VOGONS

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Meat mr tiny! He's a unisys 5001 and happens to be made in the USA.
Don't really now what to do with this yet other then to max it out.

It came with:
133mhz p5 pent
1256k 15ns cache
2x 16mb 72 pin simms
A floppy drive that dose not even match the front cover.

What I done/will do.
Upgraded cpu to 166mhz p5 pent
Upgraded to 2x 32mb simms (done)
Add sound card.
Install 1mb l2 cache.
Put new 60mm fan in it.
Put floppy drive in it that matches the front panel (done)

I might remove the nic for a sound card and install a pci video card, but I don't think there are any low profile sounds cards good for dos games. I'll play around and see.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-01-16, 03:51. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe there is something missing in the picture, but why the need for a low profile card?

I remember having the 486 version. I'm sure it only had a single ISA slot, no PCI. I used some AWE64, one of the shorter Value ones I believe, it was full height though.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 9, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

In order to have both a isa sound card and pci 3D video card in the system I'll need to replace the nic with a sound card. The riser card slot is a shared pic/isa card on a eisa slot.

The nic is eisa and if I recall an isa card can be used in a eisa slot. I'll just need to take a multimeter to it to make sure nothing funny been done to the pin out. The nic is a one off card only used in this system.

Would be cool to have a voodoo 1 in this system or a s3 verge. Also the onboard video has 2mb of vram.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-01-13, 04:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 9, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Odd the system uses a custom pin out of the FDD, will have to make a cross over cable to use a better drive. I sold get the sound card today.

Its a diamond card.
Looks to have a real OPL3 and a both a 3.5mm jack labeled OUT and SPKR out. Maybe it has 4 channel sound? Being hop full there, probably the SPKR is amped and the out is not. Also has a mic and line in.

Seller photo. I could not find anything good locally. ISA sound cards are someone dried up were I live.
s-l1600.jpg

Reply 4 of 9, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The network card is ISA going by the traces. The chipset doesn't support EISA at all. Its likely the slot can be used for the PCI/ISA riser card in different case configurations.

Reply 5 of 9, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Yep its ISA card with a ESIA slot, kind of odd if you ask me.

Anyway I may replace it with a sound card and put a pci video card in riser card slot. The system has a serial port I could use for networking

Reply 6 of 9, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Got 64mb of ram in the system, 70ns, will get 60ns or lower down the road. But something is wrong with the riser card or sound card.
I also bought a awe64 gold for the system. I decided to keep it a pre 3d power house. I could have put a voodoo1 and some low profile isa sound card in the system but that would make it far less of a able dos system. Not many low profile isa sound cards out there that have good support In dos.

I also found out that the FDD drive uses a custom pin out and I'll have to make an FDD cable to use better/newer drives.

Ohh, and I cut a notch in the case to allow the use of longer isa cards.

should get the 166mhz cpu today or tomorrow, no clue on the l2 chache

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-01-13, 04:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 9, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes I know I'm being pedantic but can You please fix the spelling mistake in the title.
When I see the word "Meat" I'm expecting to see steak or pork chops or something like that.
Likely no vegetarians will read this thread either 😀

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.