VOGONS

First post, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

Been busy with 2 projects where I intended to focus on my PI being finished first but due circumstances (postal service I guess), my PII project was finished earlier then expected.
At first I wanted to w8 for a load of old compaq computers from work to build the PII into but that changed when I got the "great" idea of recycling 2 Aopen towers for my PII and a "future" project.
Anyway lets start with the PII, I had 2 towers old identical Aopen cases which I wanted to clean up and 1 was in such bad shape it required abit more of attention:

although I technically still have a Pentium III in my slot I mobo it will be replaced as soon as I can get my hands on a 450 Mhz Deschuttes.
Anyway for the specs:
* Asus P3B-F Slot I
* Intel Pentium II 450 Mhz
* Nvidia Geforce 256 Herculess
* 2 3DFX Voodoo 2 1000 SLI
* 4x 128 MB Kingstone SD ram
* Sound Blaster Live! Platinum CT4760
* CD-RW
* Seagate 120 Gb partioned 3 times (Windows ME and windows XP)
* FDD
* Aopen 250W PSU

20161209_194017.jpg

Both cases looked like this when I got them, 1 was good inside while the other had some damage and rust inside so decided to clean them both up and do some custom painting while at it.
20161201_214817.jpg

I cleaned 1 up and painted the old blue plastic so it would look better. The other case did recieve some more love and I decided upon a custom 3DFX paintjob upcoming month. The outside will be Ral 9001 high gloss, the inside is painted high gloss black and the coloured plastic on the front panel is painted orange to be in line with the soon to be painted 3DFX logo on the side of the case
20161206_210859.jpg 20161230_204153.jpg

Yes I painted the right Tower black on the inside
20161230_204127.jpg

For now I have my system working in the Brick tower (the blue paint used in this tower was a leftover can from my old Car). Will soon update when I transplant my brick to the 3DFX tower.

20161230_204511.jpg

20161230_204451.jpg

20161230_204701.jpg
For now I am going to have some fun 😎

Last edited by deleted_Rc on 2017-05-14, 18:30. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 11, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

First update:
Couldn't w8 to assemble it after finishing the paint job, Currently waiting for my last part to be delivered before hopefully solving my cooling problems in order to mount a 80x80 fan on my Voodoo cards and another 80x80 fan to finish the air flow in my tower (had to drill some holes to mount a fan next to the I/O shield to cooling intake), and to finalise the build I did a poort attempt at cable management 🤣
Finished my custom 3DFX paint job, with metallic black and orange paint.
20170107_114213.jpg 20170106_110515.jpg

20161229_185254.jpg 20161230_204821.jpg

EDIT:
Anyone interested in the 3D design, plz send me a PM and I will see if I can sent it to you. It worked great for me.

Last edited by deleted_Rc on 2017-01-13, 15:26. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 4 of 11, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks great!

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 5 of 11, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The paint job looks good, the only thing to worry about is the paint chipping on the metal sides. I have that problem with my painted cases all the time.

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 7 of 11, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rhuwyn wrote:

I have the hardest time using a good slot 1 board for a PII rather then a PIII. I only end up with P2s when it's a 440LX board and I'm using a 66mhz P2.

Im the same way as well.

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 8 of 11, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

Nice paint jobs! I was wondering if white paint looked better than the UV/peroxide process.

Thanks, I prefer a paint job over a whitening process tbh as the results are more "permanent", current paints are less prone to "yellowing" with additional UV protectors and different fire retardant materials (iirc the most used fire retardent is either a chloride or alluminum), on top of that a clear coating with high amount of UV protector and scratch resistance

Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

The paint job looks good, the only thing to worry about is the paint chipping on the metal sides. I have that problem with my painted cases all the time.

i used a finish for additional protection. 2 layers of primer, 3 layers of "colour" paint and 2 layers of clear coating. usually 2 layers of colour is plenty depending on the primer and material. I used metal spray cans for everything but I started with 1 layer of plastic primer and then a universal primer.
I also noticed that if possible I suggest buying a can of car paint rather then traditional spray cans, they are abit more expensive but for are far more durable then standard ones (better UV protection and scratch protection with less amount of paint). This is my experience atleast when I was painting the blue and orange parts of both cases (where the blue paint was metallic paint for a car and the orange was a universal paint)

Rhuwyn wrote:

I have the hardest time using a good slot 1 board for a PII rather then a PIII. I only end up with P2s when it's a 440LX board and I'm using a 66mhz P2.

