VOGONS

First post, by NiPPonD3nZ0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello fellow Vogonists

Today I bring you a Windows XP era machine, an Athlon XP based system, and I want to photobomb you all with the road to glory of this PC

First, the "why" I will do this machine:
When I started to work for real with computers, back in 2002, these Socket A systems were the systems I've assembled the most. They were great performers for the price, as we all know now, so they sold well. And god I've build a crapload of them.

The machine in question, it's been given to me, and it is a Targa system, and to my knowledge, all Targa PC's are AMD based, and this one is built around a ASUS A7N266-VM motherboard.

This motherboard is to me kind of an elusive one! As I've started to build and repairing PC's, motherboards based on this chipset (the original nForce) were already replaced by the nForce 2 and VIA KT400A/KT600 based boards on the Socket A platform, so I was never able to work with one, until this week.

This is it, in all its used patina 😀

WP_20161204_14_59_47_Pro.jpg

WP_20161204_14_59_53_Pro.jpg

WP_20161204_15_00_01_Pro.jpg

WP_20161204_15_00_16_Pro.jpg

Lets start by taking it all apart!

I've already started it so I know it boots (into BIOS at least) and I've already replaced the CMOS battery, so I didn't take any pictures of it working before I've taken it apart

I love the way this chassis opens up.
WP_20161204_15_00_41_Pro.jpg

WP_20161204_15_01_08_Pro.jpg

There she is!!!

WP_20161204_15_01_17_Pro.jpg

I will never know why there were 2 floppy drives and 3 optical drives were in the PC, but the guy who gave the PC to me also had a couple of front bezel covers for this chassis, one 3.5" and one 5.25", so I don't have too much to cover up afterwards!

This sucker is quite yellowed. From the 3 optical drives shown in the next picture, I will maintain the middle one, a Toshiba DVD-ROM as it came with this PC originally (thanks Wayback Machine for the info 😀 )

WP_20161204_15_18_02_Pro.jpg

Here is the motherboard, an ASUS A7N266-VM, Rev 1,03 and this means it supports Athlon XP's with the "Palomino" and "Thoroughbred A and B" cores, with a 266MHz FSB. If it were the next revision, 1,05, it could support the "Thorton" core.

WP_20161204_15_18_18_Pro.jpg

So, the system looked OK, but when I was removing the heatsink so I could do the maintenance properly I came across this:

WP_20161204_15_19_01_Pro.jpg

WP_20161204_15_19_08_Pro.jpg

"What the fuck", right? It's what you get when idiots mess with PC's

The SouthBridge
WP_20161204_15_18_54_Pro.jpg

The NorthBridge
WP_20161204_15_20_35_Pro.jpg

The motherboard and a few fellow cards are ready to their bath. I didn't know that the VGA is defective at this point, and I still don't know if the Audigy 2 is good or not, but they needed cleaning, so there they went!

WP_20161204_16_05_30_Pro.jpg

WP_20161204_16_20_21_Pro.jpg

In the isopropyl alcool they went, 15 minutes on each side, for good measure.

WP_20161204_16_20_32_Pro.jpg

Next, while the cards are washing, I went ahead and opened the "Enhanced" branded PSU... I didn't like it, too many blown caps, so I got a Halfmann "650Watt" cleaned up and ready to go, at least for now.

WP_20161204_16_28_37_Pro.jpg

No blown caps, that's good

WP_20161204_16_28_42_Pro.jpg

With that taken care, lets try this thing out!
Temporary cooler, just to check if it still boots, with the original CPU (Athlon XP 1600+)

WP_20161204_16_47_42_Rich.jpg

WP_20161204_15_18_40_Pro.jpg

WP_20161204_16_47_34_Rich.jpg

Good, it still works, so lets try some of my better Athlon XP 266FSB CPU's
I have the following CPU's, besides the one that came with the PC:

WP_20161204_16_48_53_Rich.jpg

They are (from top to bottom): XP 1800+ (Thoroughbred), XP 1900+ (Palomino), XP 2000+ (Thoroughbred) and a XP2200+ (Thoroughbred)

The 2200+ is dead, so on it went the 2000+ for now!

