VOGONS

WIP: No dollar unspent dual tualatin build.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 103, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

He somehow thinks that Voodoo 6k cards have performance which can only be unlocked by playdough and Peltier action.

Read this with appropriately somber or comedic music.
http://www.xtremehardware.com/forum/showthrea … 4b3c85ba24eff47

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 21 of 103, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPI … 157&whichpage=2

Most places where he posted have been cleaned up where he spammed and picked fights.
That one is the only one I know of that still mostly original.

Reply 22 of 103, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

I feel like the lights are off and I can't find the light switch. What is this about a 3dfx guy who is breaking Voodoo6 cards? Where can I read up on this. What is the purpose of killing the Voodoo6 cards? To increase the value of his own?

I think he simply may have wanted to troll an entire successful community to death...and he succeeded.
Some people seem to simply are too jealous or selfish and this one apparently had too much time and money on his hands.

Iirc he also managed to get all Rampages, but I'm not sure about this.

I can fully understand them not wanting to talk now, perhaps it's better this way seeing how things ended up.

Some people seem to seek nothing but destruction for their own pleasure.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 23 of 103, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the info. It looks like this guy went to the trouble to design a water block and peltier cooling system with controller. It seems like he went to all this trouble before determining if the cards actually worked well. Then people sold their Voodoo5 6000 cards to him and he broke them by literally putting play dough all over the PCB. This guy's objective seems to be to overclock a rare graphics card to sneak out a few extra frames per second. This is kinda like running your rare Cyrix 5x86-133 at 150 MHz by lots of extra cooling - too risky, no thanks. And this guy seems to have really deep, or endless, pockets of cash. I guess be careful who you sell too.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 24 of 103, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

He did not even make the water blocks. He sent the card off to some guy who made them. He had nothing to do with it.

Also he could have gotten a better OC if he put a good air cooler on the card. One of the tech chillers he used probably made more heat then the v6k ever could. And he only broke 3dmark scores do to his core i7 and pcie converter. Give me a voodoo6k and a i7 and I can brake his scores overnight.

But last I heard he had I think 7 or 8 voodoo6k's only two of witch still work and every rampage board.

Reply 26 of 103, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I was one he spammed trying to buy a 6k, I thing he offered 5k or 6k to begin with, I told him that I would not sell him one, at the time I did have one. Sold it to another 3dfx collector for less then 2k.
Shortly after I received an almost indicial PM from him, but he was using a different account. I think he offered 7k that time.

I told him no, he did the same thing a few times offering 1k more each time. I recall him going unto 11k or something around that. He also stole one that I recall. He did something that convince a v6k owner to let him lend him one and he never go it back. Or so I been told.

At the end of all that me and a few other mass PM'd all his accounts and told him we would not be selling to him at any price and to stop spamming our inbox's. He really was a big problem spamming every 3dfx site with 5 or more account they to buy/steel a voodoo6k. Gold leader had to take down his voodoo6k owners list to keep that info hidden from him. Other wise he would hid the owners up and spam them lick hell until they sold him the card. I ended up making threats against him to shut him up, I think a few others did to.

He really was a problem, even if he did not kill any voodoo6k his spamming, trolling and fight causing was bad enough.
Some of us did some digging and found he was some rich kid that got all his money form his dad or something.

Reply 28 of 103, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fascinating story. I have some hardware I'd sell him for 11K. Maybe we can convince him that not so rare hardware is rare, starting with a floppy drive 😀

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 29 of 103, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, people end up crashing VERY rare cars..... AT LEAST THEY USED THEM! Sorry, that's how i feel..

Yes, he may have made some bad decisions but it was HIS hardware and he payed enough for it. He DID make some fine coolers for them and turned them into a piece of art if you ask me.
If someone actually sold him the card for an extreme amount of money (like 5k+) i guess that's a crime too.

And people keep dragging on and on about the playdoh card and how he killed it while it was stated by someone WHO FIXED IT that the card wasn't dead, simply had dirty connectors.

I love 3dfx cards and do not have a lot of money (and can not ever buy a 6K) and maybe i have some other hardware that other people can not find or afford but i would simply HATE it if therefore those others could tell me what to do with MY hardware. Stop bitching about it and get a life....

BTW: great dual tualatin! 🤣 😎

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 30 of 103, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Honestly if you aren't apart of the 3dfx community at that time you will not understand. A lot of what he did has been removed off what 3dfx sites still exist. He picked a lot of fights and spammed a lot of sites, it goes way WAY deeper then just killing v6ks. I alone had to constantly deal with him mass spamming my email and inbox on every forum I was apart of. He kept trying to get me to sell him a v6k and did get pretty nasty with me after I stoped replying. Got even worse when he found my phone number.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-02-18, 05:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 31 of 103, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Im close to being done on the hardware end.
Just need the CPUs, finish up some wireing, the molex cables I found will need to have ends put on them for my psu. I'll have to mod one of the heatsinks as a few caps are in the way.
Ill buy some smaller caps so I'll not have to cut off to much from the heatsinks. But I can't find any good 6.3v 1200uf caps around 6mm tall

Reply 33 of 103, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
feipoa wrote:

How about mounting the caps 90 degrees? That is, parallel to the motherboard's PCB?

I did think of that. It will save about 1mm. For 1mm it's not worth it. I'll need 6mm or less and the smallest good cap I found that would work is 9mn tall

Reply 37 of 103, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
phosgene wrote:

I'd probably go RAID 0+1 as well. Shame the card doesn't seem to support 1+0, that's my go-to RAID level these days.

I thought about raid 01, I really like that idea. but given that I have 5 drives I'll probably go with raid 5.
Raid 01 requires an even number of drives and I could use the 5th as a spare, I rather not go thought that trouble. A hot spare seems like a better idea and raid 5 will give me that.

Reply 38 of 103, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I got the cpus today.
Recapped the board too. Found that I was abit off on the heat sinks. I forgot about the IHS. Still had to put 3 caps on there sides.

Reply 39 of 103, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

neat project. Cant say I agree with the choice of mobo... I'm one of those weird people who like server and workstation boards. keep going though!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.