VOGONS

JATON JXM-10MHZ-V3, XT motherboard

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 37, by i386

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

denis74 , I afraid that hiram just UMB manager, it is not EMS. And it doesn't use specific hardware
that locations on our boards. UMB manager potentially might produced more problems than fixed it,
especially if your have a lot of cards with expansion ROM.

Genuine EMS memory must be locations above 1MB (at least as relocation high 384K of regular RAM),
but access to it from 16KB window in UMB memory. I guess, needs special driver or at least
documentation for board.

Reply 21 of 37, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
i386 wrote:

Genuine EMS memory must be locations above 1MB (at least as relocation high 384K of regular RAM),
but access to it from 16KB window in UMB memory. I guess, needs special driver or at least
documentation for board.

EMS is just a specfication, the memory can be located anywhere, even on a separate computer device (->EMS card, swap file, another PC via serial cable). 😉
That's why it was invented in the first place, because addressing memory above 1MiB wasn't possible on a PC/XT. So bank-switching was used..
The EMS Page Frame aka EMS Window is usually located in the UMA (where UMBs reside) and has a size of 64KiB with four pages (or slots) à 16KiB.
And the read/write requests are handled by the EMS manager software. Large Page Frame EMS also exists, it uses a +256KiB window (ex., Windows 2.x/3.x).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 22 of 37, by i386

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote:

EMS is just a specfication, the memory can be located anywhere, even on a separate computer device (->EMS card, swap file, another PC via serial cable). 😉

Yes, I apologize. But EMS locations in non-UMB area, since a lot of adresses in it reserved for
expansion ROM, VGA memory, EMS window and BIOS. Hiram driver ijust uses unused UMB area for
expansion DOS memorty, but it is not EMS memory.

Reply 23 of 37, by denis74

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thank you , is the right information . In msdos3.30 Checkit3 shows the entire upper memory to 1 MB free (in addition to video ROM and ROM BIOS ) and In msdos6.22 Checkit3 free only shows e000-efff (jp7 on) or d000-dfff to (jp7off). But - msdos doesn't want to boot into this upper memory , the only additional software and drivers. Also haven't managed to configure Himem.sys with xt . Today installed sipp modules 4 pieces 4096kb but nothing has changed. Prompt please , whether there are universal drivers for ems ram or maybe a program to automatically detect the driver , in extreme cases, at least the examples in assembler and algorithm programs for ems ?

Reply 24 of 37, by i386

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

EMS driver is specific for each hardware, it is not universal.
Big chances, that our boards do not support EMS at all, additional memory
maybe only for specific purposes, likely known cdisk.sys for JUKO XT.

HIMEM.SYS is XMS driver, only for 286+ machines (it used CPU features for memory manage).

Here link to EMS drivers collection (also some assembler sources is presented):
http://wiki.sensi.org/download/ems_coll.arj

Reply 25 of 37, by denis74

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thank you ! from this archive installed a driver for ems but so far without success , the only program for this Board is hiram , but found the driver for your Board TLB_V220.ZIP . ACC MICRO is at the beginning . Understand the latest j9 jumper if close to j8 + j9 or j7 + j9 the Board runs with one sipp module on 1mb but it can include the segment umb ram , maybe your Board works the same way.

Attachments

• Filename
    TLB_V220.rar
    File size
    199.37 KiB
    Downloads
    86 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 27 of 37, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
denis74 wrote:

Hi! I've got a motherboard as shown in the attached photo.
Contacts 17 and 18 (Address 8 and Address 9) simm 30 pin connect to a programmable logic matrix, the chip u4 on the Board.Most likely Your motherboard can work with 4mb memory .

I don't suppose you have any kind of user manual or other information for that board do you? I've got almost this exact same motherboard, but it appears to be dead - no POST.

It was working years ago when I put it into storage and the motherboard looks like it's in decent condition, so it's puzzling me. Mine had all 4 SIPP slots filled initially, but I've since lost/broken 2 of the chips. 😢

I notice the sticker in the bottom right corner of yours, mine doesn't have that and I can see the model number printed on the board - "JXM-JET 88-V2" with "Made in Taiwan R.O.C". It also seems to have a few other differences.