The NB heatsink already in place with Arctic MX-2 on (I use this thermal compound everywere)
WP_20161204_18_46_04_Rich.jpg

It needs a BIOS update but it POST's, so lets make this PC whole again!
It's clean, yellow, but clean!
WP_20161204_15_39_06_Pro.jpg

And it's in...
WP_20161204_15_50_54_Pro.jpg

I will retrobright this front bezel, but if some fellow Vogonist have one in better shape or found one in better shape, I would be glad to buy it and replace it, because this one has the blue part glued on it and it's ugly... someone broke it and I dont like it this way, because the overall case is so good, this bezel is just a fugly stain!

The motherboard is in...
WP_20161204_18_48_44_Rich.jpg

I usually spend an unholy amount of zip ties on my computers... I Like the cables well managed and tight
WP_20161204_18_54_14_Rich.jpg

Now, it needs a CPU cooler... I didn't want to use the one it came with, because I have a Cooler Master one at home witch I really wanted to use, but I had forgotten it (I've done all this work @ my workplace). But then I realised, I only have a Athlon XP 2000+, it is not a very warm CPU, so fuck it, I've cleaned it all!

WP_20161204_19_15_21_Rich.jpg

I've taken apart the fan to do some cleaning and lube job... I've done it to the 140mm fan of the power supply as well, but forgot to take pictures

WP_20161204_19_15_32_Rich.jpg

WP_20161204_19_15_38_Rich.jpg

Some WD40 and grease were needed
WP_20161204_16_28_52_Pro.jpg

Retaining clip and it's on
WP_20161204_19_18_47_Rich.jpg

Best cooling company slogan EVER 😀
WP_20161204_19_15_16_Rich.jpg

And it's in! The power supply cables arent managed, because this power supply is not for this system. Will have to do it some other day because time is running out today
WP_20161204_19_25_56_Rich.jpg

I've found an Sony DVD-RW that complements the Toshiba DVD-Rom nicely

WP_20161204_19_26_03_Rich.jpg

I've started it, installed Windows XP Home Edition on it, but during setup i've found that the graphics card, a Creative Blaster GeForce FX5600XT I was intending to use is showing artifacts... Bad chip? I will reflow it (@ my job we have proper machines for that. It won't fix it permanently, but maybe I can take a few rounds of benchmarks and gaming before it dies again).

Will post some more pictures of it today, if I can find the time to do what I want to!

English isn't my native language, so forgive me if I made to many mistakes.

Best Regards from Lisbon, Portugal!

😀

Reply 1 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The replacement PSU is pretty terrible. Anemic input filtering, four individual diodes where you should have a full bridge rectifier IC. The Enhanced PSU is likely better (as Enhanced is a proper middle tier manufacturer) and worth recapping.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 15, by NiPPonD3nZ0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know, I even said in the post that this PSU would not be kept here! I don't trust "light" power supply's. The fact that the PCB is around 3 cm shorter than the PSU chassis, to me, makes it crap in my book, but the arguments you used are techically correct! 😀

The Enhaced will be recaped and will get a NoiseBlocker (or equivalent) fan, I just didn't had the time to do it!

Today I've intalled Windows XP Home Edition on it, installed the drivers and some basic software on it just to check for basic stability, and it didn't let me down! The GeForce FX5600XT is screwed
WP_20161205_10_10_18_Pro.jpg[

So it got kicked out... I have a choice of cards for this, will have to decide witch one this will get... For now, I got OnBoard GeForce 2MX Integrated Graphics.

