VOGONS

Reply 160 of 170, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Builds are never complete! Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 161 of 170, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I cant believe its just about over!
Has been one of the most epic builds here both time and effort as well as the whole mod's and cooling side of things.
Always liked the attention to detail, I'd have lost interest many months ago!

Reply 162 of 170, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks guys 😀

So thought I'd give an update on some things I've done while I wait for that motherboard.

Changed the soundcard

Unfortunately, the combination of the 3dfx drivers, the Nvidia drivers and the Monster Sound drivers DID NOT play well together. Nvidia + 3dfx - no issue. Nvidia + Monster Sound - no issue. 3dfx + Monster Sound - no issue.

But together. The system just doesn't like it. So I've swapped back to my Creative Sound Blaster Platinum Live! for now, and it works fine. No Aureal, but when the new motherboard arrives I'll give it a shot on that and see how it runs.

GeForce2 Ultra 3DMark

I've yet to find an overclock I'm happy with, but it currently sits on 9600 3DMarks in 3DMark '99 at stock using 45.23 drivers. I'll have to give it a go with older drives as per Phil's video.

Voodoo5 PCI MAC

Since I got my hands on one of these, I'll likely swap over to it if it overclocks well and is stable. Since it came from some second hand market in China and not from a collector, I have no idea what it's been through and what sort of lifespan I can expect from it. Will have to go and test it on another PC for awhile to make sure it's both safe and stable.

Hope to update with a cool dual CPU upgrade soon... if it works. 🤣

Reply 163 of 170, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
x0zm_ wrote:
Thanks guys :) […]
Show full quote

Thanks guys 😀

So thought I'd give an update on some things I've done while I wait for that motherboard.

Changed the soundcard

Unfortunately, the combination of the 3dfx drivers, the Nvidia drivers and the Monster Sound drivers DID NOT play well together. Nvidia + 3dfx - no issue. Nvidia + Monster Sound - no issue. 3dfx + Monster Sound - no issue.

But together. The system just doesn't like it. So I've swapped back to my Creative Sound Blaster Platinum Live! for now, and it works fine. No Aureal, but when the new motherboard arrives I'll give it a shot on that and see how it runs.

GeForce2 Ultra 3DMark

I've yet to find an overclock I'm happy with, but it currently sits on 9600 3DMarks in 3DMark '99 at stock using 45.23 drivers. I'll have to give it a go with older drives as per Phil's video.

Voodoo5 PCI MAC

Since I got my hands on one of these, I'll likely swap over to it if it overclocks well and is stable. Since it came from some second hand market in China and not from a collector, I have no idea what it's been through and what sort of lifespan I can expect from it. Will have to go and test it on another PC for awhile to make sure it's both safe and stable.

Hope to update with a cool dual CPU upgrade soon... if it works. 🤣

-I suppose you want Win2k/XP for the dual CPUs, I think neither will get along well with the Aureal card. Something to consider after you've installed the new mobo: dual-booting vs. 2k/XP only and sticking with a creative sound card.

-Did you stick with the Canopus in the end, no love for the Quadro2?

-Very envious of that Mac 5500... do tell us how well the DVI works when you get a chance to test it! Personally, I wouldn't even care if it overclocks, the DVI is that important to me.

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 164 of 170, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
slivercr wrote:

-I suppose you want Win2k/XP for the dual CPUs, I think neither will get along well with the Aureal card. Something to consider after you've installed the new mobo: dual-booting vs. 2k/XP only and sticking with a creative sound card.

-Did you stick with the Canopus in the end, no love for the Quadro2?

-Very envious of that Mac 5500... do tell us how well the DVI works when you get a chance to test it! Personally, I wouldn't even care if it overclocks, the DVI is that important to me.

Will likely be used with XP. I haven't used an Aureal Card w/ anything past 98SE before so if that's the case, then it's likely for the better.

Yes, stuck with the Canopus. It's too cool not to use...

...but if the Mac 5500 works out, I might swap so I can use DVI for both on my proper monitor and save a bunch of desk space not having to use the CRT. 🤣

Reply 165 of 170, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mac card seems to work well, which is nice. So it's looking like the ELSA GLoria III & V5500 Mac at this stage to make use of DVI.

Motherboard and other goodies arrived today but won't be able to mess around with them for awhile since I'll be out of town for a bit.

I'm not sure if I'll use the Tiger 230T anymore since I've got my eyes on an MSI Pro266TD Master now.

Native dual Tualatin support, PC2100 DDR RAM support, AGP 4x. Never used the Apollo Pro266T chipset before though. Though it seems a lot closer to the "ultimate" Pentium III motherboard in terms of feature set.

Bonus: I will not feel guilty at all watercooling the Quadro since they are nowhere near as rare as the Canopus card. Plus the cooler is only push pin and not screwed and sealed with gunk. 😉

Reply 166 of 170, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dunno how I missed this for so long but congrats OP, what an interesting project. Love the attention to detail and style shining through.

It's a shame that the Monster sound card didn't come to the party in the end - the Live! is a fine card but not nearly as interesting I don't think. Maybe you could try a different Vortex2 based card if you come across one.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 168 of 170, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks guys!

Still haven't had a chance to try out the new board. But this is the card I'll be using now -

EitXxKDl.jpg
nMiWqLBl.jpg

Don't see that on cards very often these days 🤣

Reply 169 of 170, by D3FEKT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
x0zm_ wrote:

I'm not sure if I'll use the Tiger 230T anymore since I've got my eyes on an MSI Pro266TD Master now.

Did you end up getting an MSI Pro266TD? I was bidding on one from ebay the other day, Went up to $200AUD which i just couldnt justify.
Arguably would be the ultimate dual Pentium 3 motherboard - 4GB's of DDR ram and dual Tualy 1.4s would be amazing.

Reply 170 of 170, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
D3FEKT wrote:

Did you end up getting an MSI Pro266TD? I was bidding on one from ebay the other day, Went up to $200AUD which i just couldnt justify.
Arguably would be the ultimate dual Pentium 3 motherboard - 4GB's of DDR ram and dual Tualy 1.4s would be amazing.

Unfortunately not. Will be sticking with the 230T for now. Waiting for a couple of things to be in stock before making the change over.

But if I come across another one I wouldn't be against upgrading either. 🤣