The P3B-F has the 440BX chipset which untill now has proven to be quite stable, however cooling became a problem when I closed the tower. The setup with a Geforce 256 (which I replaced the cooling with a better one) and then 2x voodoo 2 seemingly create to much heat which slows the system, even though that I already installed an additional fan inside the case which puts an air flow on both voodoo cards. As I was looking into that I noticed a 3d print design specially designed for this problem, I contacted a 3D printing company nearby with a request to design and manafacture such mounting rack on my SLI where I can mount a 80x80 Mm fan for more cooling (i'll post results later, if it works I will happily share the 3d design). It was unexpected that I would run into such cooling problem with a Pentium II in a midi tower 😠 .
Fun fact is that this was also the case back in 2000 when I had a similair setup in a old compaq rack which only housed a single Voodoo 2(only during summer though)

Reply 9 of 11, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

Cooling problems were more severe then anticipated 😵 ....
My computer started freezing up during games and OC benching so I decided to do a total rework of the system. First check out problem areas and actual air flow in the case. The heastink on the chipset seemed to be insufficient so I put a fan on it, my CPU dan was making this impossible so I had to mod this abit (cut the edges of the heatsink holder so I could move it more freely). The geforce finally received a new GPU cooler. Added a case fan for more ventilation.
Edit:
Applied some cable management with single IDE connectors from some old compass at work.

Last edited by deleted_Rc on 2017-05-29, 00:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 11, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Richo wrote:
Cooling problems were more severe then anticipated :dead: .... My computer started freezing up during games and OC benching so I […]
Show full quote

Cooling problems were more severe then anticipated 😵 ....
My computer started freezing up during games and OC benching so I decided to do a total rework of the system. First check out problem areas and actual air flow in the case. The heastink on the chipset seemed to be insufficient so I put a fan on it, my CPU dan was making this impossible so I had to mod this abit (cut the edges of the heatsink holder so I could move it more freely). The geforce finally received a new GPU cooler. Added a case fan for more ventilation. The voodoo 2 cooler works like a charm but going to order a huge aluminium Heatsink and cut out small heatsinks and place those on the chips, considering seperate gpu heat sink + fans for the bigger chips. Was tinkering with the idea on 3d printing a custom cooler for the cards but cost wise not worth it imo. The current wind tunnel effect I created on the SLI works great but theres room for improvement.

Improvements I made were directly noticable, the chipset was running to hot for touch before the fan (I guess it's around 30-40 degrees now) never guessed the 440BX would run this hot. Cpu sticks around 25 according sppedfan and mobo. GPU is alot cooler compared to stock cooler.

Edit:
Applied some cable management with single IDE connectors from some old compass at work.

Pics ? 😀

Heresy grows from idleness ...

Reply 11 of 11, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
AzzKickr wrote:

Pics ? 😀

my 3th post has a quick picture of it before I took it apart again after testing, I am still unsatisfied with the temperatures (especially my CPU which is running at 40-50 degrees currently in the bios). Took out the PSU (which was meant as a temporary replacement back then) and put it in my PI to replace its current HEC which had some disturbing voltages, ordered a replacement for it FSP-350-60-MDN (has a 120 mm fan) which should boost its air flow over the CPU and chipset which are both running abit hot for comfort. Finally I got my hands on a Geforce 256 DDR (tnx Sprcorreia 😘 ), also took this opportunity to order some overdue heatsinks for my voodoo 2 cards since the tunnel cooling I setup was poor after the second chip.
promise to update with new pictures asap! 😲

edit:
double fan slot 1 coolers are rare 😵