VOGONS

386DX-40 Build

Topic actions

First post, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This recent build started out as a benchmarking machine for a fellow Vogoner. I originally installed the setup in an open desktop chassis, so that I could install and swap items out quickly and easily. Well, yesterday I decided to turn it into a full-fledged 386 gaming rig. As someone who is very OCD about cable management, I spent roughly 2-3 hours routing the front panel wires and wrapping the IDE cables to create a clean appearance, and maximize accessibility. PSU cables were sleeved with wiring harness tubing, and secured with heat-shrink.

The build:
Board: Edom (WinTech) MA014
CPU: PQFP AMD Am386DX-40
RAM: 8MB (4x1MB; 9 chip Intel) ( 4x1MB; 3 chip Micron) parity
Cache: ISSI 128KB
HDD: Maxtor 7120AT (124MB/130MB) IDE
ODD: Mitsumi quad-speed CD-ROM IDE
VGA: Diamond Stealth VRAM 1MB 16-bit ISA
Audio: Creative Labs CT1600 Sound Blaster Pro 2
Network: IBM Etherjet 10Base-T
I/O Controller: ACR(?)
PSU: Dell 200 or 230 watt ATX removed from Dimension 2400.
O/S: MS-DOS 6.22 / Windows for Workgroups 3.11

FPiwhJs.jpg
v2ocmZV.jpg
TwjM8p7.jpg
OyBryT0.jpg
33sj6T3.jpg
opkoEdj.jpg

Last edited by Brickpad on 2017-01-17, 18:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 28, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's about the cleanest, most organized build I've ever seen. Props and kudos to you for your cable management skillz 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 28, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why are you doing this to me? I'm currently trying to avoid starting a similar build, sorry, I was trying. Do you think you could pass by and help me with the cables? 🤣
Awesome job dude, really...

Reply 4 of 28, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very nice build and nice job with those cables.
Just as a matter of interest - the external battery holder's connector. Did you buy it like that (with the connector) or did you add it on later?

Reply 6 of 28, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jesolo wrote:

Very nice build and nice job with those cables.
Just as a matter of interest - the external battery holder's connector. Did you buy it like that (with the connector) or did you add it on later?

I robbed the 4-pin connector and wires from a dead PC speaker, and soldered them to the wires that came with the battery holder (N-size). As a side note, these N-size battery holders are super cheap, and compact. I would recommend using these in place of AA or AAA.

clueless1 wrote:

That's about the cleanest, most organized build I've ever seen. Props and kudos to you for your cable management skillz 😀

Thanks! This is probably one of the neatest and organized builds I've done so far. Lots of experimenting, patience, and practice paid off. 😁

konc wrote:

Why are you doing this to me? I'm currently trying to avoid starting a similar build, sorry, I was trying. Do you think you could pass by and help me with the cables? 🤣
Awesome job dude, really...

Sure. I have a stockpile of single and dual device 40-pin IDE cables. I usually cut them up in strips of 2, 5, or 8 wires, and bind them together with heat-shrink tubing (if I can get the tube around the connector), or zip-tie them.

I have a couple more of these Dell power supplies I may use to experiment with, like shortening the cables, or turn into a modular PSU. Nothing I hate more than unnecessary wire clutter. 😁

Reply 7 of 28, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quick update:

Swapped out the Diamond Stealth VRAM with a Tseng Labs ET4000AX. Did some quick benchmarking with between three cards with Wolf3d.

Trident TVGA8900C (1MB) = 13-14.9 FPS
Diamond Stealth VRAM (1MB) = 15.9 FPS
Tseng Labs ET4000AX (8bit DAC; 1MB) = 20.9 and 21.9 FPS

Reply 9 of 28, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At first I thought the cables were missing 🤣

It looks very empty actually, but only 1 ISA card was installed when you took those pics?

I also like the case and I very much like that you used an original HDD instead of one of those IDE flash cards (even though those seem to be quite good in actual use!)

Definitely a nice rig! And nice to see a 386 AT tower having been build. Is that larger CPU "socket" for some upgrade chip?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 28, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
At first I thought the cables were missing lol […]
Show full quote

At first I thought the cables were missing 🤣

It looks very empty actually, but only 1 ISA card was installed when you took those pics?

I also like the case and I very much like that you used an original HDD instead of one of those IDE flash cards (even though those seem to be quite good in actual use!)

Definitely a nice rig! And nice to see a 386 AT tower having been build. Is that larger CPU "socket" for some upgrade chip?

