Build Log: P3/V5500/GF2Ultra Water Cooled Build - A Marriage of Retro and Modern

Showcase your Retro PC / Build logs.

Re: Build Log: P3/V5500/GF2Ultra Water Cooled Build - A Marriage of Retro and Modern

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-10-12 @ 15:46

x0zm_ wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:Anyway about that block, there are a few on ebay.

Unfortunately all the shipping to Australia is more than the block :(

Probably for the better, that block was know to fail, they had a lot of problems with the company that made there blocks back then and that was the one block the really put the nail in the coffin for TT water cooling rep.

Anyway the system is looking good.
Jade Falcon
l33t

Re: Build Log: P3/V5500/GF2Ultra Water Cooled Build - A Marriage of Retro and Modern

Postby x0zm_ » 2017-10-16 @ 08:37

Here's the loop!

What you don't see is the drain port - because I need to wait for the PSU shroud for that.

The splitter coming off the reservoir has a port at the bottom. The drain will be down there.

Here's my progress on the new backplates.

I still have to do the sound card one. Then I'll make them and after that it's just taking the whole PC apart, installing it all and putting it back together and we're done!

The journey is almost over boys! :-D
x0zm_

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-10-16 @ 22:58

Nice looking. The dragon stuff is not really my style. But i sure can respect the work your putting into it.

Cant wait to see the syatem up and running.
Jade Falcon
l33t

Postby x0zm_ » 2017-11-06 @ 12:07

Just when I think my wallet is safe.

Cut acrylic is on its way. Awesome new SATA sleeving from MDPC is here. Even more storage for the PC will be installed shortly. What more could you want?

I was doing research for my 2005-2006 PC build that I was going to build in honour of World of Warcraft: Classic announcement. A nice AMD FX-55, 7950Gx2, all that sweet stuff I wish I had when I was playing 12 years ago. I was researching what blocks are still available for the Gx2 aside from the Koolance one from performance PCs. I remembered Aquacomputer made one so I went to their site. What do I find?

Image Image

Image Image

A forward port GPU block, full copper and acrylic, still in production and in stock, Made In Germany block that will not only fit the Voodoo5 5500, but specifically mentions the GeForce2 as well!?

30 Euros each. That's 90 Euros for three, plus shipping (and likely minus 19% VAT tax), plus another pump and reservoir, plus fittings.

The downside? They are G1/8 threaded instead of G1/4. That means soft tubing only, since those are the fittings they sell. They also sell G1/8 threaded male to G1/4 female, but that starts getting ridiculous by the time you go G1/8 to G1/4, to 90 degree fitting, to compression fitting.

I could run soft tubing for it. It would look stupid as hell with all the rigid tubing right above it. Or is it a nice contrast between that new and oldschool? I don't even know anymore. :depressed:

The mind says no but the heart says yes. I've come this far already. I'm so close to being done. It's turning out better (and more expensive) than I ever dreamed of. At least it's something I can add after the fact. I don't have to do it now, I can do it later. I'm relieved to know something does exist, and it will do exactly what I want without resorting to dodgy mounting (CPU) or questionable quality blocks (Thermaltake) or basically guaranteed awful blocks (no-brand Chinese chipset blocks).

Sigh

Here's three pictures I took today when I was sharing something on Discord, that shows my front panel under UV light, and my new MDPC SATA sleeving.

Image (Imgur really hates compressing this image)

Image Image
x0zm_

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-11-06 @ 16:44

You may be able to have the tops re tapped to g 1/4
Jade Falcon
l33t

Postby Richo » 2017-11-06 @ 20:01

Jade Falcon wrote:You may be able to have the tops re tapped to g 1/4

if thats possible I am buying those right away :exclamation:

A forward port GPU block, full copper and acrylic, still in production and in stock, Made In Germany block that will not only fit the Voodoo5 5500, but specifically mentions the GeForce2 as well!?

could you post a link?
TX97-XE, P55C, S3Virge, Voodoo, AWE64
GA-60XT, Tualatin, Albatron Geforce4 4200TI
A7N8X Deluxe, Barton, A9800 XT
Strix X99, Haswell-E, Gigabyte Aorus Pascal
Richo

Postby x0zm_ » 2017-11-06 @ 23:02

Maybe, but don't want to risk damaging it because that's $50 down the drain otherwise... but they do appear to sell spare acrylic top covers for 9 EUR each. Hm

Richo wrote:

could you post a link?

Sure mate. Right here:

https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_in ... ts_id=2097
https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_in ... ts_id=2071

https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_in ... ts_id=2591 (top cover)
x0zm_

Postby Richo » 2017-11-07 @ 00:39

There is no need for that, aquacomputer has 1/8 to 10mm fittings.

Clicky

I hate the imperial system the US still use for measuring :angry:
3/8 =9,5x mm and they sell 10mm, instead of G1/8 to 3/8 fitting.
TX97-XE, P55C, S3Virge, Voodoo, AWE64
GA-60XT, Tualatin, Albatron Geforce4 4200TI
A7N8X Deluxe, Barton, A9800 XT
Strix X99, Haswell-E, Gigabyte Aorus Pascal
Richo

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-11-07 @ 19:01

Richo wrote:

There is no need for that, aquacomputer has 1/8 to 10mm fittings.

Clicky

I hate the imperial system the US still use for measuring :angry:
3/8 =9,5x mm and they sell 10mm, instead of G1/8 to 3/8 fitting.

