VOGONS

First post, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
  • Motherboard: MG 38606
    Cache: 128k
    CPU: Am386 DX-40 (choked to a DX-33 because of motherboard's restrictions)
    GPU: VFI VG-5000 512kt ISA (Tseng Labs ET4000AX)
    RAM: 8mb
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar 1.6Gb (with EZ-drive software)
    Floppies: 3.5" 1.44mb (Panasonic) and 5.25" 1.2mb (TEAC)
    Optical: DVD-R/RW (LG)
    Sound cards: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Pro 2 (CT1600), Roland LAPC-I

20170131_205241_zpsjsvvsxyf.jpg
20170131_204453_zpsy3k681sv.jpg
20170131_205047_zps7fysc409.jpg
20170131_204354_zps1pylwe1j.jpg

Something new, something old. I received this motherboard from a trade deal and I just had to build up my "Dream Machine 1991" for games roughly from era 1989-1993 (Sierra, Lucasfilm, Origin...). I removed my 486 build from this great looking chassis so I could use it for a proper 386 build. Unfortunately for some reason the motherboard doesn't support full 40mhz of the CPU I bought so it's capped at 33mhz speed. Not a big deal actually (I don't mind as long as borderline MHz-snobby games like Wing Commander 1 work fine). The barrel battery was replaced by previous owner with a simple macgyvered CR2032 battery holder. It's ugly but it works. I'll just hide that inside the case. 🤣

The hard drive itself was actually a compromise between authenticity and user ergonomics. At first I wanted to use two 512mb Compact Flash cards as drives C and D (since I need at least 800mb for my games). But then I ran into trouble trying to get the D drive working. For some reason the motherboard just couldn't recognize any CF adapter as a secondary drive even with jumpers set as master and slave for both adapters respectfully. But there were no problems if a single CF card was configured as drive C. Eventually I just gave up and installed (a bit-too-modern) WD Caviar 1.6gb and used EZ-drive to free up the whole HDD capacity for DOS to use. Works like a charm.

That DVD burner is too modern to be periodically correct, I know. But I needed it for bigger data transfers through CD-RW discs since I still have not received my USB-2-IDE transfer adapter from eBay that would do majority of the data transfer work. With VGA and sound cards I think I hit the sweet spot: ET4000 is pretty much The Best ISA Card Ever IMHO (even with only 512kt memory) and LA-synth combined with OPL-3 FM-synth gives me everything I need for the games from mentioned era. I'm satisfied. Nay, I'm happy. 😁

Reply 2 of 8, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty much the essence of the 386 era and a damn nice case... congrats on this great build!

(I put my LAPC-I in a K6-III build, thus loosing the LA synth... But it could be compensated by the external route: Music Quest MPU clone to CM-32L)

One might also consider an MCB-1 connection to a GM synth for the odd GM game that runs well on a 386, but that is probably out of scope and "period- incorrect".

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 3 of 8, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Those old caviar drives are actually quite nice to listen to. As far as I'm concerned, the best HDDs that've come out of WD to this day :p

Some are sought after now since they're less common and many want the authentic sound.
Bearing hum (check)
Crazy startup sound with the plunk (check)
Hollow seek clicking (check)

Reply 7 of 8, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I love the case and came very close to buying one similar.

It almost has an essence of an Imperial Storm-trooper about it.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks