VOGONS

First post, by zstandig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Dad has had this PC for a really long time. I remember it used to be in a desktop form but it somehow got converted into a tower and some other upgrades. I figured since full size AT towers are becoming something of a rarity I should post it.

Since, it isn't mine I can't check inside of it so I have to go by various anecdotes that I've heard over the years.

It's about 100MHz or so, either an older Pentium or a higher end 486.

No idea about the RAM

No idea about the video card other than that it's VGA and took to an older LCD just fine.

Since it has a "Creative" brand optical drive I'm guessing there's a Soundblaster in there somewhere since I believe they came in a bundle a long time ago. Dad doesn't care because this is a work computer not a play computer.

I heard my Dad mention that he has 3 hard drives in there. I have no clue how they've lasted this long. He doesn't care about getting new ones or backing up to newer media 😵 .

It has 5 1/4" Floppy, 3 1/2" Floppy, and some kind of Tape Back-up drive installed. None of those drives have probably been used in years.

It has or had a modem, I distinctly remember a large box that served as a modem, but I think it has a modem card too. It was online briefly in the late 1990s.

Because it's been under a desk for most of its life it hasn't been stained yellow... much.

Behind it somewhere there's a pair of speakers that although attached haven't been used in many years.

A well worn "Microsoft Mouse" is on the table above, it's never used due to being mostly a pure DOS machine now.

The keyboard is of a "Model M" style, yet it's AT and doesn't seem to be branded.

Windows 3.11 is installed on top of DOS 6.22 yet never used.

The RTC is probably bad because DOS demands to know the time every time when it's powered on.

The Laser Printer unfortunately broke down a while ago and either can't be repaired or whatever part it needs can't be identified. Surprisingly a 2005ish Laser Printer connected via Parallel prints just fine. Dad won't toss the old one.

Stories:

*Apparently when my Dad got it upgraded, the computer shop accidentally corrupted some important stuff. I still hear that story every now and then.

*I think Creative must have had a voice synthesis program that spoke what was typed. Let's just say a much younger version of me thought this was hilarious.

*Although it's a work PC it did play demo versions of Commander Keen, Doom, Ms. Pac-PC, and I seem to remember a side scrolling game involving a character with a magic wand that could make things vanish for a set time.

*Supposedly my Dad tried to install Windows 95 via an upgrade disk a long time ago, but according to him it was not a good experience, so he went back to Win 3.11 and ultimately DOS.

*It is still used for "Managing Your Money software, a DOS program that won't run on modern windows. I've managed to set it up in a virtual machine on a modern computer... but the prospect of transferring data, teaching my Dad to use the virtual machine, and getting it to work with the printer... proved too daunting to bother with.

*It has Whatever version of Microsoft Word that came out before Word 97 installed on it. I know this because I had a school assignment due, and the teacher demanded it be typed, right when my PC died. So I had to ask Dad if I could use this machine to type it all out. It was really nerve-racking going from XP to Win 3.1 and depending on what was to me; an alien system to do it on.

Attachments

• 1482344008417.jpg
    Filename
    1482344008417.jpg
    File size
    1.3 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 1482343965643.jpg
    Filename
    1482343965643.jpg
    File size
    1.28 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The keyboard is of a "Model M" style, yet it's AT and doesn't seem to be branded.

IBM had a patent on the Model M, so if it's not branded, then I'm not sure what you might mean by "'Model M' style".

I think Creative must have had a voice synthesis program that spoke what was typed.

Dr. Sbaitso?

It has Whatever version of Microsoft Word that came out before Word 97 installed on it.

That would be Word 95, but if it was Win 3.1, it would be Word 6.

Reply 2 of 4, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
IBM had a patent on the Model M, so if it's not branded, then I'm not sure what you might mean by "'Model M' style". […]
Show full quote

IBM had a patent on the Model M, so if it's not branded, then I'm not sure what you might mean by "'Model M' style".

I think Creative must have had a voice synthesis program that spoke what was typed.

Dr. Sbaitso?

It has Whatever version of Microsoft Word that came out before Word 97 installed on it.

That would be Word 95, but if it was Win 3.1, it would be Word 6.

Hello Jorpho, I am Doctor Sbaitso.
I am here to help you.
Say what ever is on your mind freely.

...Nostalgia galore in this post

As for the keyboard he probably just means it's an older mechanical instead of the later rubber dome keyboards people got stuck with starting in the late 90s?

That's a really well preserved computer. There are ways to get the yellow staining out. Heck, I'd pay your dad a few bucks for that case if he wants to downsize 😊

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 3 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice stories,
Its a classic case of why upgrade? this does everything I need it to do.
It may not even be MS Word! MS Works or Word Perfect were a lot bigger in those days.
If you wanted you could burn a few programs onto a CD to find out more about the computer. Dos programs can even run direct off the CD if your dad doesn't like the idea of installing anything. Phils Benchmark pack makes this real easy.
http://www.philscomputerlab.com/dos-benchmark-pack.html

Catch is older CD-ROMS sometimes have trouble with burnt CD's, In which case you can see the basic system info when you first turn it on.
(your right the 8x Creative drive dates it round a 486 or early Pentium)

But yeh, real interesting. nice to hear, hold on to it if he ever does get rid of it!

Reply 4 of 4, by zstandig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

* What I meant by "Model M style" was that it goes *clackity clackity clack clack* and is big/heavy and has a layout sans windows keys. It's comparable to my Unicomp but the keys seem to have less resistance and make a slightly higher pitched clacking sound. It is obviously from an era when computers were tools, not entertainment (in the modern sense).

*It is MS Word, I just didn't know what to call it since I know it's older than Word '97, I know it's 6.0 now because the images I found upon googling it matched the icon I remember. (it's a very striking icon, very distinct) I recall seeing the boxes for the tape drive, Dos 6.22, Windows 95 (upgrade), Windows 3x, and Word on a shelf somewhere in his office along with some loose zip disks.

*Sbaitso... thanks, now I know what it's called 😀

He uses it exclusively for "Managing Your Money", he uses modern computers for everything else. He hates Windows 8 and 10, I helped him get a new Win7 computer a few years ago and he kept it in reserve until he couldn't get away with using XP anymore.

Knowing him, Dad won't ever get rid of it, mostly because he doesn't get rid of anything unless it disintegrates 😜. Despite knowing that I've built computers and tinker around with them he prefers I not touch that computer, and I respect that. It's actually because of that respect I never thought to post it before despite posting my own computers years ago.