Doesn't the UK will use imperial for some things?
But yes is can get tricky compared to metric at times. 12 inches in a foot, 48inch in a yard, I think its like 1760 yards in a mile and so on.
But in metric it's always 10's
Jade Falcon
l33t

Postby x0zm_ » 2017-11-15 @ 06:23

Got some updates going on:

Acrylic is done but not assembled - will hopefully get that done on the weekend. Just need the time to go shopping to pick up the paint colours I need, sit down, paint things, line everything up and bond it.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

In order of what's here: GeForce2 Backplate, V5 5500 backplate (now with BGA vent holes, thanks voodoo5_6k way back when for the idea, will still be raised as well), PSU Shroud bottom plate, PSU shroud top plates.

There are other things I didn't take pictures of like the audio backplate, case backplate, all the support pieces and more. It's really cool.

I am likely going ahead with the 3dfx waterblocks now. I just can't justify not doing it after all the other work I've put into it. Here is my diagram for how I'll achieve it without using too much soft tubing.

It will be in a separate loop most likely, so as not to interfere with the work I've already done and allowing me to install it completely independently of all prior work - with the added bonus of dual coloured liquids! UV green for the CPU/RAM, UV blue for the 3dfx. I will not cool the Canopus Spectra 8800 simply because it is too valuable and rare to me to remove the stock heatsink and surrounding RAM copper plates. The V5 is collectible but not overly rare (yet) and I've removed enough of those heatsinks to be confident in what I'm doing. I've measured out enough room at the back fan area to fit a small pump and reservoir combo, while putting a radiator at the top of the case.

Either way, that will be coming AFTER the initial build is complete, so stay tuned for the painting, assembly and installation of all this acrylic!
x0zm_

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-11-15 @ 18:23

As always nice work. I would still have the tops taped to G1/4 thread if possible.
Jade Falcon
l33t

Postby x0zm_ » 2017-11-22 @ 05:22

Jade Falcon wrote:As always nice work. I would still have the tops taped to G1/4 thread if possible.

They sell spare heads, so I'll buy one of those to test on. If it works I'll do it, if not then I'll stick with the plan. Can't lose either way :D

I might be ordering it earlier than expected due to a new work contract. Hopefully as early as late next week.

So got some painting updates:

Image Image Image

Looks great once the last remaining bits of protective paper are removed to show the back underneath. There's just one small problem.

Pigments are a bitch, and it looks dark blue, almost purple under UV light. That's fine though. It still looks cool. If I really end up hating it I'll do a clear UV blue coat so it looks blue in daylight, in UV light and in any other situation.

I need to assemble the shroud now, and then do the GPU plates and motherboard IO cover.
x0zm_

Postby chrismeyer6 » 2017-11-22 @ 05:33

Your build is absolutely amazing. I can not wait to see the finished system.
chrismeyer6

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-11-22 @ 17:39

Yes getting the right shades of any color can be hard. My UV green system has 50 shades of green. Ok more like 2, dark green and light green.

Nice work by the way.
Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-12-01 @ 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
Jade Falcon
l33t

Postby x0zm_ » 2017-12-01 @ 11:44

So true on the colours.

Anyway, got some pics!

Image Image

IO Shroud fits nicely.

Then I took everything out of the case. I decided to use the spare 570X I had to do the work on, in case everything goes wrong I can always go back to the original case.

Drilled out the rivets and removed the stock PSU Shroud. I kicked it so it's a bit bent. Doesn't matter.

This is the case afterwards. Super dirty because it is still filled with shattered glass pieces, along with all the metal shards.

Part of the case wasn't even painted properly. Corsair quality. :lol:

All parts of the case taken off, since they will be replaced with the good, non glass filled/scratched ones from the main case.

And now the case is nice and clean, and ready for the custom PSU shroud to be made and installed.

And here's some pictures of the card backplates that are prepared for painting for when I hopefully pick up the paint tomorrow.

Image Image Image
x0zm_

Postby x0zm_ » 2017-12-02 @ 16:56

Was a bit bummed out that it was pouring down rain all day today. Apparently it's raining whenever I need to paint something.

Regardless, I went ahead with other parts of the build, or preparing rather. Since it was the first time I had the original PSU shroud fully removed, it was the first time I could properly test fit my custom one. I haven't glued it together yet since I need to find the best way it fits together within the case and tape it up nice and tight so I can get it right. That seems to be coming together nicely.

Excuse the poor quality photos, it was dark and raining outside so the photos are pretty crap without natural light. The top plates are black, the back plates are UV green.

Image Image
Image Image

So the GPU/Audio backplates will go onto those cards once they are painted. The PSU shroud will be finished and the loop re-installed over the coming week I hope. :cool:

Still raining today. Just fitted more stuff.

x0zm_

Postby x0zm_ » 2017-12-04 @ 00:40

Since it was still raining, I did the PSU shroud. I haven't fully attached the top and bottom halves and they are held together with tape, but this should give you a decent idea. Not much to say other than I glued it all together. It turned out super well, in my opinion. I've just put pics in order of things happening.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Yeah, it's dirty. I'll have to clean it.

Anyway, I was fairly happy with this test assembly, so I brought it to UV light, and then it just got cooler. I am so happy with how it looks. Photos don't do it justice.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
x0zm_

Postby x0zm_ » 2017-12-06 @ 01:23

PSU Shroud installed into the case. It's not fully level, but it will be once the PSU is installed since it was designed to rest on it partially with some supports I made.

ImageImage

Still on track to get that loop re-installed this week/weekend. :cool:
x0zm_

Postby chrismeyer6 » 2017-12-06 @ 01:51

Your build is absolutely beautiful man I can't wait to see the final product.
chrismeyer6

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-12-06 @ 17:50

8-O Nice work!
Jade Falcon
l33t

PreviousNext

Return to System Specs