I've found a Athlon XP 2400+ To get this board near the max it could handle... No klll like overkill I like to say... If I could manage to find a 2600+ with 266FSB I would get it, but they of the Unicorn family these days... So, the 2400+ Is the one it ended up getting!
WP_20161205_11_18_07_Rich.jpg
Also had to update the BIOS so it could correctly identify the CPU's ! It had the 1002 BIOS, it got upgraded to 1007 (There is a BETA 1008.001 but I don't like beta BIOS). This update also fixed the CPU FAN SPEED Sensor, as it was not reading correctly (It would jump between 12500RPM and N/A)

I intended to install 2GB of DDR400 on this, but the board only works with 1GB MAX, be it 1 stick of 1GB or two of 512MB... I've tried it with 2x1GB, but it fails POSTing, so 2x512MB Kingston ValueRAM DDR400 it got.

Got a CPU-Z Validator link to go with it 😉
http://valid.x86.fr/hnhn5d

Weirdly enough, the SPD tab on CPU-Z does not report anything. Tried it with diferent memory, but i guess it just does not detects it.

When I can, will get some games on it, and check some graphics cards on it. Have a bunch of cards and boards, so a few of POST's will be made with these (And others) parts!
WP_20161205_11_15_11_Pro.jpg

Have a nice day and have fun! 😁 Hope you enjoy these post, will post updates on it as it progresses!

Reply 3 of 15, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For the blue part of the Bezel if you don't like it its an easy fix even if its glued in place. Just get some painters tape and newspaper. Mask off the rest of the bezel and paint the blue part a different color. Also not a bad idea to do to the yellowed pastic, the retrobright may restore the original color but from what I've read around here it seems more temporary and it makes the plastic's brittle, so instead consider just a nice coat of paint over the plastic, doesn't need to be thick.

Reply 4 of 15, by NiPPonD3nZ0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I like the blue part, its just not well glued together... It was used super glue and contact glue and they let it run all over the chassis bezel and it as became a mess... Also, some of the tabs that hold it in place are broken so a replacement would bd the best solution... I don't like painted plastic very much... It usually looks like crap... Its hard to match the white of the chassis....

Reply 5 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice rig!

I agree about the PSU part, personally I wouldn't even take the risk using it, not worth frying the rest of the system for, but that's just me (I don't like fireworks 🤣).

And very nice storytelling! 😁

I also like the case somehow. Too bad it's yellowed, but it still looks good.

And I've seen the way that case's panels dismantle in a case I used in one of my s370 rigs I think?
I think it is a bit cumbersome, but at least with that case I don't forget to put the side panel screws back in and have the side panels fall out when carrying the case around 🤣!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 15, by NiPPonD3nZ0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The PSU is shitty but it wont kill anything for the time I will be using it... The computer is stable and working like a champ...

I've said, and will say again, the PSU is temporary and will be replaced by the repaired original when I have time, probably this weekend!

Meanwhile, just to check for stability:
WP_20161208_17_19_03_Rich.jpg

Passed 2 rounds with flying colors! Cannot leave the machine running over night because the noise it makes ... I got my dad living with me and he sleeps in the living room, where I have my stuff so can't do it!

For now, and to free up the 32MB of ram that were assign to the onboard GeForce 2 MX Integrated Graphics, I've added this to the build!
ASUS AGP-V8200 Deluxe - A nVidia GeForce 3 with 64MB of graphics memory! I have the 3D glasses for it, too 😉
WP_20161207_20_26_27_Rich.jpg

Instead of the Audigy 2 I've showned in the first post, I have added an Sound Blaster Audigy to the system, because I've got the front panel to go with it!
And it is as yellow as the rest of the chassis... I forgot I had this around... someday will have to catalog all I have @ home, so I can plan these builds better 😀
WP_20161207_20_20_07_Rich.jpg
WP_20161207_20_20_22_Rich.jpg

The illumination here at home isn't the best, so the photos look a bit crap. And my Lumia 640 DS is not the best camera, but it is the one I got.

