VOGONS

Reply 20 of 25, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
amadeus777999 wrote:

Awesome system - many years ago I bought 2 similar boards(no idea if the were "revenge" or not) because I always liked the P60 - it was, for me, The Pentium.
Played through DoomII on one of them(overclocked to 66Mhz) and loved every minute of it!

Could you post some benchmarks?

Here you go:

3DBench 1.0c: 63.4
Chris's 3d SVGA: 15.8
PC Player SVGA: 8.4
Wolf3D: freeze
System Information 8: 190.0 for CPU
Speedsys: 44.62

I don't really want to overclock this CPU (only have one), but I'll probably be on a lookout for a 66MHz version. Really like this machine. I've also added a SoundBlaster 16 CT2940 with OPL3 and a Gravis Firebird 2 joystick.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 21 of 25, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks!
Mine had a Mozart sound card and Cirrus Logic video. The Matrox wouldn't work.
I overclocked mine to 66 even though it had only a passive heatsink. The additional FSB bump was a nice boost back then... when even single digit increments mattered.
When you get back to your machine could you "timedemo" Doom Shareware demo3?
complang has an entry worth 42.6 frames as its highest for the Pentium-60.

Reply 22 of 25, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
amadeus777999 wrote:
Thanks! Mine had a Mozart sound card and Cirrus Logic video. The Matrox wouldn't work. I overclocked mine to 66 even though it […]
Show full quote

Thanks!
Mine had a Mozart sound card and Cirrus Logic video. The Matrox wouldn't work.
I overclocked mine to 66 even though it had only a passive heatsink. The additional FSB bump was a nice boost back then... when even single digit increments mattered.
When you get back to your machine could you "timedemo" Doom Shareware demo3?
complang has an entry worth 42.6 frames as its highest for the Pentium-60.

I actually tried that, but got a weird result. doom timedemo from Phil's benchmark pack doesn't give you FPS but rather "gameticks/realticks" (if I remember it correctly). I couldn't figure out a way to get FPS.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 24 of 25, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, thanks!

It's 2134 gametics in 2077 realtics, which should amount to 35,96 FPS. So it's about 16% less — I wonder where does the difference come from. Unless they're running it at 66MHz?

Edit: found the table. Looks like they are using a Tseng ET6000 which should be faster than my Matrox despite having less VRAM. I actually have a 2MB ET6100 — guess I'll finally have a reason to test it 😀

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 25 of 25, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting - I remember the P60 lingering around the 40 frames mark, which another P60(Mercury chipset) in the list lived up to.
According to the person who submitted the erstwhile discussed results(42.6 on a PackardBell)... he even achieved a quite respectable 46 frames with sound disabled.
Could it be that PackardBell had a custom board design that gave their product an edge? (a segment in ComputerChronicles showed Compaq having custom performance enhancing board designs for Pentiums)