VOGONS

Pentium 1 project finished!

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

Seem to run into some problems with my mobo currently since my bios updates.
The ram check keeps repeating every boot for 5 times were it used to do it only once.
The award bios logo seems bugged as it's distorted now.
It began with the the bios update to 1.08 were the ram check began. Found a better update so hoped that would solve it in 1.11 (latest) sadly this corrupted the award logo in the boot screen.
I would like to flash back to 1.07 or earlier but cant find it online, or is there another possibility or cause?

Reply 21 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Faulty memory?

Or something else that is corrupting your BIOS files?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 23 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Richo wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Faulty memory?

Or something else that is corrupting your BIOS files?

memory was fine untill bios upgrade, what could corrupt bios files? I used a brand new FD for it.

My apologies, I thought I mentioned it but I probably forgot and mixed up a reply to someone else 😊
Perhaps your floppy disk is corrupt? You could try reformatting it or trying another floppy disk.

Floppy disks tend to not be very very reliable, even in the old days it was common practice to never trust a floppy disk. Heck, whenever I used sneakernet over long distances I'd bring a stack of floppy disks and preformat all of them at home first (full format, not the quick one) and copied all my files to at least 2 different disks (and the very important files I copied to 3 disks).

Yup...the good old days 😁

I haven't actually done many BIOS flashes (as I didn't want to break something if it worked the way it already was) so I don't know if your problem happens to be some typical BIOS flash thingy that went wrong here.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 24 of 26, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
Tetrium wrote:
My apologies, I thought I mentioned it but I probably forgot and mixed up a reply to someone else :blush: Perhaps your floppy […]
Show full quote

My apologies, I thought I mentioned it but I probably forgot and mixed up a reply to someone else 😊
Perhaps your floppy disk is corrupt? You could try reformatting it or trying another floppy disk.

Floppy disks tend to not be very very reliable, even in the old days it was common practice to never trust a floppy disk. Heck, whenever I used sneakernet over long distances I'd bring a stack of floppy disks and preformat all of them at home first (full format, not the quick one) and copied all my files to at least 2 different disks (and the very important files I copied to 3 disks).

Yup...the good old days 😁

I haven't actually done many BIOS flashes (as I didn't want to break something if it worked the way it already was) so I don't know if your problem happens to be some typical BIOS flash thingy that went wrong here.

Seems it's the bios updates itself that are distorting the images in the bios. Tried flashing to thea test beta bios and even more images corrupted, then I flashed back 1008 which is the first update on the asus website and everything was fine again. Even de memory 'bug' is gone, dunno why but it's staying at 1008 period.
Note to self: no bios updates unless necessary.

Ok, done with my P1 for now.... *runs back to tinker with his SS7*

Reply 25 of 26, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

Small update on this rig rather then my PII which was intended first, but thought to test my voodoo 1 before anything else rather then potentially overheating my voodoo 2 somehow 😵
Got in my heatsinks this week to improve cooling on my VGA cards which were running kinda hot (barely able to touch them for longer then 10 seconds), ordered in some 28x28 heatsinks and 10x10 heatsinks and a big sheet of thermalpads to stick em together.

20170707_131257.jpg

20170707_222730.jpg

after a stress test which I ran overnight I was satsified with the temperatures, I guess the chips get around 40ish degrees now with the heatsinks and some air flow over them opposed to 70-80 degrees before.

Realising how much I changed on this rig lately I also figured to do a full update:
- Replaced my old CPU cooler with a modded 370
- Replaced the old HEC PSU with the Aopen one I removed from my PII
- added a 120mm fan and placed it as a semi intake fan but primarily for air flow in my case (scraped from my athlon after replacing its CPU cooler)
- added a network card
- added a slot cooler some time ago but wont remove it now as it wont hurt cooling

20170708_223457.jpg

20170708_223531.jpg

last thing to improve on this rig but also on my PII would be to mod both the PSU with a 120mm fan for air flow.

Currently I setup a network with all my computer through several KVM Switches (monitors take alot of space 😲 ), hope to soon have a real old fashioned lan party with all rigs. This will be planned in winter as I am worried I might get cooling issues, when I was setting up the network enviroment on the computers it nearly hit 45 degrees in my room while the outside temperature was in the low 20's 😲 🤣

Reply 26 of 26, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very cool pc, looks quite close spec and build wise to my MMX 233, except I went for a Voodoo 2 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.