Next project - Gateway 2000 486DX2

Topic actions

First post, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

So I've been hunting for a Gateway 2000 desktop PC similar to what my parents had when I was little. I can't remember if ours was a 486 or a P5 Pentium. Regardless I found one on eBay and made an offer with the seller who accepted. It will need a thorough cleaning inside and out, but those of you who know me I keep my machines clean. Specs - 486DX2 66MHz, 8MB RAM, 3.5" floppy and CDROM drive. Acquired a Genoa 8500VL (rebranded Cirrus Logic) VLB card and a 3COM 3C509 for it. Will use a Yamaha YMF719-S for sound. The only thing that's missing now is.. a hard drive. I don't have any leftoeuvre IDE ones but I was wondering since i have a spare SATA/IDE converter lying around (pictured) can I use that with a 2.5" SATA 80GB Hitachi laptop hard drive with the 486? And which drive oeuvrelay software would I need?

IMG_488632.jpg

Here are the sellers' pictures of the Gateway 2000 and the Genoa. http://imgur.com/a/hizSA

I'll be sure to keep you all posted.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 1 of 39, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The documentation for the Hitachi feature tool indicates that it can program the controller to soft limit disk size. You can set a low limit to confirm that it works but also 32GB and 8.4GB to see what the IDE host supports.

https://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#FeatureTool
https://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/downloads/FT … r_Guide_215.pdf

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 39, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That should be a fun project it will look good all cleaned up. What all are you going to load onto it?

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 3 of 39, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

The documentation for the Hitachi feature tool indicates that it can program the controller to soft limit disk size. You can set a low limit to confirm that it works but also 32GB and 8.4GB to see what the IDE host supports.

https://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#FeatureTool
https://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/downloads/FT … r_Guide_215.pdf

Thank you! I will give that a whirl when I get the machine.

I'm planning on using MS-DOS + WfW 3.11 on this rig and use it for older games + MIDI... my Vectra has DOS + WfW 3.11 + 95 but that's really more an all-around retrobox

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 5 of 39, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Alright I got everything in the mail today. Cleaned it up nicely, tossed in the cards and nothing at power on. I'm guessing the power supply is dead but I have no other AT machine to test it with. Any suggestions?

Also the CDROM drive is a SonyCDU31A. The ribbon cable is included but it has a proprietary 34 pin connector Can't really use it since I do not have the proper interface for it.
Here are some pictures!

http://imgur.com/a/XGTi8

Used a paper clip on the CD drive, turns out it has the factory system disk as well in great condition.

http://imgur.com/a/SkKdQ

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 6 of 39, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I love the look of those early Gateway 2000 systems. And it has PS/2! What a bonus. What CPU are you going to run in it?

I would recommend checking all jumpers on the motherboard and to open the PSU and check for bulging caps. You can also try an ATX to AT adapter and test the system with an ATX power supply.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 7 of 39, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

MOOOOO.

You'll need to get your GW2000 mug to go along with it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gateway-2000-Coffee-M … %3D151744531108

feipoa wrote:

I love the look of those early Gateway 2000 systems. And it has PS/2!

Gateways were very competent clone machines, you typically got the full package: PS/2, serial, parallel. There's also a slimline gateway 2000. I always feel sad inside when I see a socket 7 mobo with a lone AT plug and no I/O.

Reply 8 of 39, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

I love the look of those early Gateway 2000 systems. And it has PS/2! What a bonus. What CPU are you going to run in it?

I would recommend checking all jumpers on the motherboard and to open the PSU and check for bulging caps. You can also try an ATX to AT adapter and test the system with an ATX power supply.

I opened up the PSU and got rid of some dust. There was a fuse, I just took it out and put it back in. Machine turns on now but no video... guessing the VLB card I got could be faulty? If I turn it on without the VLB gfx card it will beep. Genoa 8500VL Rev G if that helps.

Any chance I can find the original manual of this sucker online?

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 9 of 39, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was also going to mention about the fuse but my kids were screeming, so forgot. Use your multi meter to ensure that the fuse is intact. There could be a hairline connection in the fuse which is sometimes touching and sometimes not.

For testing, I would remove all the graphics cards and put in a ISA graphics card. You also want to check all jumpers. Who knows what curious hands have been in there.

Reply 10 of 39, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOn't have any ISA or other VLB cards to test with. The seller I bought my Genoa from said it was tested and worked fine before he sent it out.

Is it a possibility the processor is bad? The motherboard has a light and it lights up when turned on.

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 11 of 39, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

Machine turns on now but no video... guessing the VLB card I got could be faulty? If I turn it on without the VLB gfx card it will beep. Genoa 8500VL Rev G if that helps.

Your picture shows two VLB slots.
Did you try the card in both slots?

Reply 12 of 39, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep, no dice. Could it be a processor or mobo issue? The case is standard baby AT so worst comes to worst I could toss in a different 486 or Socket 5/7 board in there and play around with that.

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 13 of 39, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could do that, but then it looses the appeal of an all OEM system. Often, though, OEM systems have different holes for where the keyboard and mouse ports go and many stand-alone motherboards will not fit properly.

I suggest trying different CPUs, RAM, and expansion cards. If you don't have any, then I suspect you are recently getting into this hobby. If that is the case, wait a few months and you'll have all kinds of old computer parts coming out your ears.

Reply 14 of 39, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What kind of monitor do you have connected to the Graphics card. Those older cards don't Always play well with new monitors. And also check if the VLB card has jumpers for FrontSideBus speed and scanline rate. I received an VLB Cirrus logic card where the jumpers where gone and didn't start till I populated two places where jumpers needed to go.
If the system beeps without the VLB card in it then it means it detects the card but the card can't produce any image. So the problem is between the card and the monitor.

Reply 15 of 39, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been building retro PCs for years but I never end up with spare mobos or processors somehow. RAM, drives, some expansion cards yes...

I'm using a Dell 2007fpb monitor and the 486 DX2 66 tower I had last year had the same exact Genoa 8500VL Rev G, so I know the card is compatible with the monitor. There is only one jumper on the card and it is configured properly. As for the motherboard ones, they're all good as well.

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 16 of 39, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Argh, tried another 486 DX2 66 in the gateway 2000, still no beep/post/video but it does turn on... jumpers and everything else are correct. So, looks like mobo or PSU

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 17 of 39, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I got another VLB card in the mail and it fired up fine. Now I gotta set the proper HD settings in BIOS to get the machine to recognize the drive. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of setting the drive capacity via that Hitachi utility to under 2GB just to be safe for now.

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 18 of 39, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

I don't have any leftoeuvre

🤣

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 19 of 39, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

Argh, tried another 486 DX2 66 in the gateway 2000, still no beep/post/video but it does turn on... jumpers and everything else are correct. So, looks like mobo or PSU

You said that card was a Cirrus - was that a GD5429, by chance? I have a JX30GC motherboard that I think came out of a Gateway - it's a 486 VLB board - and it won't POST at all with a Cirrus GD5429 card installed. A GD5428 or a Tseng ET4000/W32? No problem. Either of the 5429s? Acute failure to chooch. I wonder if you're seeing the same thing.

If it is the same board, however, I can report that it doesn't have the 528MB limit (but does have the 8GB limit typical to that era).

ETA: Looked at your photos - if that's not a JX30GC, I'll smoke my hat.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.