Yeah, I intentionally left out the video and sound card for an unobstructed view for the camera. I will take some after-shots soon. I love the sound of the Maxtor 7120AT, which has a unique seek test noise. The larger socket you see is for standard 386, and I assume, SLC CPUs judging by the Opti 495SLC chipset.

Reply 12 of 28, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Neco wrote:

I wish I could learn how to do that with ribbon cables

god that's one thing I don't miss about old computers

Ribbon cables are definitely one thing I don't miss either. I've tried to come up with a multitude of ways to create a clean look that provides accessibility. Eventually I decided the simplest solution is cutting the wires in even strips.

If anyone else is interested, I could write up a how-to tutorial with pictures?

Last edited by Brickpad on 2017-01-21, 19:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 28, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Brickpad wrote:

Ribbon cables are definitely one thing I don't miss either. I've tried to come up with a multitude of ways to create a clean look that provides accessibility. Eventually I came up with the simple solution of cutting the wires in even strips.

If anyone else is interested, I could write up a how-to tutorial with pictures?

I wouldn't mind seeing that. 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 14 of 28, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You just take a sharp blade, get the cut started, pull it apart like string cheese, fuck up, start over on a new cable. This was a fun "hack" before rounded cables became popular.

As for the 386, Bravo. I dare say I have not seen a more tidy setup than that.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 15 of 28, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

You just take a sharp blade, get the cut started, pull it apart like string cheese, fuck up, start over on a new cable. This was a fun "hack" before rounded cables became popular.

Yeah, it's a very simple process, but I figure it might be useful for the newcomers. For me there were some concerns when I started. At the time I was very short on 40-pin cables, especially the ones without that stupid blocked pin, so I couldn't afford mistakes. From what I remember, and I'm pretty sure now he was wrong, but a friend had told me that slicing these cables up would cause "crosstalk" and data corruption. So far I haven't had any issues.

As for the 386, Bravo. I dare say I have not seen a more tidy setup than that.

Thanks. As I look over this, I think there is still some room for improvement. I am mellowing over the idea of cutting off that P4 connector as there is no use for it in this case (or really any other future setup), but then I'd be left with exposed wires, so either I'd have to cap them off, or desolder them from the PSU, which wouldn't be easy. The other thing I don't like is the length of device wires. They take up too much space in that empty 5.25" slot, and I would prefer to maximize airflow. 😒

Reply 16 of 28, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Brickpad wrote:

Yeah, it's a very simple process, but I figure it might be useful for the newcomers. For me there were some concerns when I started. At the time I was very short on 40-pin cables, especially the ones without that stupid blocked pin, so I couldn't afford mistakes. From what I remember, and I'm pretty sure now he was wrong, but a friend had told me that slicing these cables up would cause "crosstalk" and data corruption. So far I haven't had any issues.

I saw the same ting about crosstalk somewhere reading about factory rounded cables and while it makes sense seems to be rare enough not to worry about

Brickpad wrote:

Thanks. As I look over this, I think there is still some room for improvement. I am mellowing over the idea of cutting off that P4 connector as there is no use for it in this case (or really any other future setup), but then I'd be left with exposed wires, so either I'd have to cap them off, or desolder them from the PSU, which wouldn't be easy. The other thing I don't like is the length of device wires. They take up too much space in that empty 5.25" slot, and I would prefer to maximize airflow. 😒

This is what got me into modular PSU's I had all these sata connectors left over once in underpowered PSU in a P3 so when looking for a replacement found out about modular. Got 2 and swapped the extra Molex connectors and SATA connectors for my old and new PC as needed

Reply 17 of 28, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote:

This is what got me into modular PSU's I had all these sata connectors left over once in underpowered PSU in a P3 so when looking for a replacement found out about modular. Got 2 and swapped the extra Molex connectors and SATA connectors for my old and new PC as needed

I've thought about using a modular power supply, but that'll likely be in the later future, for cost reasons.

UPDATE

Edom board was not keeping proper time. I replaced the batteries, but the clock would stop counting when the machine was powered off, and retained only the time at power-down. Swapped out the board with a Magitronic A-B345G and all things are normal.

Last edited by Brickpad on 2017-01-24, 01:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 28, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Weren't rounded cables more susceptible to noise due to the data wires not being separated anymore by ground lines?

I do have to say that the rounded cables look neater and make it easier to get optimal airflow, but I don't really prefer either over another. I just use whatever I have on hand (as long as it works).

chinny22 wrote:

modular PSUs do make more of a mess when you have to keep order to your storage of unused cables, especially since I don't like mixing up cables of different brands (not even sure if these are all the same though, but I'd prefer to use the cables that came with its original unit).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!