed a little low)

3DMark2001 SE
End09NK5.png

3DMark03
73gb01fC.png

3DMark05
hJ5zWkAX.png

3DMark06
6giU8IvN.png

Doom 3 timedemo
Qlct5nJ9.png
(much slower than I expected; still investigating)

F.E.A.R. timedemo
xZAvjkKT.png

So far I've been playing Quake 4, Call of Duty 2, Oblivion, and Far Cry, and they all run nicely. I was even able to play Crysis at a mix of medium and high settings. I believe this system is CPU limited because I can often turn on antialiasing without seeing much of a performance hit.

PCGames9505

Reply 1 of 14, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Absolutely love it!

Taking an OEM machine and maxing it out is something I always love to see. OEM machines don't get much love for some reason, but they make awesome retro gaming machines.

Is the PSU wiring propriety?

BX form factor?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 14, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I do like the idea of such a P4 system very very much 😀

Starting with Northwood, and especially when Hyper-Threading was introduced, the P4 was a really good CPU. Although Prescott is in my opinion not that good, I'd prefer Cedar Mill when going with the Socket 775 P4 (of course it is another thing when you have the Prescott already lying around). Only the Athlon64 gave it a very hard time later, but that's when you start employing Core 2 to blow it away 😉 I still have my Pentium 4 3,0GHz HT and Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3,4GHz. Although I have no use for them currently, I do plan on something comparable to your idea (although I'll be staying with Socket 478 for obvious EE reasons 😉)

END OF LINE.

Reply 4 of 14, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

....OEM machines don't get much love for some reason, but they make awesome retro gaming machines.

There are plenty of reasons actually 😈
1. Lack of overclocking and advanced BIOS tweaking.
2. Usually limited CPU upgrade options
3. Non-standard MB format (+ heatsink mounting)
4. Non-standard PSU (both size and pinout)
5. Weak PSU wattage and often lack of PCI-E 6/8pin cables
6. Stupid case layout, often incompatible with long PCI-E / PCI add-on cards.

So all in all these OEM machines have so many weak points it is hard to even consider them. Maybe the only advantage is low price.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 5 of 14, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Is the PSU wiring propriety?

BX form factor?

Yep, it's BTX.

The power supply uses standard ATX connectors, but the case is shaped in such a way that normal PSUs don't quite fit. (There are a couple of metal tabs that slide into the power supply and hold it in place.) It wouldn't be a Dell without some kind of proprietary nonsense, right? 🤣

Instead of cutting into the case, I figured I'd just find a better Dell power supply. The one I bought usually shipped with the newer Precision T3400, but it fits the Precision 380 just fine.

PCGames9505

Reply 6 of 14, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
havli wrote:
[quote="PhilsComputerLab"1. Lack of overclocking and advanced BIOS tweaking. 2. Usually limited CPU upgrade options 3. Non-stand […]
Show full quote

[quote="PhilsComputerLab"1. Lack of overclocking and advanced BIOS tweaking.

All valid points. I have some other upgraded OEM machines (like this one), so I was expecting some pitfalls going in.

There are some upsides to working with OEM systems, though:

1. Price / availability of the system itself. (This one was free, my Dimension 4500 was also free, and my Dimension 4100 was only $10.)
2. Price / availability of replacement parts.
3. Builds get off the ground quickly. (Instead of starting with a pile of parts, you start with a working system.)

Also, while there are plenty of stupid case layouts, there seem to be just as many good ones. This one was obviously designed to make life easy for the IT department: it's easy to get into and easy to swap out parts.

PCGames9505

Reply 7 of 14, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
havli wrote:
There are plenty of reasons actually :evil: 1. Lack of overclocking and advanced BIOS tweaking. 2. Usually limited CPU upgrade […]
Show full quote
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

....OEM machines don't get much love for some reason, but they make awesome retro gaming machines.

There are plenty of reasons actually 😈
1. Lack of overclocking and advanced BIOS tweaking.

So all in all these OEM machines have so many weak points it is hard to even consider them. Maybe the only advantage is low price.

The only issue that concerns me in that list is the PSU. Everything else is fine IMO. The layout doesn't really matter, it's going to stay an OEM machine. Of course, if you want to transplant it into another case then you might have issues...

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 8 of 14, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's worth noting that OEM machines from Dell, HP, and IBM (Lenovo) usually have good quality power supplies which are safely and cleanly able perform to their ratings.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9 of 14, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an identical case Dell Precision with a C2Q and Quadro card, unfortunatly it is dirty as hell. It was a gift but I haven't had time to check it exactly what is in it.
😈 But I guess I can make something usefull of it after cleaning.

Reply 11 of 14, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

greenhamgaming did a video on the C2D version of this PC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teH2okeA3v4
I've got the related T5500 myself, Duel CPU running my sandbox ESX server as I'm not sure what to do with it really, It's a nice machine though.

Re the OEM vs custom build battle, it really depends on what you want but basically if your not an overclocker OEM = stable, but think that's a good topic for another thread rather then hijack this one

Reply 13 of 14, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a simliar machine. It also had a P4 670 HT, but had 3GB RAM and a Geforce 7900GT. One of the best I've ever had.

Reply 14 of 14, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wonder how Netbust would scale with more cores, more cache, and 4.0ghz clockspeeds on a modern 14nm process.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1