VOGONS

Pentium 1 project finished!

Topic actions

First post, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

Finally got a round to finish my pentium 1 project after a few minor setbacks *coughs* exploding PSU, DoM and mobo *coughs*
anyway I never expected this project to take so long (i am picky about my parts though), must say it feels very satisfactory to finally wrap it up.

Behold the tower of power! (so much power I cannot even make a clear picture out of it 🤣 )
20170119_143118.jpg

bad jokes and my poor photography apart, time for some specs:
- Asus TX97-XE with the Intel TX chipset
- Intel P55C 233 Mhz MMX
- S3 Virge DX
- Maxi Gamer Voodoo 4 Mb
- 2x 32 Mb SD Ram Kingston
- 32x Toshiba Cd-rom
- FDD
- Creative labs Sound blaster AWE 64 Value
- Samsung 1,2 GB HD
- 8 GB DoM
- 250Watt PSU (blew the Aopen one so using some random one right now)

20170119_142546.jpg 20170119_142602.jpg
I did some major cable management, in an attempt to hide as much cables as possibles. Since I was bothered with my sound cable not being long enough I extended it so i can pass it through the rear of the tower hiding it as much as possible.

20170119_143112.jpg

I setup a dual boot on this system with Dos and windows 98 SE, still need to install a boat loader so I do not need to change settings in the bios everytime,
the only thing left to do is buy or find 5 network cards to setup a lan party 😵

Reply 2 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is actually remarkably similar to one of the rigs I never got around to complete! Even down to the ASUS board (either the model you ended up using or a TX97-X), Virge DX, 2x32MB SDRAM PC-66, 233MMX and a Voodoo 1!

What happened to your AOpen PSU?
I've got a HEC with a similar label as yours (it's some 300W version) but as the PSU exhaust fan had died and my repair job was kinda...creative...I decided to only use it for tests and not for an actual rig (used a molex fan adapter which I wired back into the PSU for the new PSU fan. Kinda messy, but fast and easy).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 26, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

when I blew my DoM last week it also blew the PSU (and the IDE cable was burned aswell), this was the last PSU I had lying around. currently on the look out for 2 other old ATX PSU nearby.
I started out with a asus SP97-XV mobo, which was broken when I booted it (send it back and got a refund, bummer though I really wanted that mobo due to the SiS chipset), loved the board so much i had to have a similair one and the only which came close was this one. Bought the voodoo 1 on a chance for possibly being faulty but turned out to be alright fortunally.

so for future add-ons I might get a AWE64 Gold, PCI IDE adapter, another PSU and a new CPU fan (this one making hella noise)

Reply 4 of 26, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Look at my sig, i basicly have the same thing running except i run the sb16 and have an awe64 in another system. Also prefered the virge over the trio64 but it will perform mostly the same.

LOVE this system. It is THE system i've build for the voodoo1 and it is a perfect match. I wanted to build a p1 around the Asus p55t2p4 (great 430HX board) but i wanted to test the tx97-e first.
It worked very nice and i just left it. Ps/2 header is working nicely, didn' t use usb header but fixed that with a pci usb card (was easier).

Works fine for dos glide and win98se early glide games.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 5 of 26, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
meljor wrote:
Look at my sig, i basicly have the same thing running except i run the sb16 and have an awe64 in another system. Also prefered t […]
Show full quote

Look at my sig, i basicly have the same thing running except i run the sb16 and have an awe64 in another system. Also prefered the virge over the trio64 but it will perform mostly the same.

LOVE this system. It is THE system i've build for the voodoo1 and it is a perfect match. I wanted to build a p1 around the Asus p55t2p4 (great 430HX board) but i wanted to test the tx97-e first.
It worked very nice and i just left it. Ps/2 header is working nicely, didn' t use usb header but fixed that with a pci usb card (was easier).