The front chassis bezel looks like this, and it vibrates a bit... have to glue it properly!
WP_20161207_20_20_34_Rich.jpg

The case is awesome, the computer is turning very good, I just wish to have more time for it!!! Between work, wife and kid...Is hard to do this 😀 Hope you enjoy my old crap 😀

Reply 7 of 15, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can remove some of the yellowing and the black stuff off the front of the case using a chlorine based cleaning product (like domestos if you have it in your country) or chlorine salt based anti-mold solutions. Alternatively you could use detergents that release oxygen, like vanish. Mix the chlorine based detergent with a slightly abrasive dish-washing soap (like cif) and scrub toughly with the rough part of a dish sponge. In my experience this treatment removes 20-30% of the yellowing and removes all black stains and dark scratches w/o damaging the case. You can also soak it in a 1:1 chlorine based detergent / water solution and expose to UV for a couple of hours or 14-20% hydrogen peroxide hair cream before scrubbing for better results.

Reply 9 of 15, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That looks like a nice machine! I'm glad you took the time to clean it up - it turned out well. Too bad the blue part of the front bezel is broken-ish, I like the way it looks. The beige and blue color scheme has 2002 written all over it. Any chance of repairing the blue part? Epoxy might do the trick, or even hot glue. I'd second the retrobright suggestions as well, though I've never had occasion to use it myself. The beige plastic looks like it could really benefit.

I think the Athlon XP 2000+ and the GeForce3 are a good match. That system should be great for early Windows XP games and the vast bulk of Windows 98 games. You should be good to go with the Sound Blaster Audigy as well.

WTF was up with the screw holding down the chipset cooler? Did somebody lose the original push pin and use a case fan screw instead? I'm surprised the MB didn't break 😳

Thanks for sharing your build process. Although it did make me envious of your workspace and equipment! I should stop procrastinating and finish my Barton build one of these days.

PCGames9505

Reply 10 of 15, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The screw idea isn't uncommon I've run into it alot, as long as no traces are immeditly next to the hole no harm really happens, just don't use an oversized screw for the hole

Reply 11 of 15, by NiPPonD3nZ0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was surprised it didn't screw anything too! 😀

I've been away, but do check regularly on the forum, but have not been able to progress much with this build... Have got a couple of things done on this PC, both troubleshooting... The Audigy is unstable and randomly freezes the PC, and the motherboard is picky with RAM like a bit*h... More than this, in the last 5 months I could not do anything more. Had a fight with the wife about the living room being cluttered all the time and in a act of madness I've gathered everything and moved my stuff to my late grandmothers house... that is 100KM away, so I only mess with this stuff once a month.
One day, I will have my own room and them, THEN... 😀

Best regard from Portugal everyone!

Reply 12 of 15, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love the treatment for this old bugger !

I'm just finishing a machine that has the main competitor of that Asus GF3 of yours: the MSI Ti500 PRO-VTG and I have the galsses too 😜 😁

I'm eager to try them out

Heresy grows from idleness ...

Reply 13 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Liking this coming back from the dead.
If the Audigy 2 works better in the system, I'm pretty sure the front I/O connectors are the same so you can use the card but still use the I/O if you wish.

Reply 14 of 15, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Really love your thoroughness with this project. Wish I had access to an ultrasonic cleaner not contaminated with oil, carbon residues and detergents too 😁

You could always paint the front instead of using Retr0bright. That would take care of the blue part problem too.

Last edited by kaputnik on 2017-05-27, 10:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 15, by NiPPonD3nZ0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you all for your input on this. I also have a couple of Audigy 2 cards around, didn't know the front I/O kit of the Audigy was compatible with them. Gotta check that out...
I really don't like the painted plastic route... This is a solid chassis, it would make it look cheap... That or I can't paint for s**t...
I removed the shitty PSU from it and actually I'm in the process of recapping the original one. Will post pics when it happens!
Best regards from Portugal