VOGONS

First post, by manicminer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings,

This is going to be my first PC build in many many years 😀

Can't really boot it up because I'm still waiting for the DALLAS DS12887 RTC to arrive.

Specs:
- CPU: Intel A80502166 - 166 MHZ
- RAM: 16Mb
- MOTHERBOARD: Expertboard EXP8551 V1.1
- VGA: S3 Trio64 2Mb
- SOUND: Sound Blaster 16 CT2770
- NETWORK: Conceptronic RTL8139D (Planning to use mTCP + FTP Server for file transfer. Not sure yet)
- HDD: Seagate 20Gb. I want to get a 2Gb one. This build is going to run DOS 6.22

Any ideas/tips are welcome. Cheers

- Frame after paint job. It was rust. Gave it a good cleaning and gray matte paint.
20170310_235833.jpg

- Motherboard
20170310_235937.jpg

- Front of the case. I have to connect the Power Led and change the display from 133 to 166, also need to get a case badge for it 😀 . Also need to change the CD-Rom because I don't think it looks good in that case.
20170311_012659.jpg

- All in place. Waiting for the cover to dry. Had to paint it, matte white, because of rust and scratches.
20170311_094610.jpg

Reply 1 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks excellent! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 9, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've never seen white ISA slots before! That's cool. 😀

I wouldn't worry too much about getting a 2GB drive. If one falls in your lap, great, but use what you got. FWIW, I've never actually had to jumper a drive down to 8.4GB, but I suppose it depends on the motherboard. At least you can make 4 partitions since DOS 6.22 supports up to 8.4GB. If you do end up doing that, remember to assign your CD to drive letter G: up front so that C-F are available to assign to your HDD partitions.

Good luck, man!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:

I've never seen white ISA slots before! That's cool. 😀

The Abit PV4T also has white ISA slots and there are other boards with white ISA slots as well. But suffice to say that when I first saw this I was quite surprised 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 9, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very cool.
Just as a matter of interest - how did you paint the case? With a spray can or did you paint it with one of those small sponge rollers that some people use to paint wooden doors.
I'm just wondering what's the best way to "repaint" a case.

Reply 5 of 9, by manicminer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you all.

I have never seen a white ISA connector board before. It was a nice surprise.

I used cheap spray. The gray frame turned out really really great, but the white one for the case, not so good. Although is already dry, I will keep it in the garage for a couple more days because the spray smell is really nasty. Will take a picture soon. Overall, it turned nice.

I can't find Power led pins on the motherboard nor on the manual, so I connected it to the Keylock pins (used +5 and ground pin). It lights up, but can't really see if it "locked" the computer until I can have a picture on screen.

Reply 6 of 9, by Jr_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why don't you use win98se instead of msdos? I think it's more flexible.
Btw the frame turned out great, would like to see the cover to get the idea of the finished product 😀

my build

Reply 7 of 9, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice! I really like that case.

manicminer wrote:

I used cheap spray. The gray frame turned out really really great, but the white one for the case, not so good. Although is already dry, I will keep it in the garage for a couple more days because the spray smell is really nasty. Will take a picture soon. Overall, it turned nice.

I have the same issue with a heavily rusted AT case I'm trying to restore. The gray spray paint on the chassis looks great, but I cannot get the matte white on the case cover to look as good.

Reply 8 of 9, by manicminer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

>> Jr_ ,
I haven't made my mind yet. I don't have enough Ram simms to make this machine usable on Windows 98 I think. With luck, I might be able to get 32Mb max for it. Although, I could boot it straight to MS-Dos, by disabling the GUI. Should there be any downside of using fat32 (windows 98) vs fat (ms-dos), compatibility wise?
After this project, I was thinking of recreating my first Windows 98 computer, with a slot 1 P3 @450Mhz, Riva TNT2 and Sound Blaster 128Pci, and this one would run native Windows 98SE.
Will post more pictures as soon as the case is finished.

>> TheMobRules,
Thank you. I really like the case too.
Same for me. The white paint is not so good. Will post pictures soon. The case / paint still smells terrible.

Reply 9 of 9, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you're not dual-booting, then FAT32 should be fine: even rebooting into real MS-DOS mode will use Win98's DOS (MS-DOS 7.1) which supports FAT32. You might find the odd program here or there that would throw a wobbly if it sees a filesystem more than 2GB in size, but I've never bumped into that. Be careful if you monkey with any old low-level utilities, but if you don't have any reason to do that, you shouldn't have any problems.

I'd offer to send you some 16MB EDO SIMMs, but I suspect shipping will be painful from the US. I remember seeing a lot of folks in the EU selling them on US eBay, though. I got mine from a seller in the Czech Republic, and they were pretty cheap. With that board you should have no real issue using 64MB SIMMs if you can find them.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.