Attachments

• 20170526_113343[1].jpg
    Filename
    20170526_113343[1].jpg
    File size
    3.16 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Jaton Motherboard
    File license

Reply 28 of 37, by denis74

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes , the difference is minimal , the fee you pay a year older , a description of her I have , but the appointment of all the jumpers out . On your Board has scratches , look carefully ,perhaps somewhere damage the print path. Try connecting the speaker ,mute jp7 and leave one module in sipp bank0 ( 256k I think they are ) . Then adjust the seats and check the modules with the second module bank0 .The speaker will not give a signal error if not connected the video card and memory , only if you pass the first test will give a single beep. I could put your chip on your Board but are in Russia . You can ask pictures of your memory modules and if possible the firmware of the BIOS.

Reply 29 of 37, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now that you mention scratches, I hadn't really noticed them but it appears you are correct - right around the center of the motherboard where it has the Jaton logo, I notice several scratches right across vital paths. I guess I've found the problem and can confirm this motherboard is dead. 😢

Reply 31 of 37, by i386

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried out TLV_V220. As expected, it doesn't work on my board, since chipset is unsuported.
CHIPSET.EXE just stops my machine.

I found that turbo mode is switched <by ctrl alt +> (not minus!). So, first pressing <ctrl alt +> - turbo is
disabled; second pressing - turbo is enabled and etc. <ctrl alt +> do nothing. I apologize for invalid
information that I gave earlier!

Reply 32 of 37, by denis74

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Perhaps TLV_V220 will work with a certain jumper setting jp7 jp8 jp9. In my case, jp8 - includes access to UMB .jp7 - the address is selected from e000 - efff or d000-dfff. Jp9 - the use of memory modules 1024kb. Maybe you have other options. Try to use all the memory slots sipp and dip together.
What programs are you working to use UMB ?

Reply 33 of 37, by i386

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
denis74 wrote:

Perhaps TLV_V220 will work with a certain jumper setting jp7 jp8 jp9. In my case, jp8 - includes access to UMB .jp7 - the address is selected from e000 - efff or d000-dfff. Jp9 - the use of memory modules 1024kb. Maybe you have other options. Try to use all the memory slots sipp and dip together.
What programs are you working to use UMB ?

Seems, my board different from yours. SIPP and DIPP slots are connected pin-to-pin (I've checked), since no differences between using either SIPP or DIPP
on my board. My board have 3 jumpers, JP8 enable virtual memory, others jumpers are undefined. I guess, JP9 (IIRC) enable shadow ROM for adaptors;
selecting JP7(IIRC) - my board stopped during POST test.

TLB_220 just doesn't support my chipset (it supported only ACC micro for 286 machine). I've never used UMB as DOS RAM, since it might be produced
more problem than fixed it. I want or EMS driver (if it supported by HW), or driver for virtual disk (or so), like cdisk.sys for JUKO XT. Unfortunately,
currently I do not use "virtual"384KB.

Reply 34 of 37, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apologies for bringing up an old topic, but today I dumped the BIOS from my Jaton JXM-Jet 88-V2 motherboard that I mentioned here previously.

Seems the BIOS on mine is a slightly later revision to the one posted by i386 (jt8.rom) and mine is dated 12/01/88 (1st December).

I've zipped it up and attached to this post, it may be useful to somebody with this motherboard.

Attachments

• Filename
    JATON_JXM-JET_88-V2.zip
    File size
    6.72 KiB
    Downloads
    67 downloads
    File comment
    Jaton JXM-JET 88-V2 Phoenix BIOS 12/01/88
    File license

Reply 36 of 37, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
i386 wrote:

PTherapist, many thanks!!
What kind of chipset (main IC) on your board?
Could you make a photo of your board, if it is possible?

It's posted a couple of posts back: JATON JXM-10MHZ-V3, XT motherboard

Mine isn't working anymore. I thought at first it may have been due to scratches on the motherboard, but have since found other issues including broken SIPP chips with 1 of the pins snapped off and stuck inside bank 0. 😢

More worryingly, the D8259AC-2 "programmable interrupt controller" chip seems to have black scortch marks on several pins. I think this board is toast.