Works fine for dos glide and win98se early glide games.

well 2 of our systems are already quite alike, and the rest thats on the agenda is pretty alike aswell (and yes I noticed it before on your sig 😵 ), my future projects being a SS7 build (this one will most likely house a Banshee) and PIII tualatin (this one a Voodoo 3). however before I can start on working on any of these projects I need to get a new table to house those computers.

Anyway I ran in some minor "annoyance" when I performed my bios update, my memory test in the bios repeats 5 times before it continues (fortunaly it only has 64 Mb instead of 256 oros 🤣 ). Don't know if this because of the bios update or anything else (tried using different ram already, since I changed the ram from 128 Mb to 64 Mb), all bios settings are standard. Could always skip the check but that doesn't solve the problem.

Reply 6 of 26, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently completed my Pentium 1 system as well, but I don't wanna brag about the specs and the process on your thread - unless you give me permission to do so. -.o

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 7 of 26, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
FFXIhealer wrote:

I recently completed my Pentium 1 system as well, but I don't wanna brag about the specs and the process on your thread - unless you give me permission to do so. -.o

Go ahead, I still need to start benchmarking this project (going to do that together with a friend who recently finished his) he still had most components
- atrend ATC-1020 (vs. My asus xt97-xe) (FX vs TX chipset)
- 233 Mhz mmx (same, maybe I should oc it 🤣 )
- 64 Mb EDO (vs. my 64 Mb SD)
- s3 virge dx (same)
- creative voodoo 2 SLI (vs. my Voodoo 1 maxi gamer)

I am curious to the benchmark results on both our computers (our build are similar but I wonder which computer gets the best results) and you're welcome to post and brag about yours 😀

Reply 8 of 26, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Should win this hands down, except for the 3d part ofcourse. V2 sli on a 233mmx is only really useful for higher res but it will still be faster than a v1 ofcourse.

Please post the results of this little duel!

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 10 of 26, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Richo wrote:

I am curious to the benchmark results on both our computers (our build are similar but I wonder which computer gets the best results) and you're welcome to post and brag about yours 😀

Ok then...

CPU: Intel Pentium P54C Pentium 200MHz (not MMX)
RAM: 40MB 72-pin EDO RAM (2x16MB + 2x4MB)
Motherboard: Matronix M55HI+ Revision A (latest BIOS)
Video: ATI Rage IIc 4MB PCI + Diamond Monster 3D II 8MB Voodoo2 PCI
Audio: Creative Labs VIBRA 16C (Sound Blaster 16) on MB
HDD: 20.4 GB Maxtor
CD: 32x IDE
Floppy: 1.44MB 3.5"
PSU: Dunno, but it works.
Operating Overlay: Windows 95 OSR2
Operating System: MS-DOS 7

I used the Diamond Monster 3D II because I had it and I wasn't using it and it works perfectly....and it would have cost me more money to find an actual Voodoo 1, so why not? Besides, it's got an extra 40MHz on the chips, a second texture mapper, etc. The benchmarks, however, show that it's heavily CPU-limited.

It's completely stable except for ONE THING - Carmen Sandiego Deluxe games. God, these two games I have randomly LOCK UP the system in DOS mode and inside Windows 95, Windows catches an "illegal operation" when that happens and closes the program. All other DOS games seem to work great. I'm learning about Himem.sys and Emm386.exe and I've gotten the MS-DOS footprint down to 19KB of Conventional Memory with everything else loaded in an Upper Memory block, including working Mouse and CD-ROM drivers (been playing Duke Nukem 3D to test).

Benchmark Scores using 3D Mark 99 Max (really wants 64MB of RAM to be happy):

3DMark 99 Max 3DMarks / CPU 3DMarks
Voodoo2 640x480x16: 1012/1322
Voodoo2 800x600x16: 1006/1329

VOODOO2 640 x 480 x 16
Quake 1 Timedemo1: 38.8 FPS
Quake 1 Timedemo2: 39.7 FPS
Quake 1 Timedemo3: 38.6 FPS
Quake 2 Timedemo1: 28.3 FPS
Quake 2 Timedemo2: 25.4 FPS

As a contrast, moving up to a Pentium II 350 MHz system and disabling the SLI ran those same tests as these scores:

Voodoo2 640x480x16: 2739/3123 (171% and 136% increases)
Voodoo2 800x600x16: 2518/3125 (150% and 135% increases)

VOODOO2 640 x 480 x 16 (SLI Disabled)
Quake 1 Timedemo1: 59.6 FPS (53.6% increase)
Quake 1 Timedemo2: 57.5 FPS (44.8% increase)
Quake 1 Timedemo3: 57.2 FPS (48.2% increase)
Quake 2 Timedemo1: 71.1 FPS (151.2% increase)
Quake 2 Timedemo2: 66.7 FPS (162.6% increase)

So I can see that my old Pentium II @ 350MHz was ALMOST 3x more powerful than this Pentium P54C @ 200MHz and gained a roughly 50% increase in framerates in Quake 1. I assume that Quake II jumped up that much because of MMX, but I have no way to verify this. I expect your test scores to be higher than mine not only because you have more RAM and a faster CPU, but because of MMX, even though the Voodoo1 card runs slower than the Voodoo2 in mine.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 11 of 26, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
FFXIhealer wrote:
Benchmark Scores using 3D Mark 99 Max (really wants 64MB of RAM to be happy): […]
Show full quote

Benchmark Scores using 3D Mark 99 Max (really wants 64MB of RAM to be happy):

Voodoo2 640x480x16: 1012/1322
Voodoo2 800x600x16: 1006/1329

did get some restults in:
3Dmark 99 Max 3Dmarks / CPU 3Dmark
Voodoo1 640x480x16: 1154/1656
Voodoo1 800x600x16: doesn't run on this, hangs itself.

will update with more results

Reply 12 of 26, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't believe the Voodoo1 is capable of any resolution other than 640 x 480. Doesn't it only have 2MB of Frame Buffer memory? The Voodoo2 has 4MB Frame Buffer that allows 800 x 600.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 14 of 26, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, there you go. I never had a Voodoo1, so I don't know specs. I just remember that it runs around 50MHz and has only one texture mapper, where the Voodoo2 runs at 90MHz and has two texture mappers each with its own memory bank (either 2MB or 4MB each). I know that my system "woke up" when I changed out my Pentium II for a Pentium III. I'm going to do a re-cap job on my Athlon XP motherboard before putting it through its paces with the new Barton core.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 15 of 26, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

It can do 800x600, as long as Z-Buffering is not enabled. Mechwarrior 2 will run at 800x600 for example 😉.
It can also do 512x384.

Cool trick, got to check that out one day 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 17 of 26, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
F2bnp wrote:

It can do 800x600, as long as Z-Buffering is not enabled. Mechwarrior 2 will run at 800x600 for example 😉.
It can also do 512x384.

I'll try that soon for shits and giggles, although the score will be low I guess.
Had to reinstall my windows due a corrupted .dll caused by the voodoo drivers . 😢 , furthermore will need to install more Glide games. Going through them when I have time however 8 Gb is limiting that though.

Yesterday I also installed my network, found a old realtek. My pentium 2 will also recieve a similar upgrade for a lan party I have planned with some friends (old fashioned retro lan party).
Also on the look out for a old PCI IDE controller for a reasonable price so I can get a second DoM for Dos dual boot.

Reply 18 of 26, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can also install your bootloader on DOS.

Grub4Dos for Example 😀
So you can launch your other system from msdos.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 19 of 26, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

This is actually remarkably similar to one of the rigs I never got around to complete! Even down to the ASUS board (either the model you ended up using or a TX97-X), Virge DX, 2x32MB SDRAM PC-66, 233MMX and a Voodoo 1!

This is almost exactly what I had built myself when I was a teenager in 1997 or 98 - My case was smaller but otherwise wow, 90% of the components listed here ring a resounding bell. Nice build.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!