VOGONS

First post, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi folks,

long story short, but I moved house recently, so no internet for 6 weeks while the engineers faffed about getting my connection working and also still a ton of my old computers still in storage. My main rig failed during the move too, hard disk was damaged so while waiting for a replacement drive I had to build a system for daily use out of what I had on hand from my spares boxes that were easily accessible. This is what I came up with:

OCZ(Overclockers zone) Cube all aluminum "fish tank" case.
ECS P6STP-FN SiS 630 socket 370 motherboard.
VIA C3 "Nehemiah" 1200 MHz CPU
1 GB SDRAM(2x 512Mb Crucial CL2)
Matrox Millennium G450 32MB PCI VGA Card.
40 Gb Maxtor IDE Hard disk.
Windows ME.
Hercules speakers.
Acer V173 monitor.

IMG_1198.JPG
Filename
IMG_1198.JPG
File size
1.34 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_1199.JPG
Filename
IMG_1199.JPG
File size
1.1 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_1200.JPG
Filename
IMG_1200.JPG
File size
1.18 MiB
Views
File license

Well for a machine that was built out of what ever I could find handily at the time, this has turned out to be a real gem, with retrozilla I have been using the internet much as I always do once the connection was sorted. Editing pictures, burning CD's, playing music, I even logged into the VOGONS game server and played some Unreal Tournament.
I really am amazed how good this thing is, it was made completely from cast off parts that I didn't want in any of my other rigs, yet has been perfect for the last few weeks. I have not actually switched the thing off since I made it, 100% reliability so far.
I know the whole thing makes little sense, a "bad" ECS board with a "joke" CPU, a mediocre graphics card and Windows ME. But honestly it works really well & saw me through until the new hard drive arrived for my main rig. I'm going to keep it set up from now on, it's done me proud and I hope it contiues to do so into the future, the machine made of crap parts that should never have been built!

Best,
Chris

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 1 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Any chance you can get some throttling data with SETMUL under DOS? Nehemiah CPUs are pretty common on Ebay these days and I'm wondering how well a Nehemiah rig would work compared to my Socket 7 / K6-2 machine.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 9, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I run my Nehemiah at 1.4 GHz in an i815 motherboard. About 5 years ago, it was still able to keep up fairly well with web browsing. I haven't tried it recently though. The Nehemiah was actually a pretty decent CPU from VIA. All the other C3 chips were a lot slower though.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 4 of 9, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Agreed with gdjacobs. Add it to the cachebench spreadsheet!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 5 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BSA Starfire wrote:
I had to build a system for daily use out of what I had on hand from my spares boxes that were easily accessible. […]
Show full quote

I had to build a system for daily use out of what I had on hand from my spares boxes that were easily accessible.

Well for a machine that was built out of what ever I could find handily at the time, this has turned out to be a real gem, with retrozilla I have been using the internet much as I always do once the connection was sorted. Editing pictures, burning CD's, playing music, I even logged into the VOGONS game server and played some Unreal Tournament.
I really am amazed how good this thing is, it was made completely from cast off parts that I didn't want in any of my other rigs, yet has been perfect for the last few weeks. I have not actually switched the thing off since I made it, 100% reliability so far.
I know the whole thing makes little sense, a "bad" ECS board with a "joke" CPU, a mediocre graphics card and Windows ME. But honestly it works really well & saw me through until the new hard drive arrived for my main rig. I'm going to keep it set up from now on, it's done me proud and I hope it contiues to do so into the future, the machine made of crap parts that should never have been built!

Best,
Chris

This I like a lot, nicely done! 😁

I've build a couple rigs in a similar way, build a rig with what I had on hand at that moment, install an OS and in the end I ended up only using the rig to run a couple benchmarks and then putting the rig away 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 9, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've build a couple rigs in a similar way, build a rig with what I had on hand at that moment, install an OS and in the end I ended up only using the rig to run a couple benchmarks and then putting the rig away

Sounds familiar. I find repeated attention happens to only 1 or 2 systems of particular interest.

Reply 7 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

I've build a couple rigs in a similar way, build a rig with what I had on hand at that moment, install an OS and in the end I ended up only using the rig to run a couple benchmarks and then putting the rig away

Sounds familiar. I find repeated attention happens to only 1 or 2 systems of particular interest.

I do prefer to keep using just 1 or 2 retro rigs at any given time and only switch when I need another rig for whatever reason (usually because I want to get a game working quickly without having to potentially spend hours getting it to run on my main rig).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 9, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

my VIA C7-D 1,6Ghz Machine struggles with webbrowsing these Days 😒
the C3 should struggle even more because of the lack of sse2.

The ECS P6STP-FN has often problems with capacitors.
i also have one with dead capacitors 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 9 of 9, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Within the last 6-12 months, I'm even feeling a web slowdown on a P4 Prescott w/i875 chipset w/4GB RAM.