VOGONS

First post, by IndieStu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone!

I just recently build myself a pretty nice modern full on Gaming and rendering Rig with a kaby lake i7 and an AIO Water cooler and so on. While building it and speaking alot to freidns about the good old times where we used to overclock with jumpers etc. I felt the need to go back to those times and play all the games from my childhood again. And especially try out all those famous and nice ones i never got to play because i was just too young. I build my first system somewhat around 1998 with my dad from older parts he used to have lying around.

Now the plan is to build around some hardware I got from friends and familys basements. Unfortunately we gave away all our old hardware we used to have at the attic a few years ago. The target is mostly Glide and OpenGL, with a system which pretty much maxes out the year 1999. I want to go with Win98SE

What i got so far:

- Intel D815EEA OEM Motherboard for Dell with Socket 370.
From my researches it should be from the time around 1999-2000 and is not really for overclocking but i think i won't need to do that anyways.

- Pentium III 1GHz, should also be from 99 and should be more than enough for all the games i have in mind.

- CPU Cooler Thermaltake TR2 for Socket A and that one should be from around 2002 or something but a friend of mine still got it. And it has coloured LEDs so it sits just fine in the modern rgb hype 😁

- Matrox G400 Millenium. Unfortunately not the MAX Version but because i'm searching for a pair of Voodoos don't really need the Second VGA. Also from late 1999.

- 2x SDRAM Dimms from transcend with 256gb each. Should work with the board and standard win 98 also since it is max 512mb when I'm not confused there.

- Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 SB0060

- A Gotek Floppy Emulator because I dont really want to fiddle around with floppys anymore.

- For 3D I'm still on the hunt for a nice pair of Diamond Monster Voodoo 2s

Where i could need some more advice is storage. I got a 400GB IDE HDD at home. But it's super old and also way too much for W98?! I also got 2 Seagate Barracudas with 80gbs each. But they are Sata. Is it fine to just get a cheapo SATA to IDE Adapter?
Also there is the issue of a case. I could get a Chieftec Dragon CS601 for around 10€ but I'm not quite sure if it fits to 1999. Earliest tests I can find date back to '02.

From your thoughts is there something I'm missing hardware wise in terms of compatibility and i would love to get some feedback on the system so far (also in terms of the setting beeing 1999). Would I be better of with a Riva or something similar instead of the Matrox for 2D and the non Glide Games?

Thanks for your help from germany!

Reply 1 of 1, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome aboard! 😀

Dude go get that Chieftec case!! Now 🤣!

Intel D815EEA OEM Motherboard for Dell with Socket 370.

This is absolutely perfect!...except the Dell part. Dell used a lot of proprietary PSUs back then, but there should be adapters available to make it work with ordinary PSUs.

Pentium III 1GHz

+

CPU Cooler Thermaltake TR2 for Socket A

CPU is excellent! CPU cooler should be more than sufficient 😀

Matrox G400 Millenium

That VGA should be a nice start since you already have it. With the rest of your parts (provided you get that Dell board to work) you should have ample choices.

2x SDRAM Dimms from transcend with 256gb each

PC-133? Even with just a single DIMM and that board you should be set 😀

Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 SB0060

SB Live is a nice start! I don't know from top of my head if that's one of the more problematic OEM parts though.

A Gotek Floppy Emulator because I dont really want to fiddle around with floppys anymore

Well unfortunately I will have to subtract some point there dude...just kidding 😜
You do what you want 😀

When it comes to harddrives, some prefer to use the biggest they can get away with and some prefer period correct. Myself I prefer to use whatever I have available and will work for my intended purposes. If it's just for 9x gaming I don't need 400GB. Heck, even 20GB will cut it! 😜

I've used SATA drives with the help of an IDE adapter. From what I heard, it might be problematic but so far I haven't learned of any very big difficulty concerning these adapters (except maybe for being made too cheaply (China etc)).

Btw, your rig seems to be more something for Windows ME instead of 